Author Topic: Houghton /Keweenaw Icefishing  (Read 1923 times)

Offline zfish11

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton /Keweenaw Icefishing
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:02 AM »
New ice fishermen, looking to catch some fish but don't really know where to go. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! Id love to find some good crappie, perch, walleye or lake trout spots accessible by foot. Live in Hancock and don't mind a drive just nothing too crazy.

Like i said, just new to it and could use some help so i can have a little winter fun, anything is much appreciated!

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Houghton /Keweenaw Icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:35 AM »
Rice Lake would be a good place to learn
the public axcess on the east side of the lake

and also welcome to the site

SnoHam13

Offline S_fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Agreed on Rice Lake, although I was there last Friday and the road to the public access was not plowed. The road was pretty packed, from snowmobiles but I did not want to risk getting my Subaru stuck. That makes for a long walk.

Offline zfish11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Awesome, thank you for the advice guys! Either of you know anything about chassell bay? Is it the same thing as pike bay or are they separate bodies of water? I only ask because ive heard people talk about them as if they are the same.

Offline updeerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:34 PM »
They are indeed the same.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Caught crappie out of Chassell bay when I went to school up there.

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:11 PM »
New ice fishermen, looking to catch some fish but don't really know where to go. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! Id love to find some good crappie, perch, walleye or lake trout spots accessible by foot. Live in Hancock and don't mind a drive just nothing too crazy.

Rice is nice - especially for those pickling pike, it's my understanding there is no size limit on pike? I went 2 years ago, the fish are hungry, it is fast and furious action. I was using a pike rig and caught some really small hammer handles and a few mid-size pike. It's fun for sure.
Otter lake, 2 areas to access, one with a lot of pike available, one with most everything else including pike.
Lac LaBelle can be fantastic as well
Have fun, be careful, lots of snow and slush on the ice.
Too many lakes
Too little time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.