Author Topic: Eskimo Fatfish 949i  (Read 38550 times)

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Mine falls apart like everyone elses but I called eskimo and they sent me 6 new poles

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:41 PM »
If you are a fatfish owner who has not had problems with the rods coming out of the hubs yet then you are lucky but I would be wary.  Don't get too in love with your unit.  If you keep it past the date when you can return it and then have tons of rod problems... well don't tell me I didn't warn ya!!!

They were all made the exact same way with the exact same materials and design.  The quickfish series has been around a long time now, people have used them for years... and you do not see the hub / rod related issues w/ the quickfish series.  That is because they are built well and are not flawed.  I have fished from mine for 3 years now and many times each year.  Never had a rod problem once.

3rd Trip in my fatfish and I had issues.  A lot of people are having issues with them when they are relatively new.  In my opinion you shouldn't pay 350$+ for a hut only to have it literally fall apart on you shortly after buying it.  Hopefully they will go make a change to either the materials, design, or manufacturing process on their next batch.  I don't see how they could keep selling something so faulty.

The 949i in particular seems to be the worst of them all.  It is heavier due to the insulated material and therefore the rods come out more easily. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:45 PM »
Mine falls apart like everyone elses but I called eskimo and they sent me 6 new poles

I don't think more of the same poles will fix it.  I wonder why they keep doing that.  Unless they have made a change to the poles and are sending you new ones... I would bet you will have problems with it again.

It is a clear lack of product testing.  If they had actually tested the product before selling it they would have immediately noticed that the design is flawed and the rods come out.  Makes you wonder, maybe they did test it and just don't care. 

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:35 AM »
I agree with you.  I talked to Eskimo today on phone and he told me all issues where fixed.  I just wonder if they really have been. He said the hubs have been fixed and the bag issue resolved.  I am suspicious however- been lied to before.  Just wondering of any new buyers are having same issue. 

If you are a fatfish owner who has not had problems with the rods coming out of the hubs yet then you are lucky but I would be wary.  Don't get too in love with your unit.  If you keep it past the date when you can return it and then have tons of rod problems... well don't tell me I didn't warn ya!!!

They were all made the exact same way with the exact same materials and design.  The quickfish series has been around a long time now, people have used them for years... and you do not see the hub / rod related issues w/ the quickfish series.  That is because they are built well and are not flawed.  I have fished from mine for 3 years now and many times each year.  Never had a rod problem once.

3rd Trip in my fatfish and I had issues.  A lot of people are having issues with them when they are relatively new.  In my opinion you shouldn't pay 350$+ for a hut only to have it literally fall apart on you shortly after buying it.  Hopefully they will go make a change to either the materials, design, or manufacturing process on their next batch.  I don't see how they could keep selling something so faulty.

The 949i in particular seems to be the worst of them all.  It is heavier due to the insulated material and therefore the rods come out more easily.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:24 AM »
If the rods were busting, or if the shelter had quality issues, then it would be unacceptable and of poor quality. I would hardly call a pin sliding in a rod, a big issue. Realign the pin, hit it with a little gorilla glue, and put it back in the hub. The Fatfish 949 is a great shelter.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:22 AM »
I dont have the "I" model and I don't think it is great. If the new poles didn't fix I had sone ideas that would keep the pins in place just hoping it wont bind up in the hub after words....

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:07 PM »
If the rods were busting, or if the shelter had quality issues, then it would be unacceptable and of poor quality. I would hardly call a pin sliding in a rod, a big issue. Realign the pin, hit it with a little gorilla glue, and put it back in the hub. The Fatfish 949 is a great shelter.

I guess we are all the judge of what we think is unacceptable or poor quality.  I don't call something I pay 300+$ for only to have it fall apart a "great shelter".  I fish in a state where high winds are very common.  Say what you will about it not being a "big issue".  But for me, if I'm fishing in 50-60MP gusts... and my hut pops a rod out of the hub while I'm fishing... it could do considerable damage to my rods and other gear inside the tent when the hub gets thrown inward.  Not to mention it could quickly turn into a major disaster if one rod popped out of the hub, only to be followed by 2-3 more rods doing it as well. 

