Author Topic: Pickled pike  (Read 1914 times)

Offline jetsfan2188

• IceShanty Rookie
Pickled pike
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Gotta ask what people think is the best recipe to pickle pike. Or any other way to eat them. Happy fishing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Pickled pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Here is a recipe that I found:

I've used the recipe several times and found it to be quite excellent!

Pickled Northern Pike Recipe

This recipe can be used with any fish but northern pike works best. Before using this recipe be sure to freeze the fish at least 5 days. This will destroy any parasites that are present in the fish or bacteria that may have been picked up during the cleaning process.

Ingredients
5 pounds of fish chunked
2.5 cups of canning salt
1 gallon of bottled water
1 quart distilled vinegar
5.5 cups of sugar
4 teaspoons pickling spice
1 cup dry white wine
1 onion cut into pieces

In a plastic container dissolve the 2.5 cups of salt in the gallon of bottled water and add chunked fish. Refrigerate for 48 to 72 hours. Remove fish and rinse in cold water. Cover fish with white vinegar for 24 hours and refrigerate.

Remove fish from vinagar and pack in jars with pieces of onion. Cover with the following solution.
--1 quart distilled vinegar
--5 1/2 cups sugar
--4 teaspoons of pickling spice
--1 cup dry white wine

Bring all ingredients to a boil except the dry wine. When solution has cooled add the dry white wine and cover fish. Seal with lids that have been scalded. Refrigerate at least once before eating.

(Note for a twist I will add some of the following olives, Jalapeno pepper slices, Banana Pepper slices,  Peperoncini peppers (whole), or Asparagus sticks,)

Cajun Pickled Pike

* 4 cup white vinegar
* 3.5 cup white sugar
* 7 bay leaves
* 15 whole cloves
* 2 tsp. whole allspice
* 4 tsp. whole mustard seed
* 2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
* 2 cups sweet white wine
* 4 cup pickling salt
* 2 qt. cold water
* 4 lb. skinless pike, bones removed, cut into 1 inch chunks
* 4 cups additional white vinegar
* 4 medium onion, thinly sliced
* 2 lemons, thinly sliced
* 1.5 tsp Cajun spice

First day:
Combine 1 cup vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, cloves allspice, mustard seed, cajun spice and peppercorns in a saucepan. Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Cool. Add wine. Pour into a plastic or glass container. Let pickling syrup sit at room temperature for 4 days.

Mix pickling salt with cold water; stir thoroughly to dissolve salt. Pour over cutup skinless fish and refrigerate 48 hours.

Third day:
Rinse fish with cold water and cover fish chunks with vinegar. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

Fourth day:
Drain fish and discard vinegar. Loosely layer fish, onion and lemon in glass or plastic containers. Completely cover with pickling syrup and cover tightly. Refrigerate for five days, stirring once or twice during that time.

Ninth day:
Pickling is done. Pickled pike may be stored covered with the pickling syrup in a closed container in refrigerator for up to 5 weeks. Makes approximately 4 qt.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:25 PM »
When I was young and before I started to eat fish, I would catch Pike and give them to an elderly neighbor at camp. He swore by his wifes Pike Chowder.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:56 PM »
i have always beer battered them they tastes is simular to waleye if you get the"y" bones out if not it cough and spit lol's.  any ways there is some good recipes out there i alway have mine with onion rings when i beer batter any kind of fish. another good one would be a spicy beer batter. just depends on what you like there is also a good recipe for spicy tatar sause. if you need it just ask. 

Offline NITE-BITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Fill a quart jar 3/4 full with bite size chunks of fish.
Add,
3 tablespoons of salt
1/4 cup of sugar plus another tablespoon
2 teaspoons of pickling spice
1 large onion cut up
1 bay leaf, optional.

Fill the jar all the way with white vinegar.
Cover the jar.
Turn upside down in the refrigerator for 5 days.

It's good to go.

Offline The Kraken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:22 AM »
Either smoke or bake or fry:
1) Smoke - Boneless but skin on
2/3) Bake or fry - Bonless fillet no skin

Favorite way is baking with Panko + mayo/miracle whip @400 for 8-12 minutes, healthy and tastes great.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:10 AM »
love me some pickled pike come on ice
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Pike are probably my favorite fish to eat. I just roll it in flower and fry it. Nothing elaborate. I generally don't experiment much with fish cooking.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.