Author Topic: Cold water rescue....Monksville Res  (Read 3230 times)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
Cold water rescue....Monksville Res
« on: Jan 24, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Guys.
Ice is super sketchy right now.  Be very careful out there, not worth your life.  Some guy went though this week at Monksville Res.  See below:

https://nj1015.com/days-after-nj-teens-die-3-more-plunge-into-icy-water-report-says/

RINGWOOD — Following the deaths of two teens who fell into the ice on Wednesday, another person fell into the ice at a Passaic County reservoir on Friday afternoon.

State officials said a man fell into the ice at Monksville Reservoir in the Long Pond Ironworks State Park. West Milford police were notified about 2:20 p.m.

The Cresskill-Closter Daily Voice reported earlier in the afternoon that three people had fallen into the icy water and that one of them suffered a cardiac arrest but Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Larry Hajna said only one person was rescued.

West Milford Mayor Michele Dale said that the man was rescued by two officers from Ringwood and a West Milford officer with a specialized wetsuit.

The condition of the victim, including whether he had suffered cardiac arrest, was not immediately available.

The victim was hospitalized at Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains.

The temperature in the area was 48 degrees, according to the Rutgers weather station 13 miles away in West Milford. State climatologist David Robinson said bodies of water have been "ice free" for weeks with extremely cold temperatures only happening in the past few days.

"And that's simply not enough time for any water body to freeze over to a thickness that can support anyone being on it," Robinson said. "It just hasn't been brutally cold for any extended period of time this winter."

Two teenage boys died after being pulled from separate icy ponds Wednesday in Middlesex County. In East Brunswick, 13-year-old Yousef Khelaat was pulled from a small pond on the grounds of the municipal complex while David Tillburg was pulled from Carteret Pond in Carteret after going under the ice.

Read More: Days after NJ teens die, another plunges into icy water | https://nj1015.com/days-after-nj-teens-die-3-more-plunge-into-icy-water-report-says/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cold water rescue....Monksville Res
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:38 PM »
That’s a shame. I saw him yesterday when I checked it at 9:00am.. He was sleeping in his car and his tipups were on 1.75”-2” of black ice.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2020, 09:46 AM »
Tues was all open water wed it skimmed over not sure why people risk it there's good ice less than 2hrs away.Shame.

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 06:27 AM »

No fish is worth your life. I know we enjoy the sport but it has turned out to be a lousy ice season.
Until the ice is safe there are other things we can do. We can come on here and check conditions, share ideas, etc..
You can go to a target range if you're into it. Hunt if you're into that.
There are other options until the ice is safe. So please stay safe.
Last night I said a prayer for the gentleman's  family and friends. I would rather not say one for anyone here.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:41 AM »
I still don't get why the guy was out there in the first place, like you said, no fish is worth your life. This sport of ours is becoming more and more difficult to enjoy each year.
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:44 AM »
I still don't get why the guy was out there in the first place, like you said, no fish is worth your life. This sport of ours is becoming more and more difficult to enjoy each year.
Totally agree on this.

Offline njmar75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:51 AM »
He did not survive ...past away in hospital

Offline mike NJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2020, 09:46 AM »
That sucks. RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum