Author Topic: Modifying a portable hunting blind?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Modifying a portable hunting blind?
« on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I have an Ameristep Bone Collector hunting blind:

http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/bonecollector.html

I'm searching the forum but would like to hear from those who have modified a hunting blind to work better on the ice.  Some initial thoughts I have had are:

- Ice anchors - use 6" wood screws or lag bolts

- Air leaks - the windows are screens with solid panels behind.  Unfortunately the solid panels do not use velcro like the screens do, but I could make some panels or try working with issenglass with velcro strips to make a tighter sealing panel.

I plan to set it up this week and see what I may be able to patch together.  I also picked up a sled that should fit inside.  I hope to fit some seating in it. 

Money is tight right now so getting a dedicated ice fishing shelter is out of the question.  I'm hoping to make this one work well enough.  Thanks for suggestions/ideas!

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Modifying a portable hunting blind?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:35 AM »
Sounds like you have a plan. Ice anchors are a must. A piece of old carpet is nice for a floor.My son used his doghouse many times and his buddy heater kept it warm. Use it and modify as you need. as long as it getd you more time on ice, It is doing its job.  Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:31 AM »
If it's what you have to use it  will work. The problem is with all the window openings and the light fabric, it's hard to keep warm in them. Lots of wind flap, and snow drifting into the blind. I have used one because I had to but there are plenty of houses out their designed for ice fishing that are very affordable. Good luck with it!

WS

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan. Ice anchors are a must. A piece of old carpet is nice for a floor.My son used his doghouse many times and his buddy heater kept it warm. Use it and modify as you need. as long as it getd you more time on ice, It is doing its job.  Steve

I've been thinking about heat.  I have another thread in the "Equipment" forum asking about Dietz oil lanterns.  I have a couple but they probably don't throw enough heat unless it was a still day.  I already have a tank-top Mr. Heater like this:

www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=21

The link says it fits a 1 lb. bottle.  Mine is older so I do not believe it does.  I'm also not sure I would want to due to a short run time and being top heavy.  Hauling a 20 lb. tank on the ice seems excessive but it may fit a 5 lb. or 10 lb. tank if I can find one.

On the carpet idea, do guys use the indoor/outdoor carpeting?

Thanks!   

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:23 PM »
i have tried using my scheels boondocks hub style blind... Sure its better than nothing but not even close to something that is acutally designed for ice fishing. Hunting and fishing blinds are manufactured for diff purposes and its shows on the ice when its COLD!..Wind gets in everywhere in a hunting blind, it isnt on a build in sled to carry equip, doesnt have built in chairs so those have to be carried also in an additional sled, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect.....if you are on a tight budget hopefully u can find a way to make it work but i found it was more trouble than it was worth. If you have some extra cash get a flip over style skack w built in seating ect... or a bare minimum get a pop up ice hut....keep everyone posted, maybe you will come up with something the rest of us missed...
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Tylerfromwindsor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:14 AM »
When I first started ice fishing all I had was a cheap hunting blind. I purchased some clear shower curtains and Velcro with adhesive backing at Walmart. Cut the shower curtains to fit the windows and placed the velcrow around edges. Helped keep wind out and was affordable!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 AM »
When I first started ice fishing all I had was a cheap hunting blind. I purchased some clear shower curtains and Velcro with adhesive backing at Walmart. Cut the shower curtains to fit the windows and placed the velcrow around edges. Helped keep wind out and was affordable!

Sounds like it worked for you.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.