Author Topic: 8inch mora auger and drill?  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
8inch mora auger and drill?
« on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:22 AM »
Hello, I have a 8 inch mora auger . I was wondering if I can get a adapter for my 18 volt Dewalt drill and use the mora to drill holes in the ice up to 6 inches thick?  Thanks ???

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 8inch mora auger and drill?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:32 AM »
Yes, I got a cheap adapter from Amazon and the 8” mora works great with my mud mixer. Just make sure you put foam or something around the bit in case it comes off otherwise it will sink to the bottom.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:32 AM »
search box top right on here.  more info than you would want to know. lol  but yes you can buy or make one cheap n easy.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:52 AM »
Thank you

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Kovac icemaster adapter.works with the older  screw in handle or the new wingnut moras.i use a 8" mora with drill but with a clam plate but used a icemaster adapter before that.no bulky disk on it either.has a bungie around drill to keep auger from going in the hole if the drill chuck loosens.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Doesn't the bungee get wrapped around the auger? I was looking at the adapter with the disk on it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:54 AM »
Doesn't the bungee get wrapped around the auger? I was looking at the adapter with the disk on it.
the adapter bolts to the auger.then the adapter has a small disc that has a bungie that wraps around the drill.the little disc doesnt spin with the  auger or it would wrap the bungie all over the place.the bungie around the drill is what keeps the whole auger assembly from going down the hole.i think its one of the best adapters made and lots of members use it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:47 AM »
Thank you

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:38 AM »
Hello, I have a 8 inch mora auger . I was wondering if I can get a adapter for my 18 volt Dewalt drill and use the mora to drill holes in the ice up to 6 inches thick?  Thanks ???

If you get a good drill you can go through 24in plus.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:45 AM »
Will my 18 volt drill work up to 6 inches of ice??

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Will my 18 volt drill work up to 6 inches of ice??

Make/model of your drill and what amp hour batteries ? What make/model/size is the auger drill unit ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2020, 11:10 AM »
Dewalt 18 volt, think 3amp. Was going to put a mora 6 or 8 inch blade on it. I just want to use it up to 6 inches of ice . If ice gets thicker I have a jiffy gas auger. Just trying to save some money and use what I have. But if it won't work I won't but the adapter? Thanks

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Dewalt 18 volt, think 3amp. Was going to put a mora 6 or 8 inch blade on it. I just want to use it up to 6 inches of ice . If ice gets thicker I have a jiffy gas auger. Just trying to save some money and use what I have. But if it won't work I won't but the adapter? Thanks

Need to know the exact model for the Dewalt ..they make quite a few ... Battery is a lil weak on amp hours 4ah or better

These makes/model work well for many IS member ..sure you can get away with some one off drills and low ah batteries but performance can sufferer...and epically fail ..more then likely

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Thank you

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Thank you

Dewalt uses UWO ...appox 100 in/lbs equal 100 UWO ..you need approximately 100 in/lbs for every inch of auger diameter ...ie 8" Mora at least 800 in/lbs of torque ..most low end Dewalts  ie picture hanging drills have less the 400 UWO ..

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2021, 02:40 AM »
if your trying to save money make your own!  get some bar stock to fit your auger and drill for pins and grind 3 flats to fit drill chuck.  3 pin holes, 1 for auger and 2 smaller ones to hold the plastic disk(plexiglass or cut from bucket).  the disk is free spinning on shaft. I used small bolts to pin it on.

make sure you only grind the 3 flats as far as needed to fit in chuck.  the first one I broke off drilling into clay earth.  it was only for 3/8 chuck and couldn't take the torque! other than that first glitch, its indestructible now.

OANN the real story

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Thanks

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2021, 09:00 AM »
I've tried that route, the mora tends to wander on the ice before starts cutting so watch out yo I don't hit your boots.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:38 PM »
I've tried that route, the mora tends to wander on the ice before starts cutting so watch out yo I don't hit your boots.

that's a great safty tip!!  go very slow and careful till its down in a hole.  if you gun it from the start you WILL get your foot!  yikes

OANN the real story

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2021, 07:08 PM »

If that is happening. It's one or two things....

1.the starting edge of the blades are dull or starting to dull.
2.you didn't put enough initial down pressure on the áuger to start it.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:59 PM »
My 750# brushless Ryobi handles an 8 inch mora without any trouble. It actually strains a bit more when paired to a 7 inch lazer.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2021, 12:15 AM »
Is that a 18 volt roybi? How many amp battery?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2021, 06:24 AM »
true, the lazers and other heads need more power.  they bite harder to cut faster.

I read a bunch of posts, drill reviews and such before I switched.  I switched everything cordless from craftsman to ridged.  they were getting tired and old. the lifetime warranty was the swing factor.  it claims 1300"lb and I have no doubt it does. lol  ice not so bad to hold but in the garden if you hit a root it will bust ya up!  enough power to hurt ya im saying.  never drilled enough holes to even come close to running out with the 9AH batt.  wont matter what head you use on it, it will turn it.  I use my jiffy 6 or 8.   

OANN the real story

Offline OHeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:00 AM »
As others have mentioned, the Kovac ice master is pretty good and the one I use

http://icemasteradapter.com/

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:13 AM »

Post #36 ..takes a StrikeMaster center point to a Mora auger via tapping out the center

Center punch where you want point. Drill 1/4 pilot hole followed with 5/16 drill tap size. Tap hole with 3/8 hand tap. (Tap/drill set for $8 at Lows or Home Depot)...use washers for spacer to get proper tip height.
 Welded nut is great idea as well.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378717.30

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:22 AM »
Post #36 ..takes a StrikeMaster center point to a Mora auger via tapping out the center

Center punch where you want point. Drill 1/4 pilot hole followed with 5/16 drill tap size. Tap hole with 3/8 hand tap. (Tap/drill set for $8 at Lows or Home Depot)...use washers for spacer to get proper tip height.
 Welded nut is great idea as well.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378717.30

If you have an angle grinder and can weld you can make your own point. I found the Kdrill point design is the most effective point design

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.