Author Topic: Women's boots  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Women's boots
« on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:37 AM »
So I just took my gf out for the first time and she actually enjoyed it so now it's time for her to actually buy some good boots for her. She really doesn't have any boots at all and she's prone to cold feet so I let her borrow my 1000g hunting boots and with big socks they fit loose but ok. She said her feet were warm all day so I was looking for women's boots in that range is insulation. The only problem is. All I can find is either not enough insulation like 200, maybe 400. Or a camo hunting boot which she would prefer not to wear.
So long story short, looking for suggestions on a good cold weather women's boots that's preferably not camo
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Women's boots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Don’t buy her a women’s boot.  She’s not out on the ice to show off her frilly boots.  She wants warm feet.  If you can tell me what size she wears in men’s, I’ll locate you a great boot for ~ $100 or less.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:43 AM »
My wife loves her Kamik Pack boots. And don't forget to get a good pair of Wool socks.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:01 AM »
She's got nice Merino wool socks. I told her that socks are more important. I figured men's boots would be fine too but still basically everything is camo
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:17 AM »
The problem I find with most boots is that they are too tight at the top. No room for pants to go inside of them. Hardly room enough for my long johns >:(

I have been looking for some wool socks and it is the same with them to tight at the top. I looked a dozen different kinds the other day. I am stuck wearing the two pairs that are almost worn out.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Most womens boots suck! They are all mostly designed for fashion. You're right that a lot don't have more than 400 grams of insulation. You're far better off trying to find a small size mens boot that will fit. As someone else pointed out, it's all about funtion, not fashion. I told my woman she can have whatever pair she wanted for going around town, but for going to the cabin or fishing she needed a pair of sorels. That's exactly what we did too. She's got her pretty pair, and her caribou sorels for when it matters. Like I told her, you can be warm everywhere else, but cold feet will take you out of the game, so you need to dress from the ground up.

Offline niceout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:44 AM »
When my son was young we couldn't find kid boots that were like my Sorels or Baffins but Baffin women's pack boots had the normal heavy felt insoles, he finally agreed when l said to tell people that the "w" on the bottom near the 6 meant wide. Put hex screws right into soles and he never had cold feet or trouble with traction. He's almost 30 now and he still mentions it when we're talking  :tipup:  Baffin's seem to be my overall favorite for pack boots, Sorel changed something.   

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Don’t buy her a women’s boot.  She’s not out on the ice to show off her frilly boots.  She wants warm feet.  If you can tell me what size she wears in men’s, I’ll locate you a great boot for ~ $100 or less.

DN

That's probably the best idea,  a couple sizes smaller in mens.   You can always tie a couple of pompoms on the laces, or beat the snot out of any guys that make fun of her.  ;D

Offline Live4fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I purchased the arctic sport muck boots for the ole' lady to first get her on the ice and moving around in the winter. She had some run in with frost bite when she was younger so fighting the cold out there is gonna be a rough battle. I didn't think to use mens boots when getting a more finite pair for on the ice and such. Well have to keep that in mind for when the time comes...this year the ice has been non existent here in Montana...

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Muck artic pros.  Lots of women wear mucks, especially the farm girls.  ;D ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:35 AM »
My wife’s been wearing Arctic Sports for the last 3 seasons and loves them. I wear Arctic Pros and also love them. Can’t go wrong with either in my opinion.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:38 AM »

DN

Exactly...I used this chart to get some mens boots for a women size 8 ..not knowing what size conversion ...I just took the womens size in inches and got a comparable mens size in inches ...or you could just measure her foot with the sock configuration she likes to wear and use the chart ..little bigger is better FOR TOE WIGGLING ROOM … I would also suggest slip on no lacing or limited lacing ...in case you would like to add a toe/foot heating pad .Ended up getting some rubber Kamiks w/removable liners from DSG.

https://www.zappos.com/c/shoe-size-conversion

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/kamik-mens-hunter-insulated-waterproof-winter-boots-18kmkmhntrblckxxxfbo/18kmkmhntrblckxxxfbo
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Like everyone else says, get her mens boots. Women's are not built for outdoor use or warm as mens. When my wife goes with me she wears lacrosse icemans.  Who cares if they are mens or womens. Just care that they are warm.  Steve

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Buy her a pair of women’s boots. The women’s Arctic sport is a great boot for women. You want her to be comfortable and the proper foot ware will do just that. Look at all of the color options. Buy her what she wants not what you think she needs.

