Author Topic: 13 Fishing Free Fall Ghost??  (Read 15901 times)

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
13 Fishing Free Fall Ghost??
« on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:16 AM »
I see they 13 Fishing is coming out with a new version of the free fall.  Has anyone played with one of these or know about them?  I was wondering how much they weighed?  Thanks.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 13 Fishing Free Fall Ghost??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Says here it weighs in at 1lb. Sounds like it'll be alot more "hardwater friendly" with the composite frame.
https://www.clearh2otackle.com/product/freefall-ghost-inline-ice-reel

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Give the guys at sportsmans direct a call they'll give you the exact weight http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/icefishingreels/13-fishing-free-fall-ghost/

Catchin' Fish

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 09:31 PM »
when is it coming out?

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Won't solve the freeze up issue on the spool and casing though.  I wish they would find some way to alleviate freeze up on the spool, it completely destroys the "FreeFall" concept.  I would rather have a fix to that than weight although I don't know how they would fix that without completely re-designing the FreeFall.

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Good concept,  I don't have one but imagine they work well in a shack?  They are coming out in October if I remember correctly?

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2017, 05:02 PM »
I'm thinking it should weigh in at sub 6 oz?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2017, 07:22 PM »
I'm thinking it should weigh in at sub 6 oz?
Listed at 1 lb

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Why is there no information on 13 fishing website about the new freefall ghost? I just ordered a Tuned Up Custom 32" Bullwhip with a cork split grip. Has anyone paired up a Freefall on a TUCR with a split grip? looking for any feedback from those of  you that have a freefall.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Why is there no information on 13 fishing website about the new freefall ghost? I just ordered a Tuned Up Custom 32" Bullwhip with a cork split grip. Has anyone paired up a Freefall on a TUCR with a split grip? looking for any feedback from those of  you that have a freefall.

Yep, I have a free fall on my Bullwhip and my Precision Noodle, both split grips.  I'm probably going to buy 3-4 more of them this year.  The only thing I don't like about them is that the drag makes almost no noise when a fish is taking line so it will kind of worry you a little bit when you have something bigger on.  I'm not saying the drag doesn't work good enough to handle bigger fish because it does, it's just weird to not hear anything.  I usually fish out of a flip over shack so icing up isn't an issue for me.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline RAnondson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2017, 04:31 PM »
I just ordered 2.cant wait till they show up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2017, 06:03 PM »
What's the difference between the FreeFall Ghost and the Black Betty FreeFall, they look identical except for the colors.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2017, 08:07 AM »
Something to do with the material I believe. I think the ghost is supposed to be a little lighter. According to the descriptions they are both made from composite frames though.
Da Pack!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:06 AM »
Thanks Pal.  The thing that jumped out at me was the price difference, the Ghost is $70 where the Black Betty is $110 yet they look the same other than the paint job.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:54 AM »
13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Inline Ice Reels feature a CNC machined 6061 aluminum construction for toughness and durability. The incredible frame design allows anglers to fish a "pistol" or "pencil" grip style without rubbing the rim of the spool. This multiplier fly style reel eliminates line twist so that you can delicately and naturally present small or light baits. With an internal gear cover, smooth carbon drag, anti-reverse, and much more, Black Betty 6061 Ice Reels give ice anglers the most bang for their buck. These are the ultimate inline ice reels!

•6061 bar stock CNC machined aluminum
•Integrated fender design
•Lightweight EVA handle knobs
•Carbon drag
•Instant anti-reverse
•Bait alarm

The FreeFall Ghost is the latest Inline reel from the company that has perfected inline fishing. The revolutionary FreeFall trigger allows hard water anglers to hit specific depths, and get instant hookups by releasing the trigger in the target zone. Expect easy one handed operation, smooth drag, and the perfect all around gear ratio for shallow to mid-depth (5-50') Ice Fishing. No line twist, drop speed control, and tangle free spool cap create a user friendly design that simplifies line management and makes your time on the ice more enjoyable.

