Author Topic: world's best backstrap recipe  (Read 11759 times)

Offline letsfish

• IceShanty Rookie
world's best backstrap recipe
« on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:44 PM »
does anyone have the recipe for venison backstrap that was on here last year . it had sausage pepperjack cheese .cream cheese all rooled up in backstrap then wrapped in bacon . thanks if anyone remembers this

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: world's best backstrap recipe
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I don't know the recipe but just reading the description I'm having funny pains in my left arm!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:54 AM »
Don't know about that one but I cut mine 1'' thick, wrap them in bacon and marinade then in McCormick's Meat Marinade overnight and cook them on the grille. Don't overcook them.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:59 AM »
I go the chicken fried route. Cut into strips and marinate in chevettas over night, dip in egg and roll in a mix of italian bred crumbs and corn meal and fry in butter or olive oil. Thats my heart attack recipie, I figure the meat is so lean the butter makes up for the lack of fat. ( my arm hurts again!).

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2009, 08:14 AM »
Chop backstrap into medallions, sear in butter coated HOT skillet 1 min per side.  Remove from pan.  Mix olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic together in a bowl.  Brush mix onto seared medallions.  2-3 minutes under the broiler per side yields medium rare (or to desired doneness).  

Best goshdarned cut of meat on a deer, anything that doesn't let a backstrap cut "stand alone" is a sacrilege, IMHO

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Just rub that sucker with olive oil and some Garlic powder and grill it up medium rare. I'll second the sacralige.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009, 11:18 PM »
The best backstrap is the freshest it can be. That means the day its been shot. Throw a good amount of butter in a pan, along with some onions and peppers. Add some garlic to the meat. Cook it medium rare. Best way to get the full flavor of the meat.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:49 AM »
The best backstrap is the freshest it can be.
I have seen guys cut a thin strip of it as we were cutting up a deer and just chew it up and eat it! Sorry, that's a little too rare for me! Probably the worst thing you can do is to cook it on too high heat if frying. My Mrs. (god love her) is prone to that... I'm always BEEATCHIN' that she cooked it too long. One of my personal favorites is to take about a 6-8" long section of backstrap, slice it as thin as you can with a knife, and do it in a Crock pot with some Portabella mushrooms sliced up. When you do this...kind of layer the meat and mushroom slices and pour in a good beef stock like Swanson's until you cover it and then give it about 1 hr. on high then about 4-5 or so hrs. on low. Remove the meat and mushrooms with a strainer spoon(and keep it warm in the oven on a low temp) and make a gravy with the broth that's left adding a little more stock if necessary. Place the sliced meat and mushrooms on a bed of cooked rice or egg noodles or good homemade bread and pour on the gravy. Man....It's HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!!!.....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline disturbed229

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ADDICTED TO ICE.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:49 AM »
dont know if this is what you are looking for but this was posted on archerytalk.com--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here is, by far, the best recipe I have ever found for cooking backstrap.

Ingredients:
Deer backstrap.
Bacon- thin sliced and cheap
toothpics
cream cheese
kokoman terakyi-soy sauce maranade
garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
pepper
pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices
1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces.
Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers
onion- Cut into slivers 1in long
meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the backstap out and cut 3/4 inch filets.

Take a meat tenderizor and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Kokoman maranade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinke some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.

Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.

Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it.
About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool for a couple of mintues (the cream cheese will be very hot)
and enjoy.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Had some good jumpsteak this weekend. Not backstrap, but I made a roast and wrapped it in side pork from one of my hogs. SOOOOO GOOOOD!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline letsfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:28 PM »
thanks that the one i was looking for

Ingredients:
Deer backstrap.
toothpics
cream cheese
pepper
meat tenderizer mallet

Take a meat tenderizor and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Kokoman maranade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

and enjoy.

[/quote]

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:25 AM »
thanks that the one i was looking for

Ingredients:
Deer backstrap.
toothpics
cream cheese
pepper
meat tenderizer mallet

and enjoy.