I buy my wife ladies clothes for hunting and fishing. They fit her well and therefore she stays out there all day.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Buy her a pair of women’s boots. The women’s Arctic sport is a great boot for women. You want her to be comfortable and the proper foot ware will do just that. Look at all of the color options. Buy her what she wants not what you think she needs.

I buy my wife ladies clothes for hunting and fishing. They fit her well and therefore she stays out there all day.

Color does not keep your feet warm.  When it comes to outdoors apparel, women usually don't think with a purpose.   

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:04 AM »

I'm going to assume she won't be going out with you when it's sub-zero, so these might work fine.

https://www.sierra.com/baffin-muskox-pac-boots-waterproof-insulated-for-men~p~450fm/?filterString=mens-winter-and-snow-boots~d~458%2Fbaffin~b~1336%2F

Just a shot in the dark, since I don't know what size...  And if you go to Shoes.com or STP via activejunky.com, you'll save an additional 7% to 10% respectively.

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:10 AM »
I got some nice Sorrels for my daughter this year from Dicks.  They were kind of pricey (around $100) but had lots of sizes.  Her's were a 7 but there were bigger one there.  She says they are supper warm and loves them!  They are grey with fur at the top.  I forget the name.

Update: Just looked them up.  They are called Joan of Arc Boots.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Muck Artic boots had a pair for myself bad circulation and cold feet got these always warm feet with wool type socks. I use the toe warmers if colder that -5 got a pair for the wife mens size 7 I think, best move I ever made. Happy wife happy life and she wants to stay longer out on the ice win win for me. ;D As far as looks my wife says I'm a fisherwoman I look the role and that's what she wants.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Muck Artic boots had a pair for myself bad circulation and cold feet got these always warm feet with wool type socks. I use the toe warmers if colder that -5 got a pair for the wife mens size 7 I think, best move I ever made. Happy wife happy life and she wants to stay longer out on the ice win win for me. ;D As far as looks my wife says I'm a fisherwoman I look the role and that's what she wants.
I started using those toe warmers for snow plowing, and playing in the garage. I am a believer.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Baffin is an incredibly warm boot and has lots of women’s styles.  You can often find them on sale. You will be much better off with a Woman specific boot because of the calf fit. If it is one she has picked, she will be much more likely to wear it and go with you.

https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter-w

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Another vote for Mucks. No complaints since we got her some heavy mucks, socks with plenty of room, and foot warmers that stick on her toes. Socks are important for mucks, since moisture can not be stored in the insulation, like most boots. The insulation in Mucks is the neoprene, which does not breathe at all. Dry or swap socks every day.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Baffin is an incredibly warm boot and has lots of women’s styles.  You can often find them on sale. You will be much better off with a Woman specific boot because of the calf fit. If it is one she has picked, she will be much more likely to wear it and go with you.

https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter-w

All the more reason to buy a clunky, heavy men’s boot!  LOL!  He wants her with him now because she’s the gf.  When she’s the wife, he might (like most of us!) want to leave the little lady at home!  My soon-to-be wife 35 years ago was all about hunting and fishing with me...UNTIL WE WERE MARRIED.  LOL.  All that hunting and fishing gear we bought for her went bye-bye shortly after the ring was on her finger!  :roflmao:

DN

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:55 PM »
I had no hobbies when I got married about 4 years later I started dabbling in fishing. umpteen fish houses, boats, rods, reels etc. Well lets just say it's been a great hobby for both of us. The bride cuts hair for a living and loves to talk ;D She can talk fishing with the best of them. You would be amazed at what guys will tell her, there favorite lakes spots etc. it has been fun ;) She even wears bobber earrings. I asked her if the looks of the Muck boots were OK for a woman she said a real tough ice fisherwoman yes other girls can stay home ;D ::) I'm lucky

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Mucks have women's styles too.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Mucks have women's styles too.

And they have a comfort rating of -40f to 40f

Offline Live4fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Had my fiance on ice today with woman's muck Arctic sports, she loves them and my extra set of ice cleats fit them just as well, her feet stayed plenty warm once we got the extra socks off her feet. You don't want tight fit in boots or else feet freeze and can't breathe, even in mucks that don't breathe. since gear and prices are always big questions I was thinking of getting her an ice specific pair, baffins are good so may run with them

Offline Maja1990

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:23 AM »
It is not worth saving on good shoes because it freezes the most from the feet. Of course, it is worth taking a slightly larger size so that they do not adhere perfectly.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Don’t suggest boots that make her look like Herman Munster. She won’t wear them. I know.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2020, 07:30 PM »
High heeled Sorels might work?

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.