Author Topic: Ice Fishing Boot Review  (Read 23615 times)

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing Boot Review
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2015, 03:03 AM »
I bought a pair of Cabela's Inferno boots last year.  Fished all winter without a shack in temps from - 20 to 30 degrees and my feet were warm and dry all winter.  Couldn't be happier with them.  Whatever you buy,  get then a size bigger than you normally wear. The number one reason for cold feet is because people buy bits that are too small. Packed  insulation doesn't work very well at all.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 11, 2015, 03:07 PM »
I'll also give a vote for the black mickey mouse boot, if you really want to get serious buy the white bunny boot.
The white bunny boot seems to be harder to find, but they are even warmer than the mickeys, also heavier!
They tend to run large, so it's best if you can find a place to try them on first. I wear a 10R MM boot, every other boot I own is either an 11 or 12 W.
For what you are describing I would try to find the white ones that have the air valve and are marked BETA on the sole,  warmest boot I have ever owned!

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 11, 2015, 05:09 PM »
The most comfortable boots I have ever owned were Keen Summit County boots. They were not very warm and not very water proof. I owned a pair of Sorels many years ago, and wore those boots out. They were good but not great. They were good enough that last year I bought a pair of Sorel Glaciers. They were very comfortable and very warm, but the problem I had is a common problem with the Glaciers...the liner for whatever reason causes one's socks to fall down and after about 50 paces they are bunched up under your foot. I researched and tried all of the recommendations to prevent this from happening, but I just kept finding myself repeatedly having to take my boots off in order to pull my socks back up. This year I bought the Cabela's Inferno 2000 Pac boots, and am hopeful they will be better. I have learned that for me, the most comfortable boot is a lace up boot (not a one-pull lace or slip-on boot like a Muck) and does not have a liner (like the Glaciers). I like my Kahtoola microspikes, and could not get them on a size 13 pair of Trans-Alaskas, but could just barely get them on the Infernos. So, for me the Cabela's Infernos seem to be just right. They came highly rated, so I am hopeful my experience on the ice with them will be positive.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Save yourself $200.00+ and get Military Cold Weather (Mickey Mouse) boots.  Black Color for most winter applications or White Color for extremes.  Also buy a little bigger than normal to upgrade breath-able socks.  You can buy and FIT these at most Army Surplus Stores.  I even had friends FIT them at local store then go online then buy them.  I am sure EVERYBODY likes to save $200.00+ or spend $200.00+ on other needs :)  Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Loren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2015, 08:19 AM »
LaCrosse Ice Kings.  I think I could fish barefoot and never get cold feet.  I have had a pair going on 15 years and no cracks or leaks. The only downside is finding cleats wide enough to fit them.  I did get a pair of cleats from Cabelas years ago that slap on with Velcro and have golf cleats on the bottom, have mended them a couple time but they still work for these wide boots.  Checked with Kahtoola about cleats to fit these but no one could tell me whether they would fit.

Offline Derag2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Muck artic pros with merino wool socks....

Offline lunker hauler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 20, 2015, 10:40 PM »
LaCrosse Ice Kings.  I think I could fish barefoot and never get cold feet.  I have had a pair going on 15 years and no cracks or leaks. The only downside is finding cleats wide enough to fit them.  I did get a pair of cleats from Cabelas years ago that slap on with Velcro and have golf cleats on the bottom, have mended them a couple time but they still work for these wide boots.  Checked with Kahtoola about cleats to fit these but no one could tell me whether they would fit.

[/quot
Ive got a pair of ice kings and use kahtoola cleats.  They are a great combo.  I also tried a pair of stabilicers and got sick of fighting with the velcro straps.  The kahtoolas are a tight fit, but they work great.

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2015, 12:37 PM »
Ive tried most the big brands, the alaskans, the predator pacs and my feet were always cold.  On all my Canadian trips I saw the locals always had baffins.  I bought a pair last year and that was the end of cold feet, paired with some kahtoola ice cleats, the best combo ive ever seen.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2015, 01:06 PM »
I have a pair of Gorgia Giant boots I bought for work 1000 gram. Use one pair of wool socks. Don!t put them on till I hit the lakes. Keep warm under some very cold conditions. No matter what brand you by make sure they are not too tight in the toe area. Pinched toes less blood flow.

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline HuskerSlabMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 25, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Muck Artic Pro

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:11 PM »
black mousers  . 45 bucks on ebay

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Hello, all:

I ended up buying a pair of Baffin Titans in Spring 2013.  Feet were warm and dry throughout last season, my only gripe is that the top of the boot is so dang wide I can't fit the legs of my favorite bibs over the boots!  That's ok, just provided an excuse to upgrade to some new rain bibs.  For $130 I hope the Baffins continue to provide many seasons of service.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:16 AM »
Hello Tj, funny seeing you here!  Bunny boots are the way to go, 25$ a piece.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Sorel boots. Dry feet. Don't wear your boots while driving. I wear my slippers. Feet will sweat in the truck. Take an extra pair of socks.

Offline bigjigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:49 PM »
I've not found any boot that will keep my feet warm if I sweat in them while sitting on the ice after dark. I do all of my walking, setting up, hole drilling, etc with a cheap pair of rubber boots and regular socks. After I get the hard work done I start fishing until my toes start to get nippy then switch to a fresh pair of wool socks and dry pack boots. (1600 gram I think?) I don't put on the dry pack boots until my feet start to chill so I can ensure my feet are done sweating and I don't lace them very tight. Also, I put my boots on my boot dryer after every outing to be sure they're dry. Before I had my dryer I noticed that sometimes my boots would retain moisture after repeated outings and never get fully dry.

Offline Ever64q

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2015, 11:23 AM »
I have Baffin Impact boots and Sorel Conquest boots. Baffins are the warmest ice fishing boots i've ever tried, so i use them only in special occasions. Those really seal the warm. Sorel boots are more comfortable and have gorgeous looks, but i would not wear them in Alaska or Canada. They have -60 F guarantee, vs Impact's -148 F. I did research before purchasing, and this article - http://ice-fishing-gear.com/best-ice-fishing-boots/ has some good points and list of best ice fishing boots right now.

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I found a pair of Sorel Glaciers on eBay and have been somewhat impressed. Haven't had them out all day in super cold weather but have been out for several hours in 10-15 degrees.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.