Author Topic: Deep Creek Access  (Read 925 times)

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Deep Creek Access
« on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:18 AM »
So, I've called the Chamber of Commerce, Deep Creek Outfitters and the State Park. I'm looking for a place to access the lake safely in the south end of the lake.

Has anyone got any info on ice conditions in the Cherry cove area?
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Deep Creek Access
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:17 PM »
access on DCL is a challenge.  Be very careful at Cherry Creek, ive never fished it but have heard it is one of the last to freeze up good, even in good winters.....just what ive heard.  Im not sure of the ice conditions currently, but the State Park offers good access once the ice is safe there.....again, I dont know how safe it is right now.

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Thanks Perchnut! Any suggestions how one CAN get on the ice?
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Yesterday around two oclock there was two inches of good black ice with some white ice on top. I punched my way all the way across the cove with no incident. However the thickest ice I found was in the middle. (about 4 inches) some spots just a hair more than 4.   But walking on the opposite side of the park toward the main lake where there is a steep bank dropping down the ice was dangerously thin.  I was spudding my way when it went from 4 to 1 inch in about fifteen feet. So just be careful. And use a spud bar and a buddy behind you at least 20 ft with a rope if you aren't sure. What I do is check, then walk a little farther to check again with my buddy always staying where I checked last. Works pretty good.   Good luck and stay safe!
Y'all catchin?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.