Author Topic: Chumming  (Read 8825 times)

surflizard

Re: Chumming
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Hey Jiggin, Last year, we were using it and a Laker hit it just as it came into camera view !! You should have heard the names LLT was calling that Trout whlie he was slurpin up the sucker scraps !!  :woot:  :roflmao:

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2010, 08:48 AM »
I've still got the chum pot from Bill Martel, that my dad bought for me 30 some odd years ago. I wanted to save it, so I had a old fishing buddy/Fabricator make me one. Its Stainless and Wheeler proof !!  :whistle: :roflmao:
(Image removed from quote.)

Surf

Those are the good one, The one your Dad made is an exact replica of Martels oldie's, He did a great job.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2010, 01:07 PM »
After reading this, was wondering where one would buy a chum cup or pyramid......what are they referred to if I were to search the internet? Can't seem to find anythiing on them.

Thanks,
Jack

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Go to AJ's bait and tackle. He has them.

JIGGIN.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Tony, I have a pot just like that. An ol' truck driver gave it to me when I was a kid!

surflizard

« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Thumber, the old Copper chum pot was made by Bill, thats why its on the mantle retired now, the stainless one in the photo, I had made 5 years ago.  ;D

surflizard

« Reply #36 on: Nov 12, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Ya Ben, I'm sure glad that I ran the Stainless one over and not the old Copper one ! :woot: I'll give Jeff, the guy who built it for me credit, it didn't hurt it one bit !  :roflmao:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 12, 2010, 06:25 PM »
I'll give Jeff, the guy who built it for me credit, it didn't hurt it one bit !  

No way, Jeff made mine too. No kidding. I was going to ask you if Jeff made yours in my earlier post but didn't.

JIGGIN.

surflizard

« Reply #38 on: Nov 12, 2010, 06:56 PM »
That's a sign from the fish gods Jiggin, I'll make a point of getting over your way this year, probably for the Newfound derby and we can swap fish tales !  :roflmao:

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Does anyone have a plan for a DIY kind chum can?

Is it basically just a little metal container with holes in it?
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I have two different types, first is the pyramid style, 4 sided with a hinged door on the bottom, the other is a cone shape with a hinged bottom  door. The hinged door allows you to fill the chumer and lower it down to the bottom, give it a good pull the door opens and you chum is on the bottom of the lake.

Stop by one the the bait shops up north and look at one

surflizard

« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:50 AM »
I've seen home made chum pots GB, The toughest part is getting the trap door to open when the pot is down close to the bottom ! I have both the cone and the pyramid style pots, my Pyramid is Stainless and real heavy. It doesn't drift around on the way down. Here is the design of mine if you want to try building you own ! Good luck.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:07 AM »
For a easier release, I change the latch that holds the door to a light weight spring steel, one quick pull and the door opens right up with little resistant's, by bending the latch you can adjust it for light or heavy opening

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2010, 04:17 PM »
guy i know used metal band-aid box as his chummer. everytime he dropped the can, he said he was making a "dump"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I chum just about every time I go out. I take my sucker carcass and grind that up or cut up some pieces of sucker meat from the tail area (not thick meat) or if there are sucker eggs (a bonus!), I definitely use them. Bust em up and mix in a little bit of red fin shiner pieces too. I don't use alot of chum, then chum throughout the day as needed (if needed).
I pop the lid so that it is about 2 - 3 feet above where I jig (keeping the chum diameter tight right under my hole) and then jig in the pile. Stir up the pieces or pound them down into the bottom. If I'm outside fishing without a camera, I pop the lid a bit higher around 5 - 8 feet above bottom to give it some more spread (cover a bit bigger diameter area).

If you chum, they will come..........

JIGGIN.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:46 PM »
has anyone tried any of the liquid bait sents mixed into their cut chum?

surflizard

« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Oh ya buddy !!  I did a Laker taste test with 2 separate bait piles on three different lakes. I put the unscented sucker meat down first each time, then put the scented pile down 2 foot away each time, then watched on the camera. All three times the trout went for the scented pile and devoured it. Same result with the sucker jig trailers, scented ones every time ! I'm sold on it !  :thumbsup:

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:51 AM »
Oh ya buddy !!  I did a Laker taste test with 2 separate bait piles on three different lakes. I put the unscented sucker meat down first each time, then put the scented pile down 2 foot away each time, then watched on the camera. All three times the trout went for the scented pile and devoured it. Same result with the sucker jig trailers, scented ones every time ! I'm sold on it !  :thumbsup:

Surf, what are using for for a attractant ? we picked up some smelt potion made by bioedge in ME, to try out this season on the bucktails for lakers.

surflizard

« Reply #48 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I sent a PM with the Contact info James.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:16 AM »
surf man, could you send PM as to what you like for bait sent. i have tried some different types with mixed results.