That seems like nothing more than a waste of good backstrap to me.  In all seriousness, if you cooked the anus with this recipe it would taste the same, so next time we each bag a deer in the same season, why don't you pm me, and I'll give you the anus from my deer and I'll take your backstrap... ;D ;D

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline PIKEHUNTER69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:07 PM »
all you need is a hot skillet  some garlic powder and pepper! and cook it slow :tipup:
NOTHING MAKES ME SMILE, LIKE A WHITETAILS GUT PILE!!!   WHITETAIL DOWN!! I REPEAT WHITETAIL DOWN!!!

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Cut the strap into filets.
Overnight in a plastic bag with cheap italian dressing and some olive oil.
Fish in a float tube all day, or on the ice.
Sear 'em on charcoal for about one minute per side.
Ahhhhhhh.

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:11 PM »
All of the above are great suggestions, and I've tried most of them. My "go to" method is a little Montreal steak seasoning and 1 to 2 minute (per side) sear on a hot grill. Depending on thickness. Just can't beat it.

Up for something different? Try placing 6 to 12 slices, chops, medallions, whatever you want to call them in a baking dish. Cover with 1 or 2 cans of golden mushroom soup (not cream of mushroom) depending on amount. Bake at 350 for 45 min. to an hour. Again, depending on amount, until tender. If done right, you'll need a spatula to remove them and teeth won't be necessary to eat them. I was pleasantly surprised.

But the ultimate way I've done them, is to cure a good portion using Morton's Tender Quick (per their instructions) and smoking it. Similar to making Canadian Bacon. Slice it thin and fry it with eggs and toast for breakfast.  :thumbsup:   

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:26 PM »
all you need is a hot skillet  some garlic powder and pepper! and cook it slow :tipup:
NO !!!  Do not cook it slow. This is a tender piece of meat. Get your skillet hot and sear the meat and cook it "till med-rare :roflmao:  slow cooking is less tender cuts of meat.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Backstrap( the loin), Tender loin (two small fillet Mignon's inside the deers body) Take half the loin,trim all silver skin off, I like to marinate over night,olive oil, cut several cloves of garlic,make small slits in the meat a shove a piece of garlic in,a lot of course ground black pepper,onion power,Adolph's meat tenderizer,over night in gallon zip lock bag(in frig) let stand at room temp 15 min,grill( gas grill) or broil in oven till med rare,let stand for 10 min,and slice. Last Sunday my have had one of the best ever,1/2 loin cut long way down the middle(butterflied) marinate the same way except no garlic, in a fry pan goes a little olive oil 4 or 5 cloves chopped garlic,boil a pack of chopped spinach,drain and squeeze all the water out,add to the oil and garlic,lay the spinach mixture are down one side of the loin,add a big handful of crumbled feta cheese,fold the other half over,wrap several slices of bacon around the loin,broil in oven till med rare. Loins are great anyway,just don't over cook them.

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I cook it just like I cook my steaks. I have about an 8'' strip of loin season it with salt and garlic pepper and sear it in a hot pan,usually cast iron. It is raw on the inside and charred on the outside. I let it rest for awhile to let the juices redistribute while I melt butter in the same pan,that has cooled down, and add garlic and soya sauce. I then cut the cooled meat into the size pieces I like and cook them quickly in the butter and eat. I eat them pretty rare so you only need a minute or less on each side.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:42 AM »
I cook it just like I cook my steaks. I have about an 8'' strip of loin season it with salt and garlic pepper and sear it in a hot pan,usually cast iron. It is raw on the inside and charred on the outside. I let it rest for awhile to let the juices redistribute while I melt butter in the same pan,that has cooled down, and add garlic and soya sauce. I then cut the cooled meat into the size pieces I like and cook them quickly in the butter and eat. I eat them pretty rare so you only need a minute or less on each side.
Listen to this man, he knows to let meat juices redistribute

