Author Topic: 20lb tank too much for single sunflower heater?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline thomasdgs

• IceShanty Rookie
20lb tank too much for single sunflower heater?
« on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Hey all,

Is a 20lb LPG tank overkill for a single burner sunflower heater to be used on day trips? I will be using it to heat my 3 man HUB shelter, with temps around 5F to -15F degrees below freezing.

I am new to ice fishing this year, and pretty much a rookie when it comes to fishing in general. So you can expect a few "dumb" questions this winter.

Thanks,
David.
I am new to ice fishing this year, and pretty much a rookie when it comes to fishing in general. So you can expect a few "dumb" questions this winter.

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 20lb tank too much for single sunflower heater?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Depending on the btu rating of the sunflower heater you have will determine that. My personal experience is., no I would not use a 20# due to the weight and size. I would use a 10 or even a 5 is enough for the day. I would recommend a heater a bit bigger than what you have. Maybe the next size up buddy heater. With your average temperature around 0 as you stated, bigger heater is the way to go for those temps.

Now.....for the days it's 20 or so degrees, your sunflower should do the job just fine.

Hope this helps. :P

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:39 PM »
And ps.......there are no dumb questions when it comes to fishing.

That's why we're all on this site to learn something new.

Also fill in your location. It helps alot.

Fish onn!!!!!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2015, 05:40 PM »
David, please update your profile with your location. Thanks in advance!! Tight lines!!!! ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Depending on the btu rating of the sunflower heater you have will determine that. My personal experience is., no I would not use a 20# due to the weight and size. I would use a 10 or even a 5 is enough for the day. I would recommend a heater a bit bigger than what you have. Maybe the next size up buddy heater. With your average temperature around 0 as you stated, bigger heater is the way to go for those temps.

Now.....for the days it's 20 or so degrees, your sunflower should do the job just fine.

Hope this helps. :P
Actually those sunflower heaters pack a punch.

Mr Heater Sunflower Heater
10,000 BTU/hr.; 12,000 BTU/hr.; 15,000 BTU/hr

Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater
Two heat settings: 4000 & 9000 BTUs

Mr. Heater Hunting Buddy Space Heater
6,000 and 12,000 BTU/hr

Mr. Heater BIG Buddy
4,000, 9,000, and 18,000 BTU/HR

I do agree that going with a smaller tank like a 5 or 10lb tank would be best. If your 3 man hub is insulated then it will take less time to heat up and it will also hold heat better. Also if the outside of the fabric is black and the sun is out then that will also heat up the hub a few degrees.

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2015, 07:18 PM »
It's more than you need for a day trip but if you don't mind the size and weight hauling it out it will work fine. 

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2015, 12:09 PM »
Nope, not too big at all.  I'd rather have the option of turning up the heat to make it warmer than having a smaller heater cranked and struggling to keep up.  When temps get too cold I leave my regular Buddy Heater at home and bring out the Sunflower heater.  The only drawback is the weight of the bigger tank. 

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:58 PM »
i have a little buddy, a big buddy, and a sunflower for options everytime i go.  different temps means different needs.

Offline sdbigeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:32 PM »
I quit using my 20#. was just to heavy and bulky. just put it on a low profile bottle for stove and it should be fine.

Offline Nodakjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:42 PM »
If that's all you have then don't be afraid to take it with. I went for several years with a 20#.  If I go on a weekend trip I still take that with me. And my sunflower has worked in an older uninsulated otter lodge for many years now. I've had that through some bitter cold days and did just fine. Mind you I was dressed well. My single sunflower can be used to cook on also although the only thing I've ever made on it is coffee. I use a 5 lb (I think it is anyway) for day trips now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.