Offline BOZO60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:25 PM »
saw this old post, im the guy who made these for bill martel- still have old parts for it

I've still got the chum pot from Bill Martel, that my dad bought for me 30 some odd years ago. I wanted to save it, so I had a old fishing buddy/Fabricator make me one. Its Stainless and Wheeler proof !!  :whistle: :roflmao:

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:59 PM »
the truth jiggin ,i have my own trick for chumming ,it works great see ya at the new found derby ,it was chatting with ya on the lake with my girl ,happy fishing

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:07 PM »
Wow, look at this blast from the past! A lot of old names I hadn't heard in a while. I had just started fishing and joined this site. Oddly enough, I was telling a story that mentioned Sweet Lou today.

Oh yeah, chum pots. As you were.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:17 PM »
Wowowowow! Great resurrection of a thread! I've never used a chum pot, but love the idea. I prefer to feed them lightly and get the stink on the bottom. It is interesting how far bits of chum can travel on their way down. Tried a camera for the first time this year, proves that a pot could be worth it.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2021, 09:14 PM »
I believe in using chum.  The way I chum is dependent on the depth I am jigging at.  If it is less than 20' then I like to use a smelt or sucker puree.  I use the wife's blender to chop it up real fine.  Puts a lot of scent out without giving out too much of a free meal. 

Deeper water, I use a chum pot to make sure it is placed where I want it.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline BOZO60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Good to see all the intrest in chumming.As I posted earlier I made the pyramid  baiter as it has been called for Bill,I also made the woodstoves he used to sell when the bait shop was one room heated by the kerosene heater.I do not know if Bill made any of the copper baiters but suspect he did , Bill did tell me his brother was making the copper baiters which might explain the look I got when I delivered a new batch of pyramids. My good friend Scotty and I were just getting into  laker fishing on Winni.Scotts father had given him a baiter made in Maine called the CHUMBOY, funny I dont think you can chum in Maine.The CHUMBOY was a cone shape but only as tall as a pyramid.Scott and my brother tried to replecate the CHUMBOY using copper flashing but had little success.At this time I was working as a tinknocker/fabricator at a local shop.I had access to stainless steel & a good welding friend.Stainless is harder to form than copper flashing so the protoype was made in a pyramid shape the MASTERBAITER as I called it was born made entirely of ss.The income from my so called invention paid for food ,gas ,tackle ,& bait to for my buddies and I to fish for  quite a few years.Scotts  father had a friend who pointed us in the direction of an old HOTSPOT for lakers.We did not have much success until  we were shown by the OLD MEN of THE LAKE,Bob Sawyer and Ken Mounsey.With all the modern gadgets and reading on here what they taught us still holds true 35 years later .So here goes my 2 cents worth.#1 dont freeze your suckers when thawed they turn to mush instead keep them on a chain type stringer in a hole until you need them,#2 no scales no bones cut up into sugar cube size pieces add sucker eggs  and yellow canned corn if you want,#3 put all this in a coffee can add your fish lure (Berkley Strike  was the best) stir it up and dont let it freeze,#4 golf ball size amount is all you need per hole,#5 DO NOT use your tip up/jigging holes. for cusk lines,#6 drill your holes in a wagon wheel type pattern some will produce some will not, #7 bait once a day.When using a tip up #6 or#8 baitholder snelled hook with one sugar cube size piece of your chum for bait,cut your jig bait  with no scales& no bones use lure if you want,#9 over time some holes will produce some will not- dont waste expensive chum  on dead holes.Now take your MASTERBAITER fill it with your chum drop it into the hole let it hit bottom give it a good jerk and repete until all your holes are baited.Put  a tip up in one just off the bottom and then jig the rest ,spend about 15 minutes at each one until you find the HOT HOLE.GOOD LUCK, BOZO.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 21, 2021, 01:35 PM »
Bozo, Great history and fishing info, thanks !

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 21, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Awsome write up thanks for the info!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Still chumming and still have Jeff's brass chum pot. I don't use Jeff's cause I'm afraid i'd lose it. It's hanging on my ice fishing wall at home, safe and sound.

Thanks for bringing this one back.....I thought it was a new thread until I started reading my previous comments......messed me up for a minute. Lol

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Still chumming and still have Jeff's brass chum pot. I don't use Jeff's cause I'm afraid i'd lose it. It's hanging on my ice fishing wall at home, safe and sound.

Thanks for bringing this one back.....I thought it was a new thread until I started reading my previous comments......messed me up for a minute. Lol

Jiggin, what’s this season’s laker count for you this season? I really miss the Circus banter and shenanigans... :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.