Author Topic: tipups  (Read 14680 times)

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
tipups
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:14 PM »
I was thinking of buying some tipups and was wondering how you set them up or trout? :tipup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: tipups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:02 PM »
I put on about 100' of 30 lb icefishing line with a 4 ft 15 lb mono leader and a small treble hook. I like to use either 40-ups or the flat style  :tipup: tip-ups.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 05:54 PM »
I have an assortment of tip ups some beaver dams, Heritage lakers, and some standard cross arm wood tipups and they all work fine, as far as rigs, that can be dependant on the trout you are fishing and if you plan on keeping them or releasing them. I release all the trout I catch, so I use circle hooks, if I am fishing lake trout I use a 15lb fluro leader, Browns I use 8lb spider wire,both about 6 ft long, I don't fish bows or brookies that often so I couldn't realy say whats best .
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:04 PM »
i have heritage's. i put 450ft of 18 lbs with 10ft 6lbs line with 14# trreble hook.  :tipup:

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:41 AM »
I don't have anything to add here, but am DEFINATELY interested in the thread.  I am hoping to get some rainbows this year.  Never had any luck(partly because of the time of day I can fish..), but hope to find some success this year. 
I love a flag!!!!

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:11 PM »
Here is my set up and Please let me know what you guys think:

TIP-UPHT Windlass Tip-Up. 
MAIN LINE75yds of  Berkley ICE Power Pro (4lb test dia. with 15lb test strength).
SWIVEL Red Wolf #10 Barrel Swivel.
LEADER Trylene XT (Extra Tough) 6lb test with a small split shot in the center.
HOOK Eagle Claw #12 Treble hook.

BAITS:
A 3" Smelt / Icicle / or Golden Shiner

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:13 PM »
looks like mack's got it right!

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:40 AM »

MAIN LINE75yds of  Berkley ICE Power Pro (4lb test dia. with 15lb test strength).

BAITS:

Favorite (best) depth?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:32 PM »

BAITS:
The only thing id change is the treble and go with a #6 or #4 gamakatsu circle hook.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:38 PM »
 ;Dwell i went to a yard sale and got a bunch of spooled up tip-up rigs and some brand new ones, and i just change the line to the hook, with berkley 12lb test line, with a number 2 hook, which is red.  It works fine, with trout.  Now when i go for pike i put a steel leader on. 

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Why is everyone over-gunned? What size trout are you targetting? Any line larger than 6 lb test is pretty much pointless IMO.....

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:04 PM »
6lb is pretty much a guaranteed snapoff....15lb minimum 100yds of dacron with an 18" steel lead....nice fat ciscoe tailhooked as their likely going to go on a long run anyway.....Grump

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Why is everyone over-gunned? What size trout are you targetting? Any line larger than 6 lb test is pretty much pointless IMO.....
i usually use 8 or higher but maybe thats why you outfished me when we went out last yr... line shy?

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Guaranteed snapoff eh? I guess all those trout I caught this year, and will continue to catch, are just wussies ::) Grumpster we're talking trout not pike lmfao......no wonder trout are so hard to catch back east..... ::) My numbers don't lie

-Thoreau

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:55 AM »
i had 2 brake off this weekend 1 soundind the hole something hit it lost sounder and 1 with fish on in weeds :tipup: :(

Offline cavedave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:33 AM »
I'll be after trout for the first time also. What depth do ya normally fish the different species. I was told rainbows cruise just under the ice. How would you set up a tip up for that?

lakers?
brook?

Thanks

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:05 AM »
I have a 4-5' mono leader on the end of my tip ups, to set just under the ice I let out about 3' of line and let the bait swim.  If you don't use any weight they usually end up just under the surface of the ice.  If you have a gravel bottom next to shore, try setting up only 10 or so feet from shore.  We used to get some great browns this way, usually in 3-5 feet of water.  I know it sounds crazy but it works.  Lakers can be found anywhere, on bottom or cruising just underneath the ice.  Set your lines at different levels and move them around if nothing is biting.  Once you get dialed in, get ready to have fun. Good luck and tight lines!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Heres what the lake trout would do if I used 6 lb line, Upon seeing my 6lb line,

The biggest lake trout in the lake would go and round up all the other lake trout in the lake,saying to all of them in hysterical laughter " You guys wait and see what this goof thinks he can catch me with, it looks like 6lb test (as all the other fish die with laughter He says) what a joke, I bet you all 10 smelt and 2 medium sized perch that I give one half adipose tug and I can snap him off."