I personally don't want my hut falling apart on me while I'm fishing, especially in high winds.  You say its not a big deal, having to realign the pin and pop it back in... It is when the wind is beating down on your hut, trust me... my fatfish lost a rod from the hub and I could not get it back in because of the relentless wind. 

To each their own.  If you buy a fatfish series and you enjoy it and don't mind having to fix all the rod/hub connections... great.  I personally was not pleased w/ the quality.  My quickfish hut is a cheaper unit and like I said, I've never had any issues with it. 

Let me ask you this ASATMillerbluegill.  If you were in charge at Eskimo... would you be happy with selling a product that fell apart after 2-3 uses?  I can tell you if I were in charge over there, this would not have happened.  You don't sell stuff that has not been designed right or product tested.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:57 PM »
My experience with ground blinds, which are the same as ice fishing blinds, is that a rod will never pop out, while the shelter is in use. It will pop out when the shelter is closed, as the tension is released from the rod. Like I stated, gorilla glue the pin if it ever falls out, and it can't happen again. My Fatfish rods held together in the 50 mph winds and the shelter materials held up. I have a FF 949 and a QF6. My buddy has a QF3. My favorite shelter out of them all is my FF 949. I'd buy another one and highly recommend them. My local store hasn't had any issues with them either.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Fair enough. 

I agree I don't think it is likely a rod will come out when it is up.  However.  If one falls out while in transport /storage  (like they are prone to do) and you set it up you likely won't know you have an issue until you try to "pop" the shelter up.  So you can either try to fix it with the hut up or take the time to remove all the spikes, and fix it folded up.  (Can be tough to do alone.. in strong wind).   It is not an ideal situation.  Having to fix each individual rod that comes out w/ gorilla glue.  Although it might be a legitimate fix.

Guess you could be proactive and pop them all out and gorilla glue them.  I personally think Eskimo should be doing something like that though, not the customers. 

While I was impressed with most of the other features of the fatfish, including the very nice quality of the insulated material.  It is very roomy.  I just don't like buying things I have to fix immediately.  That is rewarding Eskimo for producing a flawed product.  I don't do that.

One more small note:  I found the fatfish949i to be not as sturdy and stable in the wind as a smaller more compact quickfish3.  You give up some rigidity when you have such a large pop up shelter.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Fair enough. 

I agree I don't think it is likely a rod will come out when it is up.  However.  If one falls out while in transport /storage  (like they are prone to do) and you set it up you likely won't know you have an issue until you try to "pop" the shelter up.  So you can either try to fix it with the hut up or take the time to remove all the spikes, and fix it folded up.  (Can be tough to do alone.. in strong wind).   It is not an ideal situation.  Having to fix each individual rod that comes out w/ gorilla glue.  Although it might be a legitimate fix.

Guess you could be proactive and pop them all out and gorilla glue them.  I personally think Eskimo should be doing something like that though, not the customers. 

While I was impressed with most of the other features of the fatfish, including the very nice quality of the insulated material.  It is very roomy.  I just don't like buying things I have to fix immediately.  That is rewarding Eskimo for producing a flawed product.  I don't do that.

One more small note:  I found the fatfish949i to be not as sturdy and stable in the wind as a smaller more compact quickfish3.  You give up some rigidity when you have such a large pop up shelter.
agreed:-)

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Just returned my 2nd fatfish 949. First one was replaced on warranty, and second one I got a refund straight up.  Both had poles popping up.  First one didn't have the velcro sewn properly. The stitching was way off course, and the velcro didn't line up.  Looking at a Clam summit.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:54 AM »
thats too bad, I think I am going for a quickfish 6, dont need any issues. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Can't wait until all the returns and refunds hit Eskimo's pocket hard enough to fix their product.

A simple recall or a switch in the production methods could fix this problem completely.  I'm guessing they will have a fix for these issues in future fatfish units... I hope they would.  If I don't hear any better reviews on them, like you, I'll be getting another quickfish series.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Agree.  They need to hear from us too.  It's really too bad because its a great hut and great idea. This site is so huge and has such impact, they should be listening! I got two buds who are not buying as not am I. 

