Author Topic: Taxidermist?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Taxidermist?
« on: Sep 24, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Posted on MFF and IS.

Is there any fish Taxidermists, (Pro or Amateur), here at MMF?  I have a question that maybe you can answer? 
I had decided to start mounting my own fish to save $$ and have some fun!  I did some fish work before, but rather than go into detail as to my previous replica "Franken-fishes", I will leave it as THIS TIME I'm gonna do it correctly!
Question is:  I have a pike that has two gashes down both sides of the fish.  scales 2 deep and 5-9 rows high are missing.  My option that comes to mind is to replace the scales with epoxy compound and reshape using the appropriate tools?  Am I correct?

Thanks!  Barleydog 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Taxidermist?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I just came across this response...hope it's not too late.  Here is what I would do.  I would get yourself some latex rubber (The name mold maker comes to mind, and they have it at many craft stores) anyways, brush the latex on some nice looking scales once the fish is skinned and has finished drying on a mannikin.  Brush several coats on until it's nice and thick.  Do it on both sides of the fish.  The latex can then be peeled off to reveal a mold (negative) of the scales.  Very detailed.  Then take some 2 part molding epoxy like sculp-all or magic sculpt and smooth over the damaged scales.  Once the epoxy starts to get hard and set up, use the latex mold to push in on the epoxy and put the scale detail back into the fish.  Hope this helps
-Icegeek

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2005, 07:53 AM »
Just remembered...it's called mold builder liquid latex rubber...about 10 bucks for a quart

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Those gashes wouldn't be from a dog caring it around would it? :D :D :D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:46 AM »
Thanks Geek!  No it's not to late.  The fish in question is still on my wall "curing" for 6 months! ;D  Thanks for the tip...
Crappie Guy,  He didn't mean it!  Honestly!  He's a creature of habit....Stupid dog >:( ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.