Heres me sitting waiting for a flag, " Oh Boy FLAG!" Yeah the spool is turning pretty good, I grab the line give a little tug and, PLINK.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:35 PM »
lmfao :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I like it.....but the thread was rainbows.......I use 25lb fireline for lakers.....not that I've landed one yet ;D

-Thoreau

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:37 PM »
lmfao :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I like it.....but the thread was rainbows.......I use 25lb fireline for lakers.....not that I've landed one yet ;D
No its not, he spoke of trout in general then a few guys started talking lakers, I do agree with you about rainbows tho and browns for that matter light line is needed.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Sorry I don't consider lakers trout....they are char

-Thoreau

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Sorry I don't consider lakers trout....they are char
Yeah, thats great so are brookies, OH wait your up in Canada so they speckled what? TROUT Or speckled char whatever, it's irrelavent, Browns are a salmon thats closely related to the Atlantic if you want to get technical, but since everyone and myself included talk about these species under the trout category, or we get a char listing added and as much as it breaks our hearts we will all have to call them trout. Even you charface  ;D

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Well, char (lakers) get big here....so there's a clear line in my mind as to trout....and char....trout are little.....char are BIG. Very big diff in my mind. It's comparing apples to oranges as far as tackle comparisons
::)

-Thoreau

Offline vermontpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 41" 21lb
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:13 PM »
lake char fishing?   just don't sound right to me
chock it, pull it twice, if it dont start your out of gas.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:18 AM »
I call them char....not lake trout....for the most part....I never heard them called Togue or Mackinaw beofre joining this site!

-Thoreau

grumpymoe

« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2007, 06:39 AM »
I call them char....not lake trout....for the most part....I never heard them called Togue or Mackinaw beofre joining this site!
   and nobody had heard of PGKris before either lmao...Grump  :roflmao:

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:25 AM »
I was thinking of buying some tipups and was wondering how you set them up or trout? :tipup:
Well...Without knowing where you fish and for what kind of trout...I'll assume you mean stocked trout as that's what most of us have to contend with. Here in northern Pa. our trout lakes are stocked...mostly with rainbows, a few with brook trout, and a few with a mix. Most of the ones I fish are stocked with rainbows and the fish are 11" to 16" on average with the occasional "pig" that's 20+". That said, I use 30lb braided dacron line on my polars because that's what I've had on them since I bought them years ago, a plain old two hole small white button threaded onto the braided line for a depth marker, a small black barrel swivel tied on to the braided, and a leader of 6lb test mono 4' to 6' long topped off with a #8 Aberdeen style hook. I add a few small splitshot to the leader about 4-6" from the hook. I use the Aberdeen because it's much easier to get ahold of with your forceps because the little buggers always seem to inhale the bait on the coldest days and you really don't want to have your gloves off that long!!! But anyway...I use small minnows...Fatheads, Rosie reds, etc. but what really seems to work well on the stockies is Berkley Powerbait. The paste type bait that comes in different hot colors. I never really saw a preference but I use chartreuse, hot pink and hot orange with equal success, just roll a little ball about the size of a dime or smaller and push it onto the hook. I set the baits anywhere from a foot off the bottom to a few feet under the ice as the trout seem to feed throughout the water column. Just pay attention to which tip-ups your getting the most hits on and adjust the others accordingly......WK :tipup:
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

JJ

« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2007, 09:02 AM »
   and nobody had heard of PGKris before either lmao...Grump  :roflmao:
;D

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:36 AM »
HMMMM....looks kinda like an advertisement....LOL.. .WK  ;D
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:44 AM »
They were kind enough to donate several of their tip-up devices for the online tourney.
Ken                                          

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.