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:20 AM »
Yep I agree, that is one reason I'm being so vocal about being unsatisfied with their product on here.  I'm sure someone who works for eskimo checks this thread. ;)

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Has any one called or E mailed Eskimo Most companies are customer service oriented?. The reason I comment my quick fish three is at least five years old and will one day need to be replaced so I hope you guys get all the bugs worked out.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:26 PM »
This makes me glad I have a Quickfish 4.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:27 PM »
Has any one called or E mailed Eskimo Most companies are customer service oriented?. The reason I comment my quick fish three is at least five years old and will one day need to be replaced so I hope you guys get all the bugs worked out.

The quickfish was built well.  Solid design.

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Yes.  They simply said they can't fix it so send it back for a replacement or refund.  I replied that I was happy with that simple response and disregard for my satisfaction and never heard from them again.  I go my money back and am waiting for an outstanding set of reviews before I purchase any hub style from any company.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2012, 03:47 PM »
The quickfish series by eskimo is fine.  Unless they have changed materials or design in the last couple of years.  They are great.  Cheap too.

Sturdy, durable and easy to set up.

I'd love to have my quickfish 3 covered in the 949i insulated material!!! 

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2012, 04:10 PM »
The quickfish series by eskimo is fine.  Unless they have changed materials or design in the last couple of years.  They are great.  Cheap too.

Sturdy, durable and easy to set up.

I'd love to have my quickfish 3 covered in the 949i insulated material!!!

Thanks.  I actually bought the 9416 Fatfish and had all the same issues as the 949i...that's why I am posting and following this thread..

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Sigh.  Well then you have read this thread and you realize you really only have 2 options.  Hopefully the majority of people will see this and not purchase the headache fatfish series.

1) take it back and make eskimo "pay" for selling this faulty unit and go with a different hub style shelter.  (non-eskimo if this experience turned you away from them)  Although I do strongly still recommend the quickfish series. 

2) try to fix each rod / hub connection individually with gorilla glue, etc... (Might not work - might ruin your hub)

I don't think fishing with the unit in its current state is an option, for reasons stated previously in this thread.  I chose to take mine back because I am limited in time and didn't feel like buying the supplies and taking the time to fix each rod individually.  My opinion which again has been stated repeatedly is that I should not have to fix new products.  Old ones, sure.  Not new ones.  Especially 375$ new ones.

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:26 PM »
While I am definitely not disputing what others experiences have been with the fatfish line mine has been fine. Mine seems to be a good one so far. I have set mine up probably about 12 times so far and no signs of any hub or pole failure. I do have one side that seems to want to pop back in on it's own before I stake it out it's definitely not a deal breaker. My coating is not flaking inside but I do see lines of separation along fold lines from storage. I hope it doesn't get any worse but I will keep an eye on it. I do hope the trend continues for me on this one and I'm hoping Eskimo gets the issues sorted out. I guess if this one goes south I'll buy a quickfish 6 since I have my Scout TC for times when I'm alone. I'm too used to having the extra space now to go smaller.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:37 PM »
While I am definitely not disputing what others experiences have been with the fatfish line mine has been fine. Mine seems to be a good one so far. I have set mine up probably about 12 times so far and no signs of any hub or pole failure. I do have one side that seems to want to pop back in on it's own before I stake it out it's definitely not a deal breaker. My coating is not flaking inside but I do see lines of separation along fold lines from storage. I hope it doesn't get any worse but I will keep an eye on it. I do hope the trend continues for me on this one and I'm hoping Eskimo gets the issues sorted out. I guess if this one goes south I'll buy a quickfish 6 since I have my Scout TC for times when I'm alone. I'm too used to having the extra space now to go smaller.
We have the same taste in shelters. Very satisfied with all three of mine.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:23 PM »

I emailed ESKIMO today to the direct link to this page.  Hope they go and see it. lol.  if they had brains they would post something to reasure the community that the isseu is being dealt with.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I had one pole pop give me fits with a pin sliding and coming out of the hub. This is how I feel, I like the hut so much that I have gone through the trouble(which isn't that hard) and taken off each hub cap and checked them. Which when it's still rolled up all the hubs are right next to each other and with a 6 inch cresant wrench you can have all five caps off in about thirty seconds and can look at each pin. Ok ya we spend a lot of money on these shelters (sorry gemcity not sure where your getting the $300 prices for these shelters but I only paid $215 for the 949) and we shouldn't have to do this. Maybe that's our mistake, I have always been told to never buy a product it's first year out to give it a year or two. Anyway all my other pins looked fine none of the others had moved, but I still put glue on all of them so I shouldn't have any problems again. All in all it took me about 5 minutes to check them and put glue on them and I already had the glue so no more money was spent just a little time.

