Author Topic: 13 Fishing Teardrop review  (Read 8026 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
13 Fishing Teardrop review
« on: Oct 31, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Well 13 Fishing finally came out with a reel that I have been waiting for the Teardrop. I always wanted to try a fly reel for the no line twist but did not like everything that went along with a normal fly reel. The Teardrop is just right IMO. You can drop a small jig very quickly and reel it up lighting fast as well. I have not had the chance yet to catch a fish so I have no idea yet on the drag. The reel is super smooth and has the feel that of a expensive open water baitcaster. The reels come in RH or LH so it will fit which ever had u use. You can NOT change a LH to a RH though. I have my three on TBROS rods. Two power noodles and a trip wire. All three rods are 27" long and have reel seats. The reels fit really nice in the plam of your hand while jigging. I hold my setups from the under side of the pole so that is where I am coming from when I say they fit in the plam of your hand nicely. If you have any questions just let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Tight Lines
Matt

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 13 Fishing Teardrop review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Ordered a LH teardrop today; almost thought they'd be out as w/ any hot icin' item... Will also post a review soon
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Ordered a LH teardrop today; almost thought they'd be out as w/ any hot icin' item... Will also post a review soon

Ordered one myself...sometime this coming season, we gotta meet up.  We are some of the few in MA that appreciate the pannies

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:28 AM »
I cant get over the price of that thing.

Hope they work out for you guys.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I cant get over the price of that thing.

Hope they work out for you guys.
You just divide the cost by the actual fish caught and then Cry in your bucket. It's all good.
<===Lefty===

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Everybody I talk to says The same thing that they cost to much. Well I have $230 in setups and people think that's crazy but if I said hi had that much in an open water rod and reel they would think nothing of it. Its all in what u love to do.
Matt

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Exactly, i know guys that throw big swimbaits that cost more than this reel.   I don't open water fish more than 2-3 times a year.  i ice fish pretty much 3-4 times a week when i can.  All my money goes into ice gear because i will use it more.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I feelings exactly!

quote author=jeepsw1 link=topic=261788.msg2691577#msg2691577 date=1383488583]
Exactly, i know guys that throw big swimbaits that cost more than this reel.   I don't open water fish more than 2-3 times a year.  i ice fish pretty much 3-4 times a week when i can.  All my money goes into ice gear because i will use it more.
[/quote]

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:32 AM »
I dont think the price is out of line as someone who fishes alot.... Some of my muskie reels cost $500 and we dont have just 1 set up....I have about $1800 in 6 muskie reels and thats with getting discounts on them....

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I plan on using it on my open water Falcon UL rod also  ;D

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2013, 06:23 AM »
I went with the left hand retrieve, so it fishes more like a spinning reel. I gotta so so far I love this thing.  reels nice and smooth, seems like a good drag.  I just can't wait to put it to the test on the water.  I can see an open water application for drop shoting as well.  Standing in my basement, i've been dropping 1/32oz jigs pretty well with no backlash.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:06 AM »

I couldn't find out how many inches of line it takes in per revolution [curios], I really like my 6061 ,

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:09 AM »
74redone, mine will drop a small ice jig but it's not that fast. Same thing with a small spoon.  Bigger spoons/lures I have no problem. I found that adjusting the knobs don't help one bit either. I can take the knob off and it still falls at the same speed. The drag doesn't seem all that smooth either. I've caught fish on mine already. Used it over the side of my boat. Overall, I don't think I could say this reel is "smooth." 120 dollars I think is quite a bit for this reel. A little overpriced. A few more bearings wouldn't hurt. I look forward to using it this season giving it the real test.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:12 AM »
I filled mine with a whole spool of p-line ice line. There was room for plenty more line. Up against a tape measure, I got 19 inches per revolution.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:18 AM »

thanks Philly

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Is it faster than your spinning reel? Is the jig you are useing tungsten? If it faster or close to your spinning reel drop speed then you are ahead of the game because there will be no line twist. I have not had mine out yet to try out the drag so I can not say if it is smooth or not. I have three of these reels so I will be able to tell how each does with different setups if we would just get some ice.

74redone, mine will drop a small ice jig but it's not that fast. Same thing with a small spoon.  Bigger spoons/lures I have no problem. I found that adjusting the knobs don't help one bit either. I can take the knob off and it still falls at the same speed. The drag doesn't seem all that smooth either. I've caught fish on mine already. Used it over the side of my boat. Overall, I don't think I could say this reel is "smooth." 120 dollars I think is quite a bit for this reel. A little overpriced. A few more bearings wouldn't hurt. I look forward to using it this season giving it the real test.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2013, 05:12 PM »
I found that adjusting the knobs don't help one bit either. I can take the knob off and it still falls at the same speed. The drag doesn't seem all that smooth either.

