Author Topic: Navionics App  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
Navionics App
« on: Feb 08, 2021, 11:41 AM »
I just downloaded the latest app to my phone.  I was hoping it wouldn't give me the same issues as it has in the past, but it did.  The location marker shows me a good 200' from where I actually am.  I don't get it because when I pinned my location sitting in my house, it was dead nuts correct on the map.  When I'm on water or ice, not so much.

Anyone else have this issue?  I can get a decent idea what the surrounding depths are by knowing roughly where I am but I'd prefer it worked properly.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Navionics App
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2021, 11:48 AM »
strange ive seen this happen before it can be off at times, I think it maybe a satellite issue. Sometimes its dead nuts other times its not. I was on winni yesterday and walked to an underwater point, I nevber fished it before but I know it was accurate because there was a pop up shack outline and 3 holes right on top of it. maybe test it on the shore of said lake  before you walk out from your known location , if its off just re boot the app..
Salmonemia

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2021, 12:13 PM »
Funny you bring this up. I've never really had any issues with navionics....until this weekend.
It showed my location like 100-200' onshore when I was standing 100' offshore. It seems ok now but i don't know what was up with it.
Don't get me wrong I've always thought it's a great app, but I've encountered more false depth contours this year than any other. Hopefully they continue to keep things accurate, it's been a great tool.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2021, 12:27 PM »
Your phone tells Navionics where you are and Navionics puts you on the map. Does a maps app work correctly on your phone?
If you have an Android phone, you can download the GPS Status & Toolbox app and reset your GPS state with it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en&gl=us

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2021, 12:46 PM »
If I'm in the woods I can go to Google maps, use the satellite image overlay & hit my location & it seems to be spot on.

The lake I'm using it on does have lousy cell coverage so I have no idea if the app requires cell reception or what.

I do have an Android so I'll look into that.  Thanks guys.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:15 PM »
If I'm in the woods I can go to Google maps, use the satellite image overlay & hit my location & it seems to be spot on.

The lake I'm using it on does have lousy cell coverage so I have no idea if the app requires cell reception or what.

I do have an Android so I'll look into that.  Thanks guys.

Jack,
I think it runs on the gps chip in your phone and not cell service/towers. I fish a number of lakes with no service and have not had an issue. I did have it wildly off on silver lake once but I shut off all running apps on my phone and rebooted it. Once i turned my phone back on and opened the app it was fixed. Not sure if that will work but worth a try.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:32 PM »
Jack,
I think it runs on the gps chip in your phone and not cell service/towers. I fish a number of lakes with no service and have not had an issue. I did have it wildly off on silver lake once but I shut off all running apps on my phone and rebooted it. Once i turned my phone back on and opened the app it was fixed. Not sure if that will work but worth a try.

First step in troubleshooting all tech. Did you try to reboot first?

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:36 PM »
Jack,
Yeah, the phone gets your location from the satellites, not the cell towers, unless you tell it to. On some Android phones, there is a setting that uses cell phone towers for location instead of the GPS satellites. I think it's called "Device Only," while the satellite setting is "On." They might give you this option to save battery, but it's not as accurate. Jack may have only given Navionics permission for the "Device Only" setting?
Leaving your location on will drain the hell out of your battery, so you should probably turn it off once you get to where you want to be. It can also lead to your photos having latitude and longitude in the EXIF data, so if you post a picture, your coordinates will be in it.

Offline fishonNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Same issue this weekend. Consistently about 100 yds off. Like most have said this was the first time it’s been off or at least that off.

To the depths. There has been two updates recently that have seemed spot on. Newfound is now showing exactly what we were finding in the boat this year.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:10 PM »
It's a great app (mostly), but every time I update my maps it messes w/ stuff.  I just got it working the way I want it again & I'm not updating anything until after the ice season is over.  It kept messing up my custom contour colors & then switching everything back to meters.  I'd switch it back, then next time I open it...back to meters + messed up colors.  Finally working properly.

Some of the maps are pure fiction, but on lakes which have been accurately mapped w/ a mapping boat - it's good.  There's a few spots on Winni which aren't correct (or at least they weren't correct when I fished them last), but 90% of it is good (at least what I've seen....can't cover all of it).  Some smaller ponds are completely made up - total fiction.

Overall, it's well worth the $15 to me.

If a guy wanted to go the cheapest electronic way possible, navionics app + cheap UW camera will get you pretty far...

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:11 AM »
Critta - My phone definitely does know where my pictures are taken from.  Shows lat/long decimal degrees & even plots it on a map.

I have the Navionics app on right now with the Bing satellite overlay & it shows my location down the the correct corner of the house I'm in.  So that seems to be pretty spot on.

The lake contours do not jive at all with the imagery of the lake though.  The contours indicating the edge of the lake are about 200' into the water.  However when I was about 150' offshore it showed me being a good 200' onshore.  I dunno, I'm questioning everything about this app now.

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2021, 01:57 PM »
That’s unfortunate, I was thinking about purchasing this app, if not accurate not sure the point, I can just look at a map and guess where I’m at in relevance

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I've been using it for over a year now both summer and winter and have had no issues with yet
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:53 PM »
I've used it for a few years now and have not seen any issues with my location being off.

The depth contours for Conway Lake are a little off, but you can't have everything.  I fished Skatatukee a couple of weeks ago and again the location was correct, depth pretty close.

George

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2021, 10:47 AM »
That’s unfortunate, I was thinking about purchasing this app, if not accurate not sure the point, I can just look at a map and guess where I’m at in relevance

Tony I think I'm in the minority so for the $15 don't let my experience sway your decision.  It's probably some dumbass thing I'm doing wrong on my end.

Offline Jack1972

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:09 AM »
So I've looked into this a little more.  The GPS works fine whether it be Google Maps satellite or Bing satellite, in terms of my location.  The issue is that the contour map for Merrymeeting Lake is way shifted to the south & west.  It's clear as day when you have the contour map & the aerial both turned on, even if you aren't actually on the lake.  I checked Winni & the contours seem to line up very well with the aerial image.

If these are not in alignment, it's pretty useless for what I use it for.  WTH good is a contour app on a lake with significant varying contours, when it puts you off 200' horizontally?

Anyone using this, wherever you are, I highly suggest turning on the Bing Satellite overlay so you can 1. check to see if the two maps appear to be in alignment and 2. check the surrounding landscape to ensure it shows you where you physically are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.