The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island Report 2/5/19  (Read 1425 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island Report 2/5/19
« on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:26 PM »
What a difference a day makes!  They're baaaack!

I got on the ice a little after 8:30 with a cup of fatheads and a half dozen "medium heavy" shiners; some weren't much bigger than some of the fatheads; that's all she had left.

We lost a little ice since last week; still about 16" but it's softer.  My old Jiffy went through in a jiffy; didn't have time to warm up.  There's 3-4" of water on top, more in some places, my feet were soaked by the end of the day just from splashing around.  Heaven forbid you drop a fish on top of the ice; you'll be chasing it like a grizzly chasing salmon upstream...

This time I started putting my tip-ups along the rocks in about 3 ft of water.  Got my first flag before I had set the last.  Fought like a big one but I lost it in the brush that's gathered there in front of the rocks.  But that's a good place...

I started jigging in 14' of water in a horseshoe kind of hole; you can see it on a map.  The perch bite started slow; didn't get my first one for a hour and this popped out.  No wonder they're not biting; they're full already?  Can anyone recognize this?  Is it an alewive or just some native minnow; you can see some scales on the tail if that helps.

After that it was steady but not fast; I had to really jig for them with several different presentations, a minnow, half a minnow, wild jigging, until finally I got the second one.  Then I tried an eyeball and that worked for awhile then I went back to minnows and they started to pick up a little.  Lots of small ones.  And plenty of flags; I think some of it was big perch tugging on the not-big-enough bait and I lost every single one.  A couple were pike, though, they spooled off a mile into those branches along the rocks; I sure got my exercise chasing them.  And then the wind stopped and it was nice out. 

Lots of guys out there today moving shanties, must be not to good out in the middle.  I talked with several and nobody had any luck at all.  Pretty soon all my store-bought bait was gone so I put some little perch on and then bam!  This guy was way out in that pile of brush; the thing was that the flag didn't tip up; he ran the spool almost out and no flag; I've got to spend some time tuning my old tip-ups.  Anyway I thought I'd lost him a couple of times; he was swimming toward the hole faster than I could bring it in hand over hand.  Finally I gave up, thought I'd lost him, spent the next several minutes reeling up the line strewn all over the place and when I got the hook to the hole he was still on and almost jumped out onto the ice.  You can see my perch bait in his mouth.

Don't know why this pic is upside down but you can see some nice ones in there.  Just enough for a frying and a plate of poor-man's shrimp.  They stopped biting at 2:00 and the wind turned from the south to the northwest and it got cold; I've got wind burn on my cheeks.

I don't know what the water on top will do over the next couple of days.  If it gets a chance to dry out a little before freezing it'll be better going.  Lots of water and two big cracks at the access so watch out.

Offline catfish4577

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hog Island Report 2/5/19
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:21 PM »
I don't think is an alewife. highly unlikely but it looks like a sturgeon.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Nice report thanks!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Great write up, thanks for the report.
Derby is this weekend, it will be busy there.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Based on the color at the tail, it looks like a small perch.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:03 AM »
Thanks for the report. Glad the wind died off for you and you caught something!

The cough up looks like a perch to me.

Wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:11 AM »
Great write up, thanks for the report.
Derby is this weekend, it will be busy there.

I fished up there last year during the derby and was surprised how quiet it was. 

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Sounds like a fun day. As for the fish, Sculpin maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mottled_sculpin
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Sounds like a fun day. As for the fish, Sculpin maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mottled_sculpin

I was kind of leaning that way already, and those pics sure look like the "cough up".  Striped tail and all. 

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I guessed sculpin because we caught a burbot at tabors one night that puked up a far less digested and much easier to identify sculpin that was about 3-4 inches long.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:38 PM »
I guessed sculpin because we caught a burbot at tabors one night that puked up a far less digested and much easier to identify sculpin that was about 3-4 inches long.

I concur...looks like a sculpin based on its shape and what's left of the coloring. Meaning they have hugging bottom😉
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.