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I can't for the life of me, figure out why some people smother backstrap with all that GOOP ???
To each his own, I guess ??? The main reason that I invest so much time and money, hunting Bambi is
 to taste Bambi !! I strictly follow Uncle Teds advice, KILL IT AND GRILL IT !! I bet if you cooked the neighbors cat with this GOOP it might be okay :roflmao: Sorry I couldn't resist  ;D

Offline FishinJenn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ME! :)
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Just rub that sucker with olive oil and some Garlic powder and grill it up medium rare. I'll second the sacralige.
I agree, just some hot olive oil and bit of fresh garlic, fry 'em up hot...no more needed.
Kids who hunt, fish and trap...dont mug little old ladies.

<span style='display:block !important; width: 170px; text-align: center; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px;'><a

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I like to cut about 3" sections of the backstrap. I sprinkle it with a small amount of Montreal Steak seasoning after rubbing with olive oil.

Sear all sides in a hot frying pan. Finish in a preheated oven at 500 degrees til medium rare 5 minutes max.

Forget the bacon and all that other junk. This the finest piece of meat you can get anywhere...assuming it's not from a 9 year old buck.

You have to cook deer meat quickly or it will turn to shoe leather. Just think veal!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:05 PM »
I don't know the recipe but just reading the description I'm having funny pains in my left arm!
YEP,  those repicies, will fill your veins with" BLOOD SLUDGE,"  :o
aka FishingPolski

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:16 PM »
YEP,  those repicies, will fill your veins with" BLOOD SLUDGE,"  :o
Really :-\
Why take an incredible, perfectly lean piece of meat and turn it into payments to your cardiologist.

I think I need to get a piece of backstrap out of the freezer. This is making me hungry :woot:

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I agree, at most I cut a back strap in 1/2 just so it fits on the grill. Alittle olive oil, salt/pepper and garlic powder and cook it med-rare on the grill. Let it rest abit. then slice those tender babies up and enjoy ! A side of potatoes and a cold beer and life doesn" get much better.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Now I'm really hungry ::)
Thankfully, I have a piece thawing for dinner ;D

RG

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:57 PM »
Gotta agree the best way to eat back strap is to just worry about the back strap.  Olive oil, garlic salt or a little alpine touch cook to 145-150 degrees or till a little blood comes out.  Enjoy.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Alpine Touch?

What's that?

RG

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:41 PM »
That seems like nothing more than a waste of good backstrap to me.  In all seriousness, if you cooked the anus with this recipe it would taste the same, so next time we each bag a deer in the same season, why don't you pm me, and I'll give you the anus from my deer and I'll take your backstrap... ;D ;D
Roflmao  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:42 AM »

Then I guess my veins are filled with blood sludge from eating too much venison anus. As I stated earlier, My favorite is just some Montreal steak seasoning and sear it on the grill. But, if you could eat pizza every night, would you? I owned a pizza shop, trust me, you will get sick of it.

I've eaten vension all my life. Been hunting and putting it on the table since 16. Nearly 20 years since I've bought any beef. Raised my two boys myself, and had to put dinner together in a hurry. Never had the time for marinating, or smoking. Now that they're grown and gone, I can try new things.

Recently got a road kill. Here's the backstraps being dry cured. Cut them into equal parts. 1 pound each. 1 Tbls Morton's Tenderquick, 1/2 Tbls onion powder and 1/2 Tbls garlic powder each. Vacuumed in the Foodsaver and into the fridge for a week.

Then rinsed and soaked for about 2 hours, changing the water several times. Rolled the fatter pieces in cracked black pepper. Smoked with pecan at 225 until the internal temp hit 145.

Then sliced thick to fry later with my eggs and toast. What does it matter to any of you, how I or anyone else cooks their venison? The only waste I see, is if it isn't eaten. Life's too short, live a little.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.