Author Topic: anybody use the garmin stryker 4  (Read 9613 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: anybody use the garmin stryker 4
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll drill a separate hole for the transducer and use a hole cover to prevent freezing.

If you decide to buy the ice transducer, it has a better way of locking the cord inside of the float and the cord does not come in contact with the ice, works great.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Has anyone tried the chirp ice transducer the gh10 that comes with the panoptix ice bundle I tried it once but never turned it on again. Im thinking about putting it on the striker4 so my friends that don't have electronics can use it when they come with me. Before I got the panoptix the striker4 worked great for 2 years while i cut my teeth on the lakers I would always use the chrip200hz with split screen zoom if in water over 40ft
Go big or go home

Offline Woodyvtwin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is Life!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:11 PM »
If you decide to buy the ice transducer, it has a better way of locking the cord inside of the float and the cord does not come in contact with the ice, works great.
Garmin GT8HW-IF Ice Fishing, CHIRP Transducer is the upgrade needed for the ability to widen cone angles. When set up in the settings of your striker 4, you will be able to see your small jig bouncing on the display, as well as any fish. I do like the float system on this ducer much better.
Fishing is like a pizza, even when it's bad, it's still pretty good!

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:17 PM »
I actually prefer this over a traditional flasher. Does so much more in imo

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Garmin GT8HW-IF Ice Fishing, CHIRP Transducer is the upgrade needed for the ability to widen cone angles. When set up in the settings of your striker 4, you will be able to see your small jig bouncing on the display, as well as any fish. I do like the float system on this ducer much better.

This is the one I bought this year but didn't mess with the settings. I couldn't figure it out
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I'll have mine out Saturday for the first time..and my first trip on the ice this yr.hopefully it works good

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:42 PM »
i wish it had a way to save different settings in a list so you could come back to them later.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Seems to be a good unit, I'm getting one for a extra for my son
i wish it had a way to save different settings in a list so you could come back to them later.
Could always right them down somewhere

Offline Woodyvtwin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is Life!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I've used all types of electronic depth reading devices, but I never did for ice fishing until last year. The main reasons I went with the striker 4 are:
1 - ease of use, I really find the user interface quite user-friendly.
2 - versatility, flasher, graph, my favorite ..... graph with A-Scope combo, and waypoints.
3 - it works very well
4 - price you get a lot for what you pay

Don't over think it, settings should stay pretty stable, once you have it the way you want it. Note that you are always going to adjust it a little bit. Play with it, familiarize yourself with it, know what it's capable of, and not. This will give you more confidence. Settings become second nature. Bottom line is to catch fish and have fun. ;D

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Price and what itll do is the big draw for me, hoping to get the boy to catch a few more and not steal my flasher.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05:12 AM »
I'll have mine out Saturday for the first time..and my first trip on the ice this yr.hopefully it works good
Don't fall into any holes there Big Guy  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline tspace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:14 AM »
im guessing that it was a good thing i asked this question on here sounds like alot of good info on garmin so far . myself, i will be using some of it on conesus saturday. another new body of water i have never been on 

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Price and what itll do is the big draw for me, hoping to get the boy to catch a few more and not steal my flasher.

i have the opposite problem with my father! was gonna maybe get him a striker 4 for his birthday so hell stop stealing my flasher!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Go back to hibernating bigal :whistle: :whistle: :thumbsup:

Offline Dakpheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I've been using a Garmin Striker 4 for 2 seasons now.  Lots of help from guys on Ice Shanty - Thank You all!!!   I use the graph and the traditional mode alternately.  Just depends on my mood.  The traditional mode and A scope arr really handy.   I typically switch to 200 kHz when I am over 15 - 20 ft deep.   Weedy bottoms are difficult.  I also use it on my fishing boat in the summer.  So for $125 it is pretty awesome!  I definity catch more fish with it. There is a tip on Ice Shanty to use the suction cup mount to get the transducer to hang level.  I made my own version because I had the time and supplies.  The box I made was all scrap 1x4 in my garage.  It is hinged for battery access.  Also hard to see in the pics but I have a web strap handle that is attached on each end.   

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2019, 02:03 PM »
i have the opposite problem with my father! was gonna maybe get him a striker 4 for his birthday so hell stop stealing my flasher!

Hodges marine has the portable bundle on sale for $169, free shipping also.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:09 PM »
thanks just ordered one for my friend. he wanted one after using mine today.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Mine will be here Monday, can't wait to see the look on my boys face next Saturday when he gets to use it, it'll be a big surprise

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:52 AM »
That's where I got mine Hodges marina fast shipping to..had it out yesterday ..that thing is amazing ..I would recommend this unit to anybody that wants a flasher and can't afford the flasher..I think it's better than the flasher so many options easy to use all of..I used a marcum flasher for the last 5 yes I won't use a flasher anymore now that I have the Garmin striker 4..

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:56 AM »
That's where I got mine Hodges marina fast shipping to..had it out yesterday ..that thing is amazing ..I would recommend this unit to anybody that wants a flasher and can't afford the flasher..I think it's better than the flasher so many options easy to use all of..I used a marcum flasher for the last 5 yes I won't use a flasher anymore now that I have the Garmin striker 4..

Best deal I found, I paid the extra for 1-2 day shipping so I'd have it by next weekend, ordered it Friday at lunch and have it tomorrow, I didn't think it would get shipped until tomorrow, impressed by there service.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:57 AM »
i have got o find something to put over the end of my cable. but not pvc.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Pipe insulation might work
i have got o find something to put over the end of my cable. but not pvc.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:17 PM »
something to make it so it doesnt get sliced or punctured.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2019, 12:20 PM »
something to make it so it doesnt get sliced or punctured.

If you are running the ducer that came with it, I would run the cable plug side first through the float that came with the kit then just fabricate a stopper so you can set the depth, this will prevent the cable from freezing and or rubbing on the edge of your hole.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Use a pool noodle just cut it to size works great...I didn't pay extra and I still got it in 3 days.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:07 PM »
Use a pool noodle just cut it to size works great...I didn't pay extra and I still got it in 3 days.
Shipping showed not getting it until the 11th or 12th, I didn't mind the extra, still cost less than others and it'll be a cool surprise for the derby next weekend

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Use a pool noodle works great just cut a piece off it will float in hole just fine

Offline Woodyvtwin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is Life!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Somebody here should be getting a good commission from Garmin LOL.
Congratulations, you will all be enjoying one very dependable and versatile machine.
Yay!
:icefish:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Somebody here should be getting a good commission from Garmin LOL.
Congratulations, you will all be enjoying one very dependable and versatile machine.
Yay!
:icefish:
Yep, lots of good advertising for them here.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:43 PM »
That's why we all help each other out . Recommend good gear , but also give a honest heads up when something doesn't perform as advertised . Garmin also has fantastic customer service in case you would need it for any reason .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.