Hmm-- I found the drop knob highly adjustable and could vary drop speeds as easily as any baitcaster. The drag seemed smooth. My main gripe is it's size--wish it was a bit smaller/lighter.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Hmm-- I found the drop knob highly adjustable and could vary drop speeds as easily as any baitcaster. The drag seemed smooth. My main gripe is it's size--wish it was a bit smaller/lighter.
Maybe I got a lemon then. I can tighten my drop knob until the jig doesn't fall but if I loosen it up until it starts to fall, it falls at the same speed with the knob removed.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Overall I like the reel...will definitely know when get it on the ice.  I tore mine apart to check it and regressed/oiled with quantum hot sauce, even greased the drag washer which helped its smoothness.  It appears it will take a decent sized lure of at least 1/4oz to get much speed on the drop.  If its anything like other baitcasters I've used vertically one can rip up than drop than rip up so on n so forth to expedite it. 
]

Offline coreyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Has anyone wondered what happens when water gets into the spool and freezes solid? I like the look of it but I am worried that the spool will freeze up on it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Has anyone wondered what happens when water gets into the spool and freezes solid? I like the look of it but I am worried that the spool will freeze up on it.
I just got two of them with rods.  I gave that idea some thought but then dismissed it; since I fish inside my thermal Otter where it's T-shirt weather most of the time. @)  Seriously, what do you do with your open faced reels that get wet and freeze?  Rip the line out, is what I do.  I'm going to find out this winter though.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2013, 01:17 PM »
  Seriously, what do you do with your open faced reels that get wet and freeze?

I start a small fire with 1$ bills to thaw it out, and its still cheaper than one of those  teardrops :P

Just kiddin man, hope those reels work for yah, if anything else, they look cool.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:59 AM »
these are on sale at iceshanties sponsor fishusa for 90 bucks if you want any more of them last i checked
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/13-Fishing-Teardrop-Inline-Ice-Reel?utm_source=flyer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=flyer2014-2-11

i'm sticking to open face after trying ec in-line
never cared for level line reels for casting either

@ Bob Smith
welcome to the shanty!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:23 AM »
I ended up getting one for $80 and I have to say it has been a great reel.

I spooled it up with 6# fluoro and have had no issues with the spool freezing up.

It has handled LM Bass over 5lbs. And drops even my smallest jigs with ease. I like being able to adjust the drop speed for those days the fish are hitting on the drop.

Line twist is nearly zero. I have the main line tied to a small ball bearing swivel, and then a leader from the swivel to the jig. This is to combat the line twist created from working the jig.

My only negative is there is no sound when the fish is taking line. Its so smooth and quiet I have found myself looking at the spool sometimes to see if its taking line.

Here are a couple I got this year on it using the Chubby Darter:

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Looks cool and I hope it works for you guys. I'll stick with my trusty Zebco UL4 Classics. Silky smooth drag, no line twist and none of the issues that can happen to spinning reels like reeling in loops when flipping the bail over. Hard to find but easy to maintain. I have 3 that are over ten years old and still work like new. Just got 2 more on ebay and am looking for a couple more for my son. Have caught some real nice LMB and a few big cats and pike and drag performed flawlessly. 2 and 4 lb. line.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:28 PM »
As far as I can tell, BaitBucket is the only user on IS that has not had his Teardrop freeze.

The issues are not limited to LINE FREEZE.  If used in sub-freezing temperatures, the drags, gearing, and spool release seize.

Do another search on IS.  There are several reviews.  Many owners, including me, have had issues.

I can only recommend the reel if it is used exclusively in a well-heated shelter.  The reels are useless outside and IMO are too one-dimensional for serious ice fishing.

That said, under the right conditions, the inverted design is slick.  13 Fishing just needs to refine the mechanicals for reliability.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:13 PM »
As far as I can tell, BaitBucket is the only user on IS that has not had his Teardrop freeze.

The issues are not limited to LINE FREEZE.  If used in sub-freezing temperatures, the drags, gearing, and spool release seize.

Do another search on IS.  There are several reviews.  Many owners, including me, have had issues.

I can only recommend the reel if it is used exclusively in a well-heated shelter.  The reels are useless outside and IMO are too one-dimensional for serious ice fishing.

That said, under the right conditions, the inverted design is slick.  13 Fishing just needs to refine the mechanicals for reliability.

Ohhh Im curious if it has something to do with the factory oil/grease? The first thing I do with any new real is a complete teardown, derease, and re-oil/re-grease using Quantum Hot Sauce Oil/Grease.

I have had mine out in sub zero temps, while jigging out in the open. No issues with it freezing up.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Baitbucket, how did you reel in those bass? I can't even reel in a big panfish without the reel slipping. I can crank and crank but it doesn't retrieve the line. The drag is so rough that I have to keep it loose. If I tighten it one more click, it is too tight and the line breaks. Just curious how yours has performed on a big bass? I have a hard time reeling in a keeper gill or yellow bass.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Im going to have to chalk it up to removing al the old oil and grease and regreasing/oiling.

I have had zero issues with the drag, and thats only 2 bass. I probably have caught over 20 in the 1-5.5lb range.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.