The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lakers break off on chase/any tips  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Lucero87

• IceShanty Rookie
Lakers break off on chase/any tips
« on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Hi,

Looking for any tips on how to make a laker commit when chasing a jig instead of breaking off. Any help is much appreciated!!

Usually fish current creek/buckboard and Anvil. Like to target structure, especially inside turns that break from the river channel into flats.

Running 38" to 42" solid graphite and fiberglass rods. Reels sizes 20 - 30. Ice braid 8lb-15lb with flouro, co-poly, and mono leaders. Using tube baits from 2.5 to 6 inches. Internal and exposed jigs lead jigheads 1/4 oz to 1 oz. Helix 7 at my best capacity. Jigging spoons absolutely kill the pups, swedish pimples piece of worm and p-line kokanator. Reel bait tournament jigs and kalin jerk minnows as well.

This season has been good to me, just having some trouble on sealing the deal with lakers on the chase. Have read as much I could on forums and YouTube regarding the subject. Figured I'd ask my fellow local fisherman.

Hoping for a big one through the ice this season. Biggest laker for me has been 31lbs, but thats in open water.

Thanks!

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lakers break off on chase/any tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I think it’s just the name of the game with lake trout. Those big lakers are 30+ years old and have seen every lure/jig under the sun, specially in the gorge. If you catch one a day your doing better then 99% of the people that fish for them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.