•Composite Graphite Frame
•Aluminum Handle
•Integrated Fender
•FreeFall Trigger System
•Soft Touch Knobs
•Drop Speed Control
•Instant Hookup System
•Graphite Star Drag
•Tangle Free Spool Cap
•2.5:1 Gear Ratio
•4 Stainless Ball Bearings
•Instant Anti-Reverse

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2017, 09:20 AM »
See that 13 Fishing has this reel up for sale on their website.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Scheels has them in stock now too. I messed around with it a bit yesterday. Definitely has a different feel than the original freefall. I'll be getting one to give it a try at least this season. I'm not completely sold on the plastic though...
Da Pack!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2017, 03:59 PM »
If you do get one would you please post your impressions of it. I was looking at it because of the price, but would rather spend more cash to get something that has gotten good reviews.  I am happy with my 6061's just like the idea of the trigger release.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Thanks Hardwater Diehard for the info.  I like the trigger line release but wonder really how much faster it'd be compared to the CGI reels.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:32 PM »
If you do get one would you please post your impressions of it.

The difference is the material it is made with, Aluminum for the original and composite (plastic) for the Ghost. 

I too, am wanting to know what the initial opinion is of those that have one.  Most importantly, will the composite hold up?
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2017, 09:21 AM »
The difference is the material it is made with, Aluminum for the original and composite (plastic) for the Ghost. 

I too, am wanting to know what the initial opinion is of those that have one.  Most importantly, will the composite hold up?

I'm pretty sure both frames are made of the same composite, the original freefall has an aluminum spool and handle. My one complaint about the original freefall was my line getting caught in the small gap between the spool and frame a couple times last year. The ghost seems to have a smaller gap so hopefully this will fix the issue. I'll make sure to post my thoughts when I get it, hopefully I'll have a review in action in another month and a half  :)
Da Pack!

Offline pitthull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's all fun & games until someone loses a walleye
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:52 AM »
My buddy and I fished these last year on our week-long trip to Lake of the Woods -- fished them from shacks so no icing problems at all.  I don't know how to say it other than to just sum up the experience as a game changer.  The write ups make it sound like you're going to drop your presentation and charlie tuna is going to be sitting there waiting to take the ride topside -- and it's not really like that at all (though I suppose it could be in a fantasy world) -- but it is awfully nice to control the stop point by watching your electronics -- and immediately be watching for sniffers.  The point was made about the silence when a fish is running drag -- I agree totally -- that takes some getting used to (and I'm not sure I'm used to it yet).  I use a ton of 13 Fishing's stuff -- have numerous combos from their White Out line -- and I put our freefalls on Widow Maker rods -- I have two ghost reels on order (for my buddy and me) and another standard freefall for myself as well.  Can't wait for our trip this year!
I'll keep ice fishing until hell freezes over -- and I'll drop a line in there too!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2017, 06:50 AM »
http://www.dicksmithslivebait.com/store/products/new-for-201718-13-fishing-free-fall-ghost-inline-ice-reel-pre-order/

not familiar with the company

These folks are a 2nd generation family owned bait/tackle shop local to me. Great folks!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2017, 07:21 PM »
They are now available, just ordered one from ebay for $69.99 and free shipping. They are supposed to be lighter than original freefall. 13fishing web site doesnt specify the weight, but on cabelas it says 4.5 oz. I will weigh it when i get it and let you guys know.

Offline mr. maloonigins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:24 PM »
I tried to get into the in-line reel game last year.  I had a couple of the cheaper Eagle Claw models.  I didn't really care for them.  Would this 13 Fishing Ghost model make me a believer?

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2017, 02:49 PM »
I am a spinning reel kinda guy here myself. I do like the free fall and stop idea for my electronics when targeting crappie and perch. Will this ghost fit the bill for a first in line ice reel?
Just add water.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2017, 02:51 PM »
It comes down partially to your personal preference and also to the quality of the reel. I started out with the frabill 241 and hated it. Upgraded to the frabill 371 and loved it. I have a hard time going back to anything but inline reels now. I upgraded to the freefall last year and I definitely like it better than the 371 but both are great reels.
So, I think it could make you a believer if you like inline reels. More likely than the eagle claws at least. On the other hand, if you just aren't an inline guy then it wouldn't matter what kind of inline reel you try...
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.