I guess all I am saying is Eskimo made a small mistake and missed something. I don't think it's worth all the bashing on them because of one thing. Ya it sucks but dang. They are trying to make a better product to make fishing more enjoyable and they made a mistake, there human give them a break or not and get pissed about it. I didn't I just took a little time and probably fixed the problem on a product I love and am glad I bought it cause sure has made my ice season more enjoyable since i got it.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:51 PM »
I had one pole pop give me fits with a pin sliding and coming out of the hub. This is how I feel, I like the hut so much that I have gone through the trouble(which isn't that hard) and taken off each hub cap and checked them. Which when it's still rolled up all the hubs are right next to each other and with a 6 inch cresant wrench you can have all five caps off in about thirty seconds and can look at each pin. Ok ya we spend a lot of money on these shelters (sorry gemcity not sure where your getting the $300 prices for these shelters but I only paid $215 for the 949) and we shouldn't have to do this. Maybe that's our mistake, I have always been told to never buy a product it's first year out to give it a year or two. Anyway all my other pins looked fine none of the others had moved, but I still put glue on all of them so I shouldn't have any problems again. All in all it took me about 5 minutes to check them and put glue on them and I already had the glue so no more money was spent just a little time.

I guess all I am saying is Eskimo made a small mistake and missed something. I don't think it's worth all the bashing on them because of one thing. Ya it sucks but dang. They are trying to make a better product to make fishing more enjoyable and they made a mistake, there human give them a break or not and get pissed about it. I didn't I just took a little time and probably fixed the problem on a product I love and am glad I bought it cause sure has made my ice season more enjoyable since i got it.

The 949i is 375$ or thereabout.  The regular 949 is cheaper. 

A couple of things here:  Yes, Eskimo did make a mistake and yes they did miss something.  If you read my earlier posts I have had very high praise for the company's quickfish series.  I highly recommend that product - when mine finally has had enough I'm going to buy another.  The fatfish series is a different story though.    It's not like I'm just bashing Eskimo unfairly.

We may differ on what we want to do with our fatfish and the problems they all seem to have.  If you don't mind fixing the unit and enjoy it... that's great.  I posted my feelings toward the 949 fatfish because I was not happy with the quality and I think my opinion will be shared by some.  Read this thread and make up your own mind.

But I think we could agree wyo700 that when you buy something new it should not fall apart on you after literally a couple uses.  It should not be faulty.  You can't tell me you think otherwise?  Like I asked earlier... if you were in charge at Eskimo would you be proud of selling a product that falls apart?.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:07 AM »
I emailed ESKIMO today to the direct link to this page.  Hope they go and see it. lol.  if they had brains they would post something to reasure the community that the isseu is being dealt with.

I'd love to see the issue resolved.   

As I've said previously, rod and hub issues aside.  I was very impressed with the 949i insulated material.  Would love to see it offered on the quickfish series or smaller hub shelters.  The biggest reason I took mine back was that I felt it was not as sturdy and stable in high winds as my smaller quickfish series.  I think it is safe to say that anyone who has a quickfish3 can say that it is solid.  My 949i was unstable, not as sturdy and the heavy insulated material seemed to sag on the unit.  (compared to my quickfish3). 

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:47 AM »
We have the same taste in shelters. Very satisfied with all three of mine.

(Image removed from quote.)

We do have the same taste in shanties but I mis-typed my clam model I have a Pro TC instead of the scout. We do also share the best last name ever. @)

Offline Fishbot 5000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:17 PM »
My Fatfish 9416 is holding out great even on very windy days. I just make sure to tie down the sides the wind is coming from. We have used it about 10 times now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.