Author Topic: gas or electric? which brand?  (Read 687 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
gas or electric? which brand?
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:59 PM »
 I want to get a new power auger but I am not sure if I want to go electric or gas. I also dont know which brand is the best in the electric and which brand is the most reliable in gas. I know Jiffy is a good brand but heavy. I only need a 6" or 7" hole. Thanks for the info!
  Matt

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: gas or electric? which brand?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:29 AM »
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:04 PM »
This all depends what you want from an auger. I chose the Nils for it's the lightest, reliable, long lasting, well proven, and drills a quick hole and should last me the rest of my ice career, hopefully another 30 years. Strikemaster and Jiffy have new unproven longevity engines now not a chance I was willing to take on an expensive investment. Look at all the auger problem posts and see how many refer to the Nils and search want adds for used augers for sale, betting you wont find many Nils,you will find every age of Jiffy and Stikemaster though.  Electric isn't an option for me don't want the hassle of having to charge all the time or having battrys die when I need more holes, and the cost of replacing them every few years.

Offline onemoreperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:09 PM »
search want adds for used augers for sale, betting you wont find many Nils,you will find every age of Jiffy and Stikemaster though. 

jmo. they all make a nice product, you'll learn more on the lake than the internet, don't be shy and ask other fishermen. as for the want ads, theres way, way more jiffy's and strikemasters out there, common sense says you'll also find more of them for sale... the tanaka powerhead is great, we have a TAS auger from when i was a kid that still works just fine... 30 plus years later..but i would use the strikemaster first if they are laying side by side.  to each his own, and good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.