Author Topic: Homemade Dewalt ice hut vs. Pop-up style portable shelters?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
It has been a while since I posted.  Life has taken a few turns and I now find myself living in SE MI owning a house that has a pond.....with fish!  :)

I'm now in an area with lots of water I can access along with my own pond so I'm considering my portable ice shanty options.  Here are my requirements:

- 2-3 people (4 person would be great but probably too big 85% of the time)
- can be pulled/carried by 1 person also pulling/carrying gear (I walk; do not own a snowmobile or ATV)
- can be slid into the back of my fullsize van (I have ramps) and/or on top of my station wagon by 1 person (I do not own a trailer but that may change soon)
- can retain some heat
- $200-300 is about all I can afford

My first thought is to build something so I was looking at Dewalt Ice Hut style shelters.  I would go with a canvas cover rather than a tarp.  I even have access to some old downhill skis for runners.  You would have a floor, more rigid structure around you and could double as the sled to carry gear but I fear even that "lightweight" design may be more than what 1 guy can safely lift into/onto a vehicle (if I'm by myself).  In the event we go up to my parents lake cabin, I don't know how well this would fit into the van with people and luggage also in the vehicle:

(Mudder Man's shanty on this site)

I'm also looking at the pop-up styles, especially the insulated Eskimo models:

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=PopUps

The Eskimo 949i goes for around $300 and is claimed to hold 4 guys.  There is no floor to keep your feet off the ice, so that is a con.  However,  I could easily take it to any local lake, especially where ramp access and/or parking is tight (even if I had a trailer for a larger, heavier shanty), I can jam it into a vehicle with other luggage, and it could ride in the sled or I wear it on my back.  I'm leaning toward this option.

I have a pop-up blind for deer hunting but the walls are thin, plastic-y, with tons of windows I can't seal easily.  Has anyone had experience with both of these styles and can comment how well they work, pros/cons, etc.?

Thank you!

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Homemade Dewalt ice hut vs. Pop-up style portable shelters?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Been there, done that.

Once I started using my 949 I gave the home made fold-up one (like shown in your first picture) to my nephew. Now I use my 949 & my QuickFlip2.

To your comment about the 949 not having a floor, I can't say its an issue. I have warm boots and sometimes I use those foam inter-locking square (2'x2') matts.

So based on my experiences, buy the 949 and get out and enjoy our sport!

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:00 AM »
I have both the Frabil Refuge and Frabil Headquarters portables. I love them both and which one I take on a trip depends on what my plans are for the trip (set tip ups, stay put in one spot all day I take the Headquarters. If I am doing a run and gun and its going to be cold, the Refuge is the ticket).

I built one hard side shack years ago and after one season with it I burned it to the ground and said never again! Portable and lightweight is the only way to go  :tipup:

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:17 PM »
Portables are really the best option in my opinion.. If it is too hard to move, you wont wanna stay on top of fish, and I don't know about you, but I like to catch fish!

Go Beavers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.