Author Topic: Garmin Striker 7SV: Which ice transducer do I need or is recommended???  (Read 3042 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a Garmin Striker 7SV that I would like to use on the ice this year.  There are two ice fishing transducers available (GT08 and GT10).  One is a wide beam and the other is a narrow beam.  For those who are using the Striker on the ice which transducer is best?  They don't give these transducers away, so I only want to purchase one of them.  Looking for practical experience from the masses.

d1

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Transducer selection depends on a few factors - how deep do you typically fish and what techniques do you typically use to pick a couple.  For example, the cone angle of the 8 will allow you to see a swimming lure such as a jigging rap or a flutter spoon in somewhat shallower depths of 12' or less, whereas those lures may move outside of the 10's cone angle whilst you're working them.  If you're mainly jigging for pannies using a teardrop where a wide cone angle isn't an issue, then the 10 will give you a somewhat better (smaller) separation reading over the 8 from what I understand.  I have an 8 on the Garmin unit I have - haven't used a 10 - and I would rate it as a good all-purpose transducer that can cover most ice fishing techniques.  If you typically fish deeper water, say 25' and deeper, I would opt for the 10.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Transducer selection depends on a few factors - how deep do you typically fish and what techniques do you typically use to pick a couple.  For example, the cone angle of the 8 will allow you to see a swimming lure such as a jigging rap or a flutter spoon in somewhat shallower depths of 12' or less, whereas those lures may move outside of the 10's cone angle whilst you're working them.  If you're mainly jigging for pannies using a teardrop where a wide cone angle isn't an issue, then the 10 will give you a somewhat better (smaller) separation reading over the 8 from what I understand.  I have an 8 on the Garmin unit I have - haven't used a 10 - and I would rate it as a good all-purpose transducer that can cover most ice fishing techniques.  If you typically fish deeper water, say 25' and deeper, I would opt for the 10.

Thanks for the reply and insight.  I won't typically fish in depths greater than 25 feet.  If I do, I have another fish finder I can use for that.  Sounds like the 8 is what I need.  Does it connect directly to the Striker or do I need an adapter cable?

d1

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
The transducer cable connector is a 4-pin on the GT8HW-IF.  Connection was direct on my 43dv.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.