Author Topic: 2 way radio's  (Read 1195 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
2 way radio's
« on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Thinking about getting some walkie talkie or two way radios for ice fishing.  Does anyone else use these ??? Who makes a good model? Whats a good price? Are there any features that are must have. Any advice would be welcome :tipup:

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2 way radio's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:16 PM »
both the newer motorola and midlands would be the 2 choices. They are interchangeable as the channels are all on the same band.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:22 PM »
i do use these with a friend of mine.  we usually fish close by, but not within talking distance.  we usually start at what we think is a good area and move around until we locate fish.  as soon as we located some good fish we do communicate with these.  there are many good brands out there, such as cobra, midland, motorola are all good brands.  i have cobra's which are not to pricey.  mine have a 7-mile radius, which is more than enough.  of course the higher the range the higher in price they get.  those brands mentioned above are all good quality brands.  i tried uniden, and they sucked.  reception was poor, even on clear blue bird skies.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Get a set with rechargable battery packs.  Also make sure they have a NOAA (weather) channel.
Happiest when on a frozen lake!

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2007, 07:59 PM »
We use these all the time, more for hunting than ice fishing, but they're handy to have any time.  I went with new Motos last year, "10-mile", and they're great.  The most important things are:
1. A key lock so you don't hit the buttons by accident, and a tone/roger setting so you can turn off the annoying confirmation beeps.
2. Easy multi-channel function.  You want to be able to use subchannels to avoid overlap with other FRS/GMRS users.  The Motos generally come with 11 main channels and each one of those has a large number of "squawk" subchannels.  If you get one of the higher-end models it may include more main channels up to 22, with channel 20 being the National Emergency Alert channel.  But those are usually more expensive.  If you don't mind paying a little extra you can get one with a weather band radio built in, which is nice if you're going to be doing any multi-day trips with the radios.
3. Maximum range you can find.  The newest ones still use just 1/2 watt transmitting power, but are rated at 15 miles or more (under ideal conditions).
4. A lanyard loop is a bigger help than you'd think.  Hanging the radio around your neck is a lot easier than fishing it out of your pocket with your gloves on.
5. Rechargeable battery packs are a must, but try to get the kind where you can also use 3 AAAs in a pinch.  if you do multi-day trips, you'll want to be able to bring extra commodity batteries without worrying about buying extra proprietary battery packs ahead of time.
6. Finally, it can be helpful to get one with fewer buttons on the front, opting instead for a better LCD screen interface.  The more buttons, the harder it will be to use in the field when you're half frozen and don't want to take your gloves off.

That's what I've found, after researching and experimenting in the field for a while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.