Author Topic: Daiwa spinning reels?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Daiwa spinning reels?
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Hey guys Im looking at ordering three new spinning reels and I was considering going with one of the Daiwas. I have never had one of there spinning reels so just thought I would get some input before I pull the trigger. I don't want to go over $100 each.
 Thanks
  Matt

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
Re: Daiwa spinning reels?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:29 AM »
I use Daiwa level wind reels on my ice fishing poles (the ones that measure line) and they work nice and smooth. I have also used their spinning reels and they are pretty nice too. They are not the most expensive brand but not cheap either.
Come on fish!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:34 AM »
My favorite spinning ice reel is the Abu 400UI, had issues years ago with a Diawa spinning reel for open water and have never used them since...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:38 AM »
Had two Daiwa reels fall apart the first weeks I owned them and never have gone back... All Shimano for me and I don't have problems. From their least expensive to high end...

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:00 PM »
That's all I buy.  A wise tackle shop owner once explained it like this.  A twenty dollar reel is a one year deal.  Use it for a year and throw it away.  It's not worth repairing.  A 100 dollar reel is a 5 year investment.  If you need to repair it, don't put more than 25 dollars into it.

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:46 PM »
I have Shimano Sedonas that are over 20 years old and still work great and have never serviced any of them....

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I have been using Pfluger presidents and they are a nice reel just wondering if there is something nicer out there. I thought about moving up to the supremes but don't know if is worth the extra $35 to do it.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I have heard the new Pflugers are not the same quality of the older ones, never used one so dont know the differences just what a couple friends that use them stated to me...Tough to beat Shimano's, although that Abu 400UI I have comes as close as anything I have tried think they run aroud $45-$50, the Abu is the only Spinning reel left in my arsenal....Gave my Shimano's and 100/300U's to the wife....

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2013, 02:57 PM »
Unfortunately,  Daiwa doesn't offer a 500 size in their high end spinning reels, which are just as good as the Shimano line.
I have a Daiwa Advantage-A in 2000 size which I use for open water panfish, killer reel with no issues for years.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:53 AM »
I used the Daiwa Laguna 500 size last year for Pan Fish and Perch. They worked great, and are still going strong. It's a $40 reel. I used them this weekend in some freezing rain in my hut with no heater and they never froze up.

I put the 1000 size on my Walleye set-ups recently, and this weekend I will finally get to try them out. The drags seemed a little sticky at first, but once warmed up they seemed fine.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline perchbrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:09 AM »
I had two Daiwa UL reels and would never use them again.  I spin trout fish streams a lot, these reels did not hold up to the repeated casting and retrieving.  Not sure the model I had it was a few years ago, think they ran in $30-$40 range.  Pfluger is all I use now, with no issues at all.
BAIT (√) BEER (√) SHANTY (√) FISH (?) STORY (√)

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2013, 01:44 AM »
Shimano!!
Catching Any?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I have some daiwa's and seem to be real good reels but hard to beat shimano

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum