Author Topic: Flip over shanty----Otter vs Clam  (Read 12987 times)

Offline trmotorsports

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip over shanty----Otter vs Clam
« on: Aug 03, 2010, 05:35 PM »
I am looking at a flip over shanty. I have looked at the Clam Nanook Thermal and the Otter 2 person models. They are in the same price range but I cant tell too much about them on the websites. Does anyone have any experience with either of them? I am 6'1" around 200lbs so I need some room and my buddy is around the same height but heavier.
Thanks
Tyler

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Flip over shanty----Otter vs Clam
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Otter has better sleds, Clam has better tents. That is about the end of it in my opinion. Do yourself a huge favor and wait until the retailers start hauling their stuff out. You can't compare two shacks by the specs alone. There are too many variables to buy one sight unseen on the internet. You just gotta go play with them. They never seem to be what you expect. I was originally going to buy a FT Guide, but when I got to the store it was much smaller than I imagined. I ended up with a Voyager, that is quite a swing!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:23 PM »
I agree with Skipper. I like the Clam material better than the Canvas on my Pro Otter but the sleds on the Otter are better. The X2 traps have nicer sleds though. Wait to see some in person and I wouldn't rule out the offerings from Frabill. Frabill makes some nice traps too.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I agree with Skipper and dkfry. Is one lighter than the other? How are the poles/setup? Seat arrangements? Hows the fabric? Does it breathe or no? Go in the store and play,play, play, with 'em. Take a buddy along.
That's what the displays are for.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I started out with a Frabil one person, (complete piece of junk, the sled wasn't anywhere near the quality of Otters and I swear the material was different from the display models in the store. One weekend on the ice and the material shredded,, Frabil said I had poured kerosene on it, ya right) I ended up spending the money for an Otter Cabin, 2 man.  No regrets other than taking out my son who has now adopted it for himself. I bought another, the 1 man Otter Cottage, same quality sled and material, nice swivel chair.  The frame is easy to set up and take down, no binding at all.  I'm 6', 220, my sons about 6'3 and 200, we both fit into the 2 man, no problem.  I didn't go with the Clam as quite a number of people were having issues with the material "flaking" on the inside and you could see right through it.  Although Clam exchanged the material, I don't think you need the hassle.  I would be checking availability right now, if I'm not mistaken, one of the other guys on the board got one a month ago for a healthy discount.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2010, 07:45 PM »
I have had two Clam flip overs. My first was a trap II and then a guide. Both are good shantys. I still have the guide and use it mostly by myself. I have used it with a friend but would like something bigger when a guest in out. As always you want to show a newbe a good time and allow them to fish in comfort. I may look at a cabin style that doesnt have a bottom. These seem to be lighter and large. It would be nice to have something that would hold four fishermen comfortably. Anyone have any comments?

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2010, 08:51 AM »
If you have 2 guys over 200 pounds, I think you will be pretty crowded in either.  I'm 6'3"  205, and I use my guide (same as nanook) as my 1 man, and have a voyager for fishing with buddies.  I have no experience with otters, but everything I have heard is what these guys have already said, great sled, mediocre fabric.  I wish there was a store for iceaholics like us, that way we could see ice gear set up year round.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2010, 09:37 AM »
I have a couple of clams and like them both very much.

The voyager tcx has plenty of headspace, I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room to stand up in it. the only drawback is it weighs like a 130 lbs empty.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Yeah, no kidding! My Voyager is beastly heavy too! I think the big two and two plus one shacks are out for hoof pull. If you dont have a wheeler or a snowmobile, forget about the Yukon and Voyager sized shacks. I find that my Voyager loads and unloads quite easily by just standing on the pickup tailgate and lift/pull with the rope. Pulling it through the snow is a whole other story.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2010, 06:16 PM »
The Otters are not real light wither. Nice to have a sled or ATV to pull. Sorry to say no Sled or ATV allowed for me. :'(

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Go with the Otter!!! I love my one man

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2010, 10:35 PM »
My Otter is real nice. Sled is real good, tent to me is just fine. the tubing is very good quality. I have a Wilderness Perch its a large 1 man and has a ton of room. Only down side is when you have deeper snow and your pulling by hand, it is a total BEAR to pull.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Also use a Guide as a one man, I'm 5' 11", 190 lbs.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Here's what I've seen.

The clam's tent is pretty nice material. The sled is cheap. Not very tall either to stand in.

The otter has a very nice sled, durable, roomy, not bad seats, tent material is getting better and believe they went to a square pole system.

Frabil's sled is cheap, good quality tent material and great seats. Believe they use a square pole system as well.

I have an Otter magnum and love it. Plenty of room for two people (all kinds of dancing room for 1 person). Is very heavy to pull in deep snow. Tent material is very poor (I bought this when they first came out) but I believe they've improved upon the tent materal.

If I was going to buy another, I would look at Otter and compare them to Frabil. I would go with another 2 man and use it as a 2 or 1 man portable.

Like the others on here have said, you really need to go some place and check them out before you spend your money. They arent cheap (big bucks now) and you need to get several years out of them through all weather conditions.

Good luck!
JIGGIN

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2010, 08:33 PM »
My Otter is real nice. Sled is real good, tent to me is just fine. the tubing is very good quality. I have a Wilderness Perch its a large 1 man and has a ton of room. Only down side is when you have deeper snow and your pulling by hand, it is a total BEAR to pull.

Would agree here, I purchased the two person cabin last year, we had 2 ft snow here in Western Pa and it was a BEAR to pull. When no or very Little snow (6") absolutely loved it. Held up to the high winds on Lake Erie with no problems. The sled is of high quality, be sure to get the tracks for the sled. I have the swivel two seats and needed to put felt on the brackets so as not to wear down the canvas where it met the sled, if you put the seat bracket down on it by mistake it could wear, but it was very sturdy and comfortable. Square tubing was very easy to put up and take down, very roomy for myself and a buddy both 200lbs 6"ft each, fit 2 vexlars and a marcum camera on a platform w/ no problem. With this all said you put so much crap into it you need two people to take it off the truck unless I use my sled or quad and pull it off the trailer (most times I was able to find an fellow hardwater-nut to help me put it in the truck though). Used a buddie heater and the temps maintained 80 degree in there (about 4 hours per bottle), had to strip down to t-shirts. I cannot compare this to the clam for I have only owned this Otter but I did sit in each of the differant brands before purchasing the otter. I believe dead weight with seats and sled was about 150lbs plus all the gear. Hope this helps. Ron
Ron

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2010, 08:51 PM »
So, most agree that the Otter sled a tough peice of equipment to beat.  Here's a company that builds on the Otter sled and produces a top-notch shelter.  Buy the Otter sled locally and have the tent shipped, saves some cash.
Canvas Craft.
I bought their Norpac tent and it is absolutely the best I've seen or used.

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Not to confuse you , but do yourself a favor an check out the Eskimo Sled Style Shelters as well. The Eskape in my opinion beats both hands down with the QRS (Quick Release System) Poles and the Many vent windows. The Quick Flip is nice too, but the Eskape in my opnion has a better seld than otter, a more comfortable seat and fabric and features the same grade or better than Clam.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.