Author Topic: space saving ideas  (Read 2187 times)

Offline zooker

• IceShanty Rookie
space saving ideas
« on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:40 PM »
a way to lose weight and gain inside room is with the insulation. rolled just sucks it is heavy thick and ya get all itchy.. home depot has a insulation that is less than 1/2" thick has the same r rating as 6,8,12" rolled- it comes in differant ratings- you can put it up with a staple gun and a pair of sissors.. mind you this stuff is a tad higher than regular rolled insulation.. it pays in divdins with a much need extra space in small shacks. as we all know space is a very valuable thing in a hard side. also when building a hard side ripping a 2x6 in half is better than a 2x4. heres why a 2x6 actual measurements are 1 3/8 x 5 3/8 inches ripped in half on the standard table saw you get a board 1 3/8" by 2 11/16 exactly-can ya tell i work in lumber- pressure treated is nice but heavy. a kiln dried pine board will last for ever if painted with epoxy before the assembly pocess..the epoxy coated board weighs half what the pressure treated one will..

i may be the resident redneck but what you drag out on the ice. i build 20-30 feet in the air. down here we call them box stands. it is what all the fashionable rednecks deer hunt from..:D

zooker     
cranked by optima pushed by powertech in a word YAMAHA..

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: space saving ideas
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2006, 06:22 PM »
also when building a hard side ripping a 2x6 in half is better than a 2x4. heres why a 2x6 actual measurements are 1 3/8 x 5 3/8 inches ripped in half on the standard table saw you get a board 1 3/8" by 2 11/16 exactly-can ya tell i work in lumber-

I don't work with lumber much ,But when
I do the saw blade cuts away a width of wood as wide as the blade (making saw dust). So with an 1/8" inch blade you would end up with two 2-5/8" wide boards

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2006, 06:26 PM »

I don't work with lumber much ,But when
I do the saw blade cuts away a width of wood as wide as the blade (making saw dust). So with an 1/8" inch blade you would end up with two 2-5/8" wide boards

your right, and thats if you cut dead straight :tipup:
and i have worked with wood, 2x4 ans 2x6's measure all sorts of things, nothing exactly :tipup:

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2006, 09:36 PM »
Built a 7'10" X 7' 10". Legal on the road in WI. I, ripped Two X fours in half, the floor and the roof, holds the whole box togrether.  :)

Offline zooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:43 AM »
gas
i already figured the kerf in. but hell it is only a 1/16th differance.

zooker
cranked by optima pushed by powertech in a word YAMAHA..

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2006, 05:07 AM »
i have a pretty good idea i want to try on my shanty before the season. i need a place to store my firewood i was gonna build a bench and stack it under it but dont think i want to give up the space inside. then i had an idea to frame a long rectangular hole just under my window which runs the length of the shack. in this hole i will build a box that slises back and forth like a pop-out on a camper. but a rim on front and back so it cant fall out. when i get my shack to the lake ill push it out and screw a couple brackets under it to support the weight of the firewood. now i have a wood box the whole length of the shanty and and when its time to bring it home simply unscrew the brackets and push it in. shack is still same size inside and out

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2006, 11:13 PM »
zooker!  :) Got me me on that 1/16 of a difference!  :P My, description was wrong, Roof  and sides are made of ripped 2X4's. The floor is heavy duty treated!

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I use a string hammock (fits in a pocket)...if I need a snooze .Very comfy .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.