Author Topic: If You Get Gas On Your Hands?  (Read 8069 times)

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
If You Get Gas On Your Hands?
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:32 AM »
The other night I was walleye fishing. It was warm out and I didn't need to wear gloves, after drilling a couple more holes to move around, I screwed down the vent on my auger, I immediatly got that sinking feeling in my gut. I tenativly sniffed my fingers and sure enough my fingers reeked of gas. Anyone know how to get that stench off your hands? I usually wear gloves when handling my auger, but there's always the times I forget, or the gloves are wet and I can't bring myself to wear them.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

grumpymoe

Re:If You Get Gas On Your Hands?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:31 AM »
the only thing that comes to mind is good old tomato juice-dont use too much on the ice-someone might think you're bleeding to death ;D

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:02 PM »
Get some oderless laundry soap like that advertised for washing hunting clothes and carry a small bottle of it with you.  I carry it ice fishing and I always have some in my boat.  
They also sell waterless hand soap, but I haven't found in unscented yet.  My wife just told me she has seen it in stores, so I'll be picking some up.    

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:04 PM »
Get some DrJuice hand cleaner. I use it on my spoons for salmon and to clean my hands before and while fishing.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2003, 12:24 PM »
Get some DrJuice hand cleaner. I use it on my spoons for salmon and to clean my hands before and while fishing.

I'm with Esox on this one.  I am running low on the stuff, and have to pick up another bottle the next time I see it.  But don't blame me when you rinse your hand in the ice hole, and you can't feel your fingers.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

acsacmboy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2003, 02:05 PM »
same thing happened to me. i just rinsed them in the water. i have seen a guy take out a lighter and crouch down by an ice hole. set his hand on fire :o :o ??? ??? and doused it out... i was amazed that someone would acctully do that

NAD42

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:02 PM »

I'm with Esox on this one.  I am running low on the stuff, and have to pick up another bottle the next time I see it.  But don't blame me when you rinse your hand in the ice hole, and you can't feel your fingers.

Fishrmn
you and Esox hit the nail right on the head.

fishinnutinwis

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2004, 08:28 AM »
what about coleman fuel,,happened to me the other night---should of just gone home right then and there...

Ice Gido

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:45 PM »
I think that WD40 would work well - it cuts grease and oil, and fish like it.  Some fishers put it on the fishing end of their gear and swear by it.

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:20 PM »
This is what I use.  Organic and biodegradable.

http://www.worxbest.com/us/products/worx.html

Lit his hands of fire eh.  I guess the sent of charred flesh and burnt hair would smell better than gasoline.

acsacmboy

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 04:45 PM »
dont ask me. i wouldnt and yet im still bewildered that someone would do that. maybe it does.

Offline ice725

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2004, 12:37 PM »
the best thing to use is lemon juicemixed with a little soap.  then use some orange clean and your hands should be perfect. :'(

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:59 PM »
I also use WD-40 followed up with a touch of Smelly jelly.  Ice Gido is right on the money!  WD-40 will not only remove the gas from your hands, but attracts fish as well.  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:44 PM »
I would rather have the gas on my hands than have smelly jelly on them... ewwwwwwwww
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2004, 02:22 PM »
ICEFISHINGBEAR, are you really a 110 lb. 14 year old girl from Southern California? For Surrrre! ;D ;D  I also brush my teeth with smelly jelly!  It keeps people away from my fishing hole when they get a whiff of my dragon breath. :)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2004, 08:35 PM »
i got gas on my hands friday and i rubbed em in snow then washed em in a hole then dried em off on my pants and didnt smell like gas anymore
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2004, 03:16 AM »
I keep a pair of work gloves in the auger case for anytime I handle the jiffy. When I'm done, I put the wool mittens back on. :'(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:49 PM »
WD-40 does work as a fish attractant. The base for the lube is derived from ocean fish (or so I've heard). Same thing as vasoline. WD-40 should help remove the foulness too. Watch out though, in many areas the Warden can bag you for using WD-40 as an attractant for pollution reasons.

maine-ly backward

Re: If You Get Gas On Your Hands?
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:00 AM »
Get ya an old towel, cut it up into, oh, about 12" squares. Take one of those squares and moisten it with rubbing alcohol. then put it in a ziplock baggie. The baggie keeps the towel moist. The alcohol cleans your hands and then evaporates quickly. When it gets dirty throw it away.

Hermey

« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2004, 01:25 PM »
I'm not sure if this is true, but years ago I remember reading an article regarding fishermen getting gas/oil smells on them while fishing from a boat.  The article indicated that fish can not smell/taste gas or oil.  Something about how their senses evolved does not allow them to detect these unnatural stimuli.

Anybody else ever hear anything about this?

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Guess im crazy id use the quick match technique.quick and warm.usually only your fingers that get gas on them anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.