Author Topic: Echomap plus?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Echomap plus?
« on: Oct 31, 2019, 10:02 AM »
I have been using the Echomap Chirp 73CV with PS22 transducer for about 18 months. It is without question the best unit I have ever used, but the one thing that I really miss (on the ice especially) is the ability to zoom. I’ve been patiently waiting for a software update to include that functionality, but I now think it may be a lost cause.

I would like to get another year out of the transducer before moving up to Livescope, but I’m considering getting an Echomap Plus unit for the ability to zoom (also gets me one step closer to livescope). I’m pretty much stuck with a 7” unit due to size constrains on the kayak and portability issues on the ice, and have seen Plus units available for under $500.

So, I have some questions about the unit. How does the touch-screen function in cold temps with fish slimed hands? Is there a significant increase in power consumption with the plus unit vs the chirp? Is there any difference in performance between the SV and CV units?

And finally, do the Plus units have a fully functional zoom?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Echomap plus?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I think you need the plus models to run the livescope transducer and black box anyway. I got the ps22 ice package a year ago, and I’d have to basically get the whole new package to get livescope.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Echomap Plus 63cv

20 ft of water....

Bottom Zoomed 5 feet on left... Entire column on right... and VERY far right is a full column A-scope.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2019, 06:30 AM »
I have the EchoMap 73dv and I believe I was able to have two screens up Side-by-side.  1 full depth and 1 with zoomed. And have the flasher mode screen up. But I don't have panoptix. Maybe it's different when using the panoptix.
jbird68

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2019, 06:54 AM »
On the Echomap Chirp when using Panoptix , there is a non-functional zoom. It zooms, but you are not able to scroll to the desired depth (it is locked at the top of the water column).  The Echomap Plus units have an update that added zoom mode support for Panoptix. I hoped that Garmin would release the same software update for the Echomap Chirp, but it doesn’t look like they are releasing any new updates for the older models. I would prefer to stick with the older model (much lower power consumption), but I could really use the zoom function.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.