Author Topic: ? on altering fishing Sled  (Read 1285 times)

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
? on altering fishing Sled
« on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Is ok to drill 2 holes for ice anchors on the bottom of an Otter pull sled, or will it ruin the intergrity of the plastic mold. I was just thinking that on those windy days that it would be nice to have some way to secure the sled to the ice.

Also would this allow snow and ice to make it in the sled when pulling it behind a snowmobile 

Thanks for the input, this sight is addicting, have read alot of posts on here in the past few weeks, to bad the temps had to spike
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ? on altering fishing Sled
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:58 AM »
Drill them on the side wall of the sled and attach eye bolts. Then you can attach rope to the eye bolts and anchor. You don't want holes in the bottom of your sled, it'll get snow, water and slush every where.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:04 AM »
Thanks, I was suspect of that. Didnt think of the eye bolts though, that should work
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Follow up question - If you attach eye bolts to the sled. they are going to have to stick out a good distance from the sled, to allow you to screw in the anchors. Wont this create alot of drag on the outside of the sled.

The only way i could see it working would be to put the anchors on the rear of the sled. In the end not really providing a good angle to anchor the sled from. I would like to place the back of the shanty into the wind and anchor from there to create a stronger anchor point.  ???

Offline sdjiggerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:25 AM »
instead of eye bolts, i just drilled holes and tied a knot in the end of the rope inside the sled, added a washer so it wouldn't pull through. Made two ropes long enough to hook to each other across the back while pulling the sled across the lake. when windy, unhook them from each other and attach to your anchors with carabiner clips. don't have a picture handy but i can get one if you want.
Jig 'em up!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I did the same thing as jiggerman and conned a local telephone co. employee out of a couple 4" plastic washers used in splice cases. When I move from place to place I pull the ropes inside the tub for the ride.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:30 AM »
I like jigger and ice dawg's idea better than the eye bolts. Smart thinkin boys.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2012, 03:18 PM »
I put eyebolts on the sides in the 4 corners of my sled. Then I bought the clam anchor straps. I put caribiner hooks on one of the clam D-rings on each strap. That way I can unhook them easily.

jbird68

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2012, 07:38 AM »
I used the Clam anchor strap kit myself and mounted them on the front and back sled lips.  There is a short section of webbing with a female buckle on it that stays mounted to the sled (used a machine screw, washers and nuts).  There is a longer section of web with a male buckle on one end and a sewn in metal D-ring on the other that clips in when ready to anchor up and then D-ring slips onto top of your anchor.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.