Author Topic: Jonttu Sport Rod  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
Jonttu Sport Rod
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Just got one of the Jonttu Sport Rods (palm rod) from Fiskas -Your Bobbers Down for $20.  Didn't come with any instructions, so I had to guess how the line should be threaded.  It's very similar to the Marmish and other palm rods, but I have never used them before either.  Anyone who has used these and could give me some tips, it would be appreciated.

I have many "high end" rods like a Thorne Bros custom rods and Ultra Ice Frabill rods with Shimano reels ... so this is a complete 180 from what I would normally use.  Mostly I jig for panfish, and I've learned that when they are really picky, they don't like the lure spinning from the twist in the line created by the spinning reel.  That's one of the reasons I wanted to try a palm rod.  Plus I like the bite indicator as it shows when a fish "breathes" on your lure ... ULTRA sensitive.  I do know that these palm rods aren't designed for fighting the fish, mostly it's done by hand, but it's designed for lure presentation and bite detection (I think).  Any input from palm rod users would be great, thanks in advance.

-Sullymon

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Jonttu Sport Rod
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Go to the Marmish webite from the link at the top of the main page, they have several tips and how to videos.

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jonttu Sport Rod
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Hold the rod, with your finger pointer extended (hand symbol for gun) and  rest the palm rod on your thigh while the rod tip is over the hole.  With the extended finger tap the rod in intervals, giving small movements, while other times I will lift it 3 inches with my wrist to change things up. It is important to rest it on your thigh during the jigging because you wouldn't believe how much you move just "sitting still".   You already know about the hand lining the fish so that's not an issue.  This type of fishing is very different from a rod and reel, but I can promise you ... if you give it a chance you will enjoy it.  I certain do.  BTW I hooked two 15" ciscos on the weekend this way (fished deep). They both were put back because the season wasn't open.  Oh well. 
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.