Author Topic: alternative methods to frying perch, gill, and walleye  (Read 8290 times)

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
Re: alternative methods to frying perch, gill, and walleye
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:15 PM »
the poor man's lobster is better with burbot than pike. the texture of burbot is less flakey, and it stays together better.  Also if you're looking for a way to get crispy filets without the oil, fish crisp works great in the oven as well. Also, i've been experimenting with different flavours of shake and bake, it seems to work pretty good too.
Still counting.....

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:29 PM »
a fishloaf is always an option for those who don't want to fry, bake or broil.    EZ to do and works well as leftovers.  put the meat into the freezer until firm but not quite solid.   run your fish thru the shredder blades of a food processer or meat grinder, mix with egg(s) and crushed cheetos/crackers/breadcrumbs. press tightly into a bread pan so there are no air pockets. cook at 350-375 til the juice runs clear.   cover with foil and let the juice soak back into the loaf for 30 minutes or so.  this keeps the fishloaf from drying out.   the flavor of the fish goes back into your eats instead of down the drain.     we do this alot here with suckers in the spring, salmon in the fall and pike year round.      we use our own "old bay'' with no salt, bootlegged from budget101.spiceblends.    shredded cheese is always welcome in our meatloaf/fishloaf.  let your tastebuds decide.   swiss works for me most of the time.  another good option is to add some salsa to the mix. homemade or storebought. remember with salsa, it raises one notch when heated/cooked.    mild becomes medium. medium becomes hot.  hot becomes a fire without beer backers.
enjoy

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2012, 01:35 AM »
i have done a few things posted here in the past year and it turned out good for me ( the baking styles and the walleye with salsa). another thing i did was use a ceder plank on the charcoal grill. after soaking the plank in water for a while, i put some blue gill fillets on it. i just brushed the fillets with olive oil and sprinkled with some seasoning (old bay or any other would work). it actually wasn't bad, and they didn't dry out on me. just gotta make sure you don't over cook em. i ended up making sandwiches on wheat bread with tarter sauce, lettuce and provolone cheese.

but remember, this was just an experiment...... 
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #33 on: Sep 22, 2012, 05:18 AM »
Them Perch Patties look good!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 22, 2012, 08:18 AM »
When I was growing up we caught alot of salmon in St. Joseph river. My mom would can them. The recipe rgfixit shows is a dead ringer for the salmon patties we would make. Eat on bread with a little yellow mustard. Poorman's lobster is very good but we use the tail section after fillets have been removed. Let cool and melted butter, My wife likes a little lemon juice. A friend takes a paper plate and puts fillets on and sprinkles lemon pepper on then, Covers with another paper plate and nukes for 3 minutes. It is not bad. I just cant get past a good old battered deep fried fish though. All pan fried is done with A old griswold cast iron skillet. I don't know why but anything you cook in it seems to taste better. Rg, I have some nice walleye fillets thawed in fridge. Gonna try that casserole for supper. The salsa recipe is great with walleye too.  Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.