Author Topic: Spud bar  (Read 1015 times)

Offline ajb05854

• IceShanty Rookie
Spud bar
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:39 PM »
What weight do you recommend?  Also, any recommendations on the tip design? 

I'm going to build one over the holidays and want to make it nice.  I tend to over engineer things and will have access to quite a machine shop.  I'm going all stainless with a threaded junction in the middle.  I'm aware of galling issues.  I also realize a piece of thick rebar would work, but what fun is that?  Thanks!

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
Re: Spud bar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Mine weighs 15 lbs and another is about 25 the 25 lb'er stays in my permy while my lighter one goes everywhere. The heavier the better as long as it can be lifted with regular ease at a full arms length.
go hard or go home

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 05:21 PM »
What weight do you recommend?  Also, any recommendations on the tip design? 

I'm going to build one over the holidays and want to make it nice.  I tend to over engineer things and will have access to quite a machine shop.  I'm going all stainless with a threaded junction in the middle.  I'm aware of galling issues.  I also realize a piece of thick rebar would work, but what fun is that?  Thanks!

Size and weight depend on the intended use.    A light weight 7 to 9 pounds for walking on first ice, for me saves the back. For a frozen-in hard side, maybe a boxcar moving bar may be to small, ha.     My preferred tip configuration is "stair-stepped-notched"  1/2" on the run & rise, made from a 2" automotive flat spring.  You'll destroy the temper/hardness by cutting those notches with a torch and watch the grinder when sharpening the edges.  The top end "Tee" has been handy when a bit of force is needed and 1/2" diameter stock fits my gloved hand well. For safety, let it be no more than 1/2" on either side of your closed fist, then round the ends. It won't hurt as much if your face makes contact.    ;)2
There's a bit more, mainly keep it off the bottom, under the hole.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Make sure to put a safety rope on it. That way if it goes through the ice it would be saved because a magnet obviously wont pick it up.

Paul

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Make sure to put a safety rope on it. That way if it goes through the ice it would be saved because a magnet obviously wont pick it up.

Paul

Didja read the last line, of the post above yours, Paul ?     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :cookoo:

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Well he said he was gonna use stainless steel and I read once where a guy lost his because of a lack of safety rope and knowing I would scream profanity if I lost my new stainless spud so I added the only advice I could come up with.

Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.