Author Topic: Flourocarbon, Mono or Wire Leaders?  (Read 23301 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Flourocarbon, Mono or Wire Leaders?
« Reply #60 on: Mar 09, 2019, 04:14 AM »
sooo..im in a pike fishing slump.i have not caught a pike since I switched to wire...but no one else has had many flags either.ive only landed 2 northerns this whole season.normally 10 to 20 landed by now. pike season closes on the 15th in michigan.
[/quote

Same here Doc. First flag of the season I iced one. Since then I've had a bunch but can't seem to land one. I've done everything from circle hooks to trebles, hooking different on the bait, immediate hook sets to letting them run from here to Lake Huron...everyone of them has dropped it.  ???
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #61 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:41 AM »
Been an odd season for me too. Last outing put it all on a thumbnail:

One small pike before noon (we were on the ice @ 6:00), a couple of "drive by" flags that were clearly bumped off or pulled by a spooked minnow but nothing else. I was in wire, one guy and his kid had mostly fluoro and a couple wire and my son was 2 fluoro/1 wire fishing a mix of live and dead baits.

Finally @ 4:55 pm I get a flag on a Q/S rig with a couple dead shiners. Swing and a miss... (how'd that happen?) I re-bait and Kyle gets a fluoro flag. Miss. My freshly set rig goes up again, 30"  ;D. Kyle misses another on wire. As he is re-baiting another of his goes up so he takes that. Miss. When he returns to the rig he was resetting he finds the wire leader broke off near the hook. He'd gotten his bait on and just threw it down the hole on a short line to get the other flag, just left the tippy lay next to the hole.

As the season progresses feeding windows get smaller, sometimes really small. We stayed till 6:30 with no further action. All day for about 20 minutes of excitement. And even then our total success was only 25% all day. Not very good.

Even earlier in the season we had issues with walleyes hitting, head shaking on the run and dropping bait. Setting hooks right away helped but all were barely hooked in the upper lip.

@musky-man: If your wire is 18 - 20# there's no benefit to doubling other than extra strength. 20# is plenty for most of the fish you'll catch and you can get the rest, just can't horse 'em. I've used as light as 12# but it's very fragile and really didn't get me bit more often. I know, it's very flexible as it comes off the spool and so thin it makes you wonder but it works.

Doc, Iceassin, I appreciate your adventurousness with wire as I also feel your frustration. I got pushed into a lot of different stuff this year not fishing where and how I wanted so I made the best of it. I did learn some stuff but didn't get on the spots I've had great success with in the past. One of the things I've learned fishing muskies, when things get tough don't experiment too much. Stay with the best spots and your highest confidence presentation for the conditions. Might only get one swing but at least I'm not skunked. Remember it's not about you, it's about the fish.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #62 on: Mar 09, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Esox I had it doubled to help it from kinking. Tight lines!
if your not fishing, your not living

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.