Author Topic: Lowrance Outback GPS  (Read 691 times)

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lowrance Outback GPS
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Was wondering if anyone uses this GPS for ice fishing? I'm considering getting this GPS because it's compatible with Navionics Hot Maps, and it seems reasonable in price. I need to pruchase one compatible with Navionics. Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.  ???

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance Outback GPS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 01:47 AM »
.....I'm thinking of one too and would like the same information.....maybe post this in general.....
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:08 AM »
I am pretty sure that there are some issues with some of the Lowrance handhelds and the Navionics chips. Do yourself a big favor and try it out with a Navionics chip before you buy it. I know someone who bought the Endura to use with the Navionics chart but it freezes and won't navigate with the Navionics chart. They claim that it is compatable but it's not. I have a discontinued Lowrance XOG and a new Delorme PN-40 and they both work with the Navionics chips.
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:19 AM »
Thanks Mudslide, that helped alot. I was looking at a DeLorme too, think I'll go with that. I keep checking around for the XOG, but not having much luck finding one

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:34 PM »
BUY A GARMIN!!!

Was that clear enough?  ;D

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:50 PM »
BUY A GARMIN!!!

Not!  Every model has the buttons in a new and different combination of locations... always in the wrong spot.  On the side, above the screen.  Never where they belong.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline muskydg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:58 PM »
I just recently bought a Lowrance safari and you cannot use the Navionics chip and have it overlay the map. Just got off the phone with Lowrance and they say it is Navionics that is the cause of this. They said they were negotiating with Navionics to correct this problem. Had I known, i wouldn't have spent the money for the chip. Pain in the butt to have to keep switching maps for your contours and then changing screens to see where you have been.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.