Author Topic: Lightweight bunks  (Read 5818 times)

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
Lightweight bunks
« on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Has anyone used bunks like these in their shack? I thought it might be nice to be able to add them to a skid house for overnight trips, but be able to remove them easily if I need more space for people to fish. I'm planning to build a lightweight shack and don't think my walls will be strong enough to support the weight of bunks hanging off of them.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lightweight bunks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:30 AM »
No but I use a cot inside mine. Works great and folds down and away.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Has anyone built something like this for their shack as a solution for bunks?
I saved these pics from somewhere online last year, but can't remember where I found them

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:09 PM »
Has anyone built something like this for their shack as a solution for bunks?
I saved these pics from somewhere online last year, but can't remember where I found them

;DWow look at them. I designed & built them. They were posted on the Facebook page Fishhouse Fabrications

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:16 PM »
;DWow look at them. I designed & built them. They were posted on the Facebook page Fishhouse Fabrications

Awesome!
I'm wondering how they worked out for you?
Did you have any issues with sag in the middle? Or what did you use along the sides?
My cot tops just arrived last night and I'll be constructing something similar for my shack soon. I was looking at either a hardwood closet rod or aluminum tubing.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Awesome!
I'm wondering how they worked out for you?
Did you have any issues with sag in the middle? Or what did you use along the sides?
My cot tops just arrived last night and I'll be constructing something similar for my shack soon. I was looking at either a hardwood closet rod or aluminum tubing.

They work great, actually turned out better than I was expecting.

Yes the middle will sag that's the nature of these bunk styles, the pipe will flex down and to the middle with weight. But they are very comfortable IMO I like to add a camping mat to them.
Not sure a hardwood rod is going to be up for the task. I used 1/8 wall 2" aluminum.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:43 PM »
I would say that most cloth type bunks have middle sag depending on the weight applied.  I found adding a thin sheet of flooring underlay solves the problem.  It's thinner than 1/4 inch so you should still be able to fold them up.

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Got the first bunk set up last night. More comfortable than I thought it would be and roomy at 32" wide. Planning to cut another notch in the middle for a 16" depth bench mode.

- I found the cot tops online for 15 bucks.
- Menards has 8ft sections of 1 5/8" galvanized fence post that I used for the cross bars
- 2x4 framing bolted to the walls of the shack

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:36 PM »
What can I say, I like to be comfortable.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:29 PM »
I built these bunks in both of my hard sides.
I notched out 2 X 6 's and screwed them to the studs. I use 1 3/4 " fence posts for my rails and inexpensive cots (torn down).
They work awesome. They fold up out of the way durning the day. Or can leave them down and use the Cabelas cot chairs for fishing.
I use a sleeping pad and sleep really well...

My sleeping bag and pillow are in the cot while it's put up.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice

RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Nice, that looks similar to what I ended up with. Haven't spent the night yet in mine, but being able to fold it up almost completely out of the way without losing any floor space is certainly a plus.
Those cot chairs look interesting. I might have to pick one up... I see they're only 25 bucks.

Here's where I found the cot pieces for relatively cheap ($15)
http://geargarage.tetonsports.com/universal-cot-top-fabric-bed/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.