Author Topic: Striker 4 - Not Seeing Jig  (Read 4090 times)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Striker 4 - Not Seeing Jig
« on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:48 PM »
I've only recently started fishing with the Striker 4. After watching YouTube videos, I am not seeing the same results as others. I have seen what I believe are fish, and during one trip I was able to see my jig but it was very faint. Using a swedish pimple.

That being said, I am using the regular transducer, and simply dropping it into the water. It's probably not level. I'm wondering if that's my problem?  I don't have any experience ice fishing with electronics other than this.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Striker 4 - Not Seeing Jig
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Yes it needs to be level, might have to lower it a little in the hole, did you get the blue float with it?

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:31 PM »
try putting the transducer cone below the lower level of the ice

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:48 AM »
sometimes it marks harder that others. depth zoom etc play a role in this.

Offline johnb340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I haven't tried the boat ducer yet but others have had the same issue so I don't really have a good answer.  I know it's a pia to get the boat ducer level from what I've read.  Since it's your first sonar unit, are you sure your settings are correct.  I'm assuming you're using manual gain and not auto gain.

I added the ice ducer and it works fantastic; the extra 100 was well worth it imo.  I feel like I got 2 decent sonar units for not alot of money.  I've used it in 6 to 60 fow and it marks my jig really well and can even tell if there is perch sitting on the bottom.  I like being able to take the beam width to 24 degrees in shallow water.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I started using an EchoMap 73DV this year. I am using the transom mount transducer mounted to a PVC pipe. I haven't been impressed with it so far. I lose my jig at about 16 feet. I find it harder to see my jig and the marks seem to be jumbled together. I don't think the separation is that great. I also have a Showdown and I like it much better. So what if it does not have a color screen. I was fishing side by side with my Showdown and when I thought I was on the bottom using the 73DV the showdown showed I was still off the bottom. I was going to try the 73DV on ice to see if I liked it and if I did I would buy a second mount, power cable and ice transducer for next year. But now I think I will just leave the 73DV on the bow of my boat and look for a used Showdown for next year. 
jbird68

Offline moose49017

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's go fishing
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:25 PM »
I'm new to electronics this year.
Helix 5 DI chirp gn2.

I was experiencing the same problem. I would watch the videos and get the settings all the way they should be in the house and then out on the ice I don't know what I hit the wrong button or something and couldn't find my jig.
I found the gain and the surface clutter controls seem to make a lot of difference. I don't know if you have those on your model.
But if you do give them a try. Stick with it after another three or four trips navigating all the buttons and controls became more second nature.

Offline kratz151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:52 PM »
Hey Rick, i use the open water transducer that came with my striker 4 for ice fishing. It all depends how straight down the face is pointing. When i get it just right i can see the jig and even the barrel swivel a few inches above it and any fish. In order to do this i mounted the transducer to a 2 foot cut off wooden broomstick. I slide this thru a hole drilled into a 1x4 which sits flat in the ice. So that it stays in that drilled  hole and remains adjustable based on ice depth i put a plastic garden hose clamp just barely snug. Works for mine but you may choose intead to just shell out the 100 or so for an ice transducer. That certainly would save you some much needed space in your ice sled.

Offline kratz151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2019, 01:55 PM »
I also like to set it on split frequency with A-scope. That way you have the flasher and some history for both views that transducer offers

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Mine come with a 6" piece of float, similar to the vexlar float, put a loop through the float and put transducer through the loop with enough length to get close to bottom of ice, works great, could see both jigs on it.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:24 PM »
Just tried out Garmin Striker 4.

Worked awesome with skim transducer.

All I did was leave off the suction cup house and bracket. 

Used plain skim transducer by itself....

I folded the wire forward of the bolt ....installed the bolt.....and put 2 tyraps on either side of the wire to keep it centered and ballanced.

Instead of using factory blue foam I used 12 inches of pipe insulation foam.....installed over wire and taped up ends snug so it would hold in place.

The only time I couldn't see my jig I simply lowered transducer deeper.....only happened 1x in 8 hours fishing

I used and prefered Split screen with flasher on right side.

I was able to mark fish 4-6 inches off bottom.

We caught close to 20 Walleye....2 Lakers.....and I marked a 20 lb like 6 feet off bottom in 24 FOW...raised jig up and pow he hammered it.

During landing it he swam and hooked another line pulling that rod down the hole!....first came pike out of hole.....then other line....was able to retrieve the rod....lol!

I was amazed at how well it worked......coming from Showdown Troller 2.0.

Very Happy....

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:22 AM »
Just tried out Garmin Striker 4.

Worked awesome with skim transducer.

All I did was leave off the suction cup house and bracket. 

Used plain skim transducer by itself....

I folded the wire forward of the bolt ....installed the bolt.....and put 2 tyraps on either side of the wire to keep it centered and ballanced.

Instead of using factory blue foam I used 12 inches of pipe insulation foam.....installed over wire and taped up ends snug so it would hold in place.

The only time I couldn't see my jig I simply lowered transducer deeper.....only happened 1x in 8 hours fishing

I used and prefered Split screen with flasher on right side.

I was able to mark fish 4-6 inches off bottom.

We caught close to 20 Walleye....2 Lakers.....and I marked a 20 lb like 6 feet off bottom in 24 FOW...raised jig up and pow he hammered it.

During landing it he swam and hooked another line pulling that rod down the hole!....first came pike out of hole.....then other line....was able to retrieve the rod....lol!

I was amazed at how well it worked......coming from Showdown Troller 2.0.

Very Happy....
Very cool, I love the one I have

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:07 AM »
For the price it cannot be beat....bummer it doesn't load maps however...but I ride some pretty rough terrain ...and kinda like the almost disposable  price point.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Yea, great for the price, was a huge selling point for me. I bought it for my son to use and liked the price in case he didn't take care of it, but he's done great taking care of it and been marking everywhere we fish with the GPS.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.