Author Topic: OVERCAST ICE FISHING  (Read 10232 times)

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

OVERCAST ICE FISHING
« on: Feb 03, 2003, 06:25 PM »
hey everyone, i just want to nkow everyone's opinion on something, i have found that the fishing is best when the weather is overcast and cloudy.  when the sun is shinning, the fish do not seem to turn on and hit as much.  anyone feel the same???

wick

Re: OVERCAST ICE FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2003, 04:10 PM »
Well, Ive had luck with both sunny days and overcast days. But id have to say that ive cought more when their was a overcast sky or when it was just getting dark.

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2003, 06:14 PM »
yea, i will agree with ya on that, i just wanted to see what other ice fisherman think when it comes to the weather situation.

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2003, 08:06 PM »
I definitely prefer overcast days, but sometimes it doesn't seem to matter much, when the snow gets deep on the ice. :-/

RSQCAL

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2003, 01:37 AM »
I tend to have better panfishing when its overcast. I find Northern fishing better on bright days. On overcast day it seems that if the sun breaks through for a bit your almost always going to have a flag. Anyone else find this to happen?  ;D :'( :'(

dogman

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2003, 06:46 PM »
Overcast days seem to help the smelt fishing out.Also the trout fishing seems to be a little better.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2003, 08:19 PM »
My best days are usually sunny in the mid 30's after a long stretch of crummy weather.  When the sun comes out and the ice starts poppin' the flags start going off.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:25 AM »
Rain, sleet, snow or shine I will be on the ice as long as it stays. Overcast days are usually a change in the weather and barometric pressure and you guys know what they say about the changing conditions and fishing. The fish "usually" get turned on by this.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:25 AM »
i agree with crappie attitude on this one but i think its because the ice poping covers the noise of the people moveing on top of the ice. as for the weather part i always have my best luck the day before a storm comes through.

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2003, 05:55 PM »
i went fishing on both saterday and sunday of this past weekend.  saterday was sunny and i didnt produce any fish.  sunday mourning was overcast/cloudy and the bite followed the weather, once again.  panfish were feeding aggressively, mabye because of the large snow storm we got in Pa sunday night.  overcast day seemed to be the better of the two!

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2003, 07:46 AM »
Dont forget when the sun is out and you po a hole open usuallu sooks the fish. When its overcast the hole tends to stay dark. When open water fishig the sun tends to let the fish get a better look at the bait or lure, this allows the fish to be more wary about the lure. I do alot of trolling with chritmas trees ad overcast days with a slight chop are the best days.  

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2003, 05:54 AM »
I gotten better fishing when its overcast but it depends on the lake itself. Sometimes also because the water itself is sometimes very useful also.

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2003, 05:41 PM »
i knew a few people would agree with me on this topic.  overcast ice fishing seems to be the way to go.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2003, 02:58 AM »
Fish tend to be more agressive when its overcast because they are more comfortable, dont get a great look at the bait they are hitting and changes in the pressure. The comfort stage is that they tend to be less shy and come out of cover more plus they dont see this bright lite shining down a hole as much. The looks that they get to the bait are less because the light isnt showing them a good look. This does allow them to see that the lure or bait are unnatural. And we all now about the different barometric pressure and how fish hit when the pressure is moving especially down.

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:58 PM »
all that is true, i must agree with you on that.  with this slush and water on the ice, and that fact that it is so thick, i don't think it will matter if the sun is shinning or not out at all.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2003, 08:21 PM »
i have found that everything but deepwater perch like darker times.

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2003, 05:52 AM »
I usually have best luck in overcast situations too, until yesterday.  We had a nice snow storm coming, so I figured it would be a great time to go fishing.  Drilled and drilled and drilled weather was 25 degrees and light snow falling.  Seemed like perfect hard water weather, but nope... no flags (not even a wind flag to get me somewhat excited) and only 3 hits all day= NO FISH!!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2003, 06:47 AM »
I seem to do better on overcast day's .More so when there is no snow on the ice...

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Overcast Ice Fishing
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Overcast days seem to be better, at least for lakers.

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:44 PM »
About a month ago on lake como NY every time the sun would shine the pickerel would hit the tip ups.
When the clouds came back the perch would start up.
If you think about predator-prey, it makes sense

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:39 AM »
I agree. I always do much better on cloudy or overcast days with a little wind. The only thing that I seem to catch on sunny calm days is a good nap. Not saying that I dont get any  :'( , but sunny days have always been slower until late evening.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:10 AM »
i've found the best is twelve hours before the storm orr low pressure system.they feel it coming or something

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2004, 11:58 PM »
I have observed that cloudy or overcast ice fishing days will have an extended bite, where sunny days are often limited to the two times around sunrise and sunset. I know really bright days on open water fishing can make the fish tite-lipped. I wonder if fish carry over this habit during the hard water season, or if that much light really does penetrate the ice?

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.