Author Topic: Ice thickness on Lake Superior at the head of the bay between Baraga and L'anse?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Can someone give me the thickness of the ice and the general overall conditions of the ice at the head of the bay between L'Anse and Baraga.  I regularly fish 3/10ths of a mile off shore in that area in 40 feet of water, but I live a distance away and have not had a chance or a reason to drive there to check it out myself.  I fish straight out from that parking lot off US41, which many refer to as "out in front of the willows", referring to the few willow trees along the shore.  I'm hoping to get a permanent shanty set up soon, but need to know how thick.  Thank you.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
there has been people fishing thee for two weeks now. I fished in LAnse saturday was out in 40 fow and had 8-10" of good solid ice .. there are people fishing clear up to sqyaw beach. Reprt was 4-6" at squaw beach as of last weekend

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
I measured 4 1/2" off the lighthouse today.  Open water about 1/4 mile North of there.

Offline S_fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
I was at the willows Sunday, there was 6-8 inches or clear hard ice.  I did not see any any signs of anyone driving on it yet, but there was one brave soul with a side by side off sand point

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you all for your prompt replies to my  inquiry.  I live quite a ways away and you saved me a scouting trip.  Good luck to all and be safe.

Offline TCcrawdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Heard the bays no good as of yesterday, is this true?

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heard the bays no good as of yesterday, is this true?

I'd also be interested to know
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline KRSSmitty

• IceShanty Rookie
I saw a report from Indian Country Outfitters in L’anse saying that the ice was in bad shape and to stay off it...

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
The ice at the head of the bay is fine , especially where I fish which is about 3/10 of a mile offshore . I was just there this morning and afternoon . What Indian country sports was referring to was be on that in deeper water across from the lighthouse I believe . The highwinds recently broke up the ice and there was broken ice out in the middle and the ice was unsafe in that area.  There is still 7 to 9 inches of good ice  in the area I fish.
 Thanks for posting the safety warning . I just wanted to elaborate on it a little bit

Offline TCcrawdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Yeah I got a report from a buddy that checked today and said the head of the bay looks fine. Said there were guys from red rocks over to Baraga still along the shoreline. We're going in the morning I'll report back for sure what I find. I know Sunday we drove over by sand point and it was all busted up then.

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished for about 5 hours today right off the Willow Tree (US41) between L'Anse and Baraga.  As I said earlier, about 3/10th of a mile out.  I have a Marcum underwater camera and it works great at 39 feet in the clear Lake Superior water.  I've had it for about 6 years.  As exciting as it can be to have, today was not a day to have one.  I saw at least 25 fish of all species come through near my bait and only one bothered to slow down for a second to look at it.  The others just swam right by.  Didn't matter what I tried.  I watched it all clear as day on my color monitor, which made is especially frustrating.  Today was supposed to be a "poor bite" as far as the lunar fish bite calendar predicted (if you follow that).  I follow it pretty regularly and it is accurate about 85% of the time.  I knew it was going to be a rough bite, but went anyway because I hadn't fished much this year and needed a day out on the lake to unwind.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a "poor bite" too.  Hope you prove it wrong.

Offline TCcrawdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Does wilkinsons general store in Baraga sell bait? Or do I have to go to Lanse.

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
I believe Woodland fire arms and sport shop has live bait now

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be very careful out there. We drove by the bay yesterday and, from what it looked like, there had been a large section of ice that moved out and the open water behind it froze over. The area off the head of the bay should be OK but there wasn't a very wide strip of good ice out from the mouth of the Falls river. The danger really comes in if there is a little snow on the ice so you don't see the change in the way it looks. I'd recommend staying off the head of the bay and don't wander too far for a while. Good luck!

Offline TCcrawdad

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished out of Baraga this morning. We didn't go that far, but guys we're out at the whitefish grounds, with quads too! But overall ice was fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.