Author Topic: 4 year old Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress  (Read 5586 times)

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
4 year old Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress
« on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:52 PM »
I have a 4 year old barely used Lazer Mag Xpress with the Tecumseh 2.0hp engine. It ran well the first few times I used it and ever since, it's been nothing but a major pain in my butt.

It is hard to start. It will not start while choked. The choke has to be on RUN and even then, it will take 50 pulls. Then it idles really low and will bog/shut off if you touch the throttle. If I leave it alone while it idles low, majority of the time it will just shut off on it's own.

It's done this since the 3rd time I used it. I've since drained the gas and tucked it away in storage while I used my buddies awesome Jiffy. I no longer have access to his auger and need to get mine running.

I took it out of storage today, filled it with it's proper mix with premium fuel and it's the same story....

Any ideas?
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 4 year old Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Try a new plug, non ethenal gas with either Opti2 or AmsOil Saber Pro mixed at 80:1..... If that doesn't help get a new carb for it......

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Hi if the plug and new gas don't work check there sight out . they sell carburetor rebuild kits for them quite cheep less than $50.00 also you might want to replace the fuel filter. It sounds like it's not getting enough gas and you could turn the idle screw up just a little to. Good luck with it.
Life's to short live it as if you don't have tomarrow.

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:56 AM »
I would not be shocked at all if the idle screw got knocked around. I forgot to mention that the composite handle broke on the last trip it ran well. My buddy dropped it and broke the handle. Strikemaster sent me a replacement handle for free, which was great and I was willing to pay. However the handle diameter is smaller and it rocks in the frame a bit. I wonder if riding in the jet sled, replacing the handle, etc if the idle screw got bumped?
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Idle screw very well could have been tweeked during your mishap/repairs.  If worse comes to worse, I would take it in to a small engine shop, preferably one familiar with Tecumseh motors.  THey should be able to diagnose the issue pretty quick.  My thought is something about the fuel, too.  Sounds like the motor is starving for fuel.  Did it start running bad before or after your buddy dropped it?

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I want to avoid bringing it to a shop, main reason being they claim they are 3 weeks out and a $75 minimum just to diagnose.

If I can keep it running, it runs fine, but getting it to idle is the major problem. And yes, it ran perfect until it was dropped and I had to replace the handle.

Does anyone know how much turns out the idle screw needs to be from seating?

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Just turn the screw in till it idles when running. Or you can turn it in a 1/4 turn than start it if it didnt stay running turn it  another 1/4 and repeat till it stays running. hope this helps

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:03 PM »
canthookit PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you a tech manual for the Tecumseh TC series 2 stroke engines. You should be able to figure things out by looking at the manual.

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Just turn the screw in till it idles when running. Or you can turn it in a 1/4 turn than start it if it didnt stay running turn it  another 1/4 and repeat till it stays running. hope this helps

I could do this but I'm not a fan of tweaking adjustment needles until I have the stock specs to baseline from.

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:31 PM »
Dkfry I got your e-mail, thanks a ton! I appreciate it.

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2012, 02:21 PM »
 strikemaster 1-763-263-8999

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Dkfry I got your e-mail, thanks a ton! I appreciate it.

No problem, hope it helps.

The stock carburetor does not have any high or low speed needles that are adjustable. It uses a fixed jet carburetor. The only adjustment you have is the idle screw and the throttle linkage adjusting screw. The idle screw right by the carburetor is the only thing you want to adjust.

Here is thread that shows pics of the throttle linkage adjuster and where the screw is. Mine broke last season so I made a new one. Check to make sure yours is not broken.(If your Strikemaster even has this type of linkage)
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=188062.msg1829073#msg1829073

I have a Jiffy with the same engine you have which I work on and repair myself. If you have any questions let me know.

Offline Mowser4104

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:45 PM »
How did you make out?

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:48 AM »
When you pull it to try to start and it just dies after starting,try giving it a little gas with the trottle on the next couple pulls.It's the only way mine will start but starts this way after 3 or 4 pulls...

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:10 AM »
sounds to me like you have a dirty carb. If as stated there are no adjustmant needles to play with then something isnt right internally. Sounds to me like shes going to have to be opened up. If you want to consider having it fixed....ill do it for free. you just have to get it here.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:17 AM »
The gas / air mixture is off , Strikemaster has in house thechs  give them a call and they can give you the proper adjustments over the phone .
This is quite common in small engines when they've been used a little and they wear in a little .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.