The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What is your favorite species to catch through the ice?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is your favorite species to catch through the ice?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Every flag and bite I get I say to myself "God let it be a trout!"  But a fish is a fish and tight lines bring the good times.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Well, I will say that tipup fishing for pike CAN be fun, if you don't factor in the effort it takes to set everything up, and then the ridiculous amount of money spent on bait.  My girlfriend and I usually go out a few times a year and set up the 15 I have and we have fun waiting for flags to pop.  Haven't ever gotten into a huge pike, but the thrill of watching the spool spin before we know what it is is always exciting.  As for jigging - well.....nothing schools up, fights, or are abundant like the white perch.  I just can't stay away from them.  They're just too fun to catch and can be tough to find at times.  Plus you can catch them in deep water and the fight is even more fun and longer!  Yellows pre-spawn in March can be a blast when you find the big schools of jumbos too  @)

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Walleye and big trout definitely tie for first place for me.

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Crappies and yellow perch, the bigger the better. In truth anything is better than nothing! Bass are bonus.
Gary Owen

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:06 PM »
I can't really say that I have a favorite. 

I like going fishing for lakers a few times a year.  We don't get many flags, but that makes the ones you DO get even more exciting.  Usually hit Caspian, Willy and Seymour during the winter.  Still hoping for a salmon, rainbow or brown out of one of these, but haven't had any luck with those yet.

I like pike fishing a couple of times a year (limited trips due to ridiculous bait prices).  We usually get a ton of flags (we probably chased close to 50 flags last weekend!) and you never know when the next flag will be that giant you've been hoping for.  I do like the fact that I can clean 1 pike and have a meal vs cleaning 40-50 perch for the same amount of meat.

I also like fishing for panfish (mostly perch, because I don't know where to find 'seeds or 'gills) because of the action you usually get and my legs don't have to get worn out from chasing flags all day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.