Author Topic: FISH CHOWDER  (Read 3381 times)

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
FISH CHOWDER
« on: Dec 05, 2019, 03:06 PM »

Ingredients:

Celery (2-3 stalks)
Yellow Onion (One)
Gold/Red Potatoes (2-3 medium sized)
Bay leaves (4-6)
Cream of Celery Soup (2 cans)
Milk, Half & Half, Heavy Whipping Cream
Carrot
Boneless Fish Fillets
Johnny’s Seafood Seasoning

Directions:
In a large soup pot (low-medium heat), put in a tablespoon or so of oil, or butter to lightly brown the diced celery and onions, also add the bay leaves during browning and season with salt and pepper.  After onions brown translucent, add the diced potatoes and fill with water just above the potatoes.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes until potato begins to soften.  Next, add the two cans of Celery Soup.  Fill cans with Milk, Half & Half, or Whipping Cream depending upon how thick and creamy you desire.  For me, can of milk and can of half & half has adequate creamy consistency, stir until well mixed.  Next, add the uncooked cubed boneless fish fillets to the soup and seafood seasoning to taste.  Simmer this for about 10-15 minutes.  Last, add about a half cup of shredded carrots if desired.  Simmer for another 10 mins.  Enjoy with some quality crackers and/or French bread.

You can also be creative and add other favorite ingredients.  Walleye is excellent for the fish.  Sweet onions are good too.  If you cannot find seafood seasoning substitute Paprika, Lemon Juice, Lemon Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Dill, Chili Pepper, etc…  You can adjust the recipe for amount of fish available for cooking and number of peeps you are feeding.  This recipe probably serves 8.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FISH CHOWDER
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Yum! Yum!

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:56 PM »
looks tasty

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Sounds great.wish we had eyes in mass.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2019, 02:25 PM »
My wife tried the recipe and made just a couple of changes and it tasted great.  I liked this recipe better than the first one she made.  We used walleye in both of them.  Might try it again with bluegill for something different.  Thanks for posting it.

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:26 PM »
You’re welcome, good to read the family liked it. Overall, pretty easy and quick meal to prepare.

Offline fishloverMi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:44 AM »
I have read that burbot is excellent for use in a chowder.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.