Author Topic: 4 wheel ATV or 2 wheel ATV, which will work best for ice fishing?  (Read 11923 times)

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
HomeWood - I think you’re on to something… do you think I can get it past the old lady… I could say my Power Auger, Lawn mower and Weed whacker must have made it..
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
still can't post pics

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Here you go.
Robb :tipup:

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
While I agree that 4wd is nice I have never needed it ice fishing.  I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 with 4wd that I use to haul firewood and plowing the driveway.  Unless we get more that 6" of snow I don't need the 4wd to plow.  My ice machine is a beat up Honda 300ex 2wd.  I fish Erie alot when we have ice and I have never had a problem dragging all my gear out.  You have to take it easy on glare ice but I cannot think of a time I wished I had my 4wd out there.  I have "dirt dog" tires on the back with no chains and it does fine.  There have even been a few times I have brought my 4-wheelerless buddy and all his gear out with me with no problem.  Well I guess it was no problem except for all the guys laughing at a couple 200 lb plus guys riding double.  
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
HomeWood - I think you’re on to something… do you think I can get it past the old lady… I could say my Power Auger, Lawn mower and Weed whacker must have made it..

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.  ;D
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice rig Robb!
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
i can't stress it enough like these guys said 4x4 all the way means more hauling power,control, and an all around work horse.  The world of 4x4 is so much more greater than 2 wd drive.  We had an 02 450 honda and we had mudlite tires and the originals.  We studded the original tires for real good traction on bare ice. It was a fantastic machine!!
hauled any and pulled anything i ever needed it to do.
Once you get a momentum going with 4x4 they are near next to impossible to stop!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Nice rig Robb!

I wish!! I just posted the pic for ice man.

Robb  :tipup:

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I would not take a 2wd out on the lake due to drifts etc, i take my Arctic cat 4x4 out with the plow on so i can scrape the area im gonna set up my portable to avoid slush with the heater....I also dont need to anchor my portable with it attached.

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Rob, what did I do wrong?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Man - please tell us a little about that shanty.  Is there a website?  Thanks.

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
they are made in saskatchewan, Koenders Industries, they have a web site. I like them except they sweat alot when it's cold out.

Offline ice man

• IceShanty Rookie
Hold-on Industries makes them too but they are shorter and you can't stand up in them and these have a 2 ft. storage area in the nose that is handy. I had one but it got wrecked in a big wind storm 3 weeks ago, so I bought this Koenders one in Saskatoon last week.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
I prefer my race quad, it gets me to wherever I want to go atleast 2 times as fast :-)
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Arctic Cat has more power, but the Honda IMO is better quality.

Could you expound on this a bit more?  Do you think that it is mostly because the AC is the older of the two?  Would you say the same thing if you were to buy a new AC vs a new Honda?  Don't the older Hondas have drum brakes in the back?

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here's Roughneck's sweet ride (hope he doesn't mind me posting its pic)

Hopefully next year I can get its bigger brother...

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Could you expound on this a bit more?  Do you think that it is mostly because the AC is the older of the two?  Would you say the same thing if you were to buy a new AC vs a new Honda?  Don't the older Hondas have drum brakes in the back?

Well, they both have around 350 miles each, so years is what's separates their age. To me the Honda is better for fit and finish. The engine is turned so the crank is parallel with the frame, which cuts the need for more transfer of power systems. It is easier to work on, more room for tools. It can self diagnose some problems, such as the elec shift sensor went and the gear selector flashed a certain amount of times, which was a code. Told the dealer and I bought the part. No such thing on the AC. The Honda is more nimble and handles better and even with drum brakes ALL around it stops on a dime.

Goods for the AC. It doesn't get stuck as easy as the Honda. It has tons of power and isn't as cold blooded as the Honda, most of the time. It's liquid cooled, which is good I guess. Nice all around quad.

I hope you don't think I'm bashing AC, I own one. My favorite is the Honda.

Those track systems are so cool!
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Thanks Rob, what did I do wrong?

Not sure. You have to click the "insert image" button then paste the picture link into the brackets.
Robb :tipup:

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nothing better than Pulling out a honda, Yama or Polaris with My AC.....Ground Clearance is 12", can tow 1050 lbs (Considerably more than others in same class) Made in the USA!!! Only thing that is inherent with it is its weight, the 400 weighs 750 lbs without me on it.....But wouldnt trade it for another Brand...

Offline water walker

• IceShanty Rookie
I agree with all the others that a 4x4 is the way to go.  I've had numerous atv's (3-wheelers, 2x4, and 4x4) and the 2x4 will do the job, but not as easily as the 4x4 will.  Also, Slipbob is correct, you can not use motorized vehicles on state owned waters in PA, but you can use them on private lakes and ponds.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity has no end

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
Yup to 4x4! I have a Yamaha 660 Griz w/ ITP 589 6 plys. A trick I do is put slime in each tire for year round punture protection and then as we get snow and ice I take the studs that are for snowmobile tracks(3/4") and put 4-6 per lug set.This setup will go anywhere that chains will and you don't have to keep adjusting like chains. In the spring I don't bother taking them out,they wear down on their own. I use my rig for plowing,logging,hunting,fishing and trail riding. That said, I really like my machine,But my buddy has an AC 500 with the box on the back and it will out pull mine for weight, just slower on the trails.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have the TBX (box) as well and I havent ridden any trails where i was traveling 55 mph, so speed for me wasnt a concern.

Offline perchin

• IceShanty Rookie
I have the TBX (box) as well and I havent ridden any trails where i was traveling 55 mph, so speed for me wasnt a concern.
Yup, not a big factor for him either.jam a 700 efi in it and keep everything else the same and I would have to get one myself(might anyway) ;D

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
If 8" of snow is all you get a 2wd model is all you need to pull a sled under 100 lb, but I would still get a 4x4 if I could. The 4x4 would be handy in the spring on muddy trails and of course you gotta remember that you will travel through drifts where 8" may become 2ft. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hope you don't think I'm bashing AC, I own one. My favorite is the Honda.

No not at all...I've been thinking of buying a quad myself and am interested in hearing the good and bad.  I'm leaning towards AC but there isn't local dealer support so Yamahas are looking better.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
I'm leaning towards AC but there isn't local dealer support so Yamahas are looking better.

You could just get a Honda, they don't break... :)  :o  :)

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
i wouldnt use a 2x4 if the lake had more than 6inches of snow. got my friends polaris xplorer 400 stuck bad today heading to a pond because the 4x4 isnt working now. i prefer snowmobiles personally :)

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
I thought I remember someone like carpcatcher one time saying it was illegal to use an atv on the ice in Pennsylvania ???  Maybe not :-\ 

No motorized vehicles are allowed on state owned PA lakes. 
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i have a 2004 yam bruin 350 4 by 4. i put a old set of trk v chains i cut down to size for her and she goes anywhere. i rarely put it in 4wd unless i hit a good drift. drove this w/ a 200lb loaded sled 17mi. opening day breaking trail in 16in. of snow. no problems. plenty of power and i bought her new for under$5000. awesome on gas too!

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
700 kingquad with mudlite tires!! It will go through anything! and plow your driveway!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.