Author Topic: Acquired some nice skis to build sled  (Read 4897 times)

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
Acquired some nice skis to build sled
« on: Sep 14, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I bought these skis for $20 on CL yesterday!  They are 46" long and 6 1/2" tall, and really lightweight.  I am pretty excited, I am going to build a sled that can haul some gear and include some type of seat for myself.  It's nice to have a portable, but on those days that are in the 20's and the wind's not bad....nothing better than hole hopping and being light and mobile.  I fish a few lakes that don't have an access, this would be much easier than pulling my flip over through the reeds too.  I have a good idea of what to do thanks to all the other posts here.  I think I'm going to include an area for a lantern, similar to the lantern boxes that michianafisherman posted pictures of, I really like those.  We'll see if I can somehow make that happen.  It would be nice to have at least some sort of heat for my hands, those pocket warmers get expensive.  I'll post pics of the building process once I get going.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Acquired some nice skis to build sled
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Nice buy! I've been looking for something like that to build myself a sled for my pull over. Think I'm going to have to use an old pair of skis. Those look much better than skis though.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:24 PM »
What are those skies from?  they look like aluminum.  Cool
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:22 AM »
I think the guy had them for some type of sled, there are holes already drilled that I will be using for mounting too.  He thought they would work great for an ice fishing sled, he's right!  They are aluminum, really light weight.  I went to Cabela's today and found a nice camo boat seat and swivel bracket in the bargain cave for about $40, perfect for the sled and exactly why I went there!  All that was missing was the hardware, so another buck or two and I'm set for that.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:52 AM »
Funny, I just came across this ice shack on CL and it has the same ski's mounted to it!  That was my original idea when I built my 4x8, but it turned into more of a light weight permanent instead.

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2010, 06:05 AM »
Good score Jason !  :thumbsup: Have you seen the small lantern sleds that Michiana has, they are really functional and pretty sharp looking ! There's a lot of good sled ideas on that thread !

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Good score Jason !  :thumbsup: Have you seen the small lantern sleds that Michiana has, they are really functional and pretty sharp looking ! There's a lot of good sled ideas on that thread !

I did see that thread and wanted to incorporate that into my sled design.  Here's what I came up with so far, I ran out of screws.  It is made of 1/4" waferboard and 2x2 for rigidity.  The sled is 2'x4', the higher part is 2' and lower part 1'.  The lower part is where my boat seat will be mounted.  The higher part will have a hinged top for access inside.  The front of the sled will have a door to slide gear in and out.  The square hole is where the lantern will be, just to my right.  Hopefully it will produce enough light outward.  I saved the cutout and will just make a door or something of not.  The section in between the two levels will have slots for heat to escape and warm me up.  A rod holder and beverage holder will be added to the side as well.  The other side will house hangers for my hand auger.  Not too sure about the power auger yet, still undetermined if it will have a spot because this is supposed to be 'lightweight'.  Inside will house my lantern/case, rod/tip up bag, Marcum, small cooler, and a 5 gal. pail for the fishies.  My sunflower heater/smaller propane tank will fit too should I really need it inside the pail.

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Looking good buddy ! Good idea with the drawer under the seat !

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:27 AM »
I almost am completed with the sled.  It just needs some finishing touches and some paint.  I can fit everything I need with some room to spare.  The hand auger fits inside, which is nice.  My power auger can ride on top, with the power head on the high part.  I have points to which I can bungee to keep it secure.  I found the neat handle for the drawer in a 'junk' box I had from somewhere, adds a nice touch.  The seat is a little high but I think once I get my boots on and get it on the lake with snow/ice it won't be a big deal.  Another good deal about it is I can use it as a chest to store my gear in during the off season, freeing up a lot of room on the shelves in the garage.  This sled cost about $55 to make!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:45 AM »
i have a pair just like them they work greattt

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:53 AM »
Looks pretty compact and fairly light. Looks good. Should be easy to pull with those skis too. My only concern would be if the wafer board isn't under a shelter, how well is it going to hold up to rain, snow, slush, etc? Looks like it was a pretty easy and fairly inexpensive build though, so I guess if it only lasts a couple years you could probably just build it again. The skis should hold up at least that long  :).

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Where does the lantern get its air? How does the heat get out?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:03 PM »
I am cutting in slots on the part next to the seat, so heat can escape and such.  The top can be propped open slightly too, and I have hangers inside for gloves, hat, and misc. tools.  This will be stored in my shed, so the only weather it sees will be snow, and maybe the occasional sleet on the ice.  It won't be a big deal as paint will take care of that.  Even if there is a problem, the board was less than $15 and it took less than a few hours to make.  The heaviest thing that goes inside is the 11lb propane tank should I take it out, other than that my Marcum and lantern.  I framed it up under the seat so that won't be an issue either.     

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Drill a few holes near the bottom on the side to get a little air. Not too many two or three will do. The lantern will work better and put out more heat.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I'm looking forward to using it this year, should be quite functional.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2010, 05:22 AM »
I like to straddle the boxes I have. Then I can unzip my coat and let the heat come up and keep me warm. With the seat back you have this would be difficult. You will like the nice padded seat with the place to lean back. Your design will work and you won't have to step over the box to sit on it. If you could figure a way to get the heat off the lantern up into your coat it would help you fish some extreme days in comfort.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I wasn't real happy with how the sled turned out.  I had some time today while listening to the Vikings game on the radio in the garage, and made some modifications.  I scrapped the lantern idea, it just wasn't going to work.  I need a more narrow box like what michianafisherman has.  Instead I will just place my lantern on the ice, and my sunflower heater fits perfect in the back to keep me PLENTY warm.  It's far enough away that I won't burn my coat, like always just need to be careful.  My bait bucket now will sit to my right in the back too, easy access.  The front has a door that will double as a shelf, to hold small jars of Gulp! Alive and my beverage of choice.  I have a bucket rod holder that fits perfect over the edge too.  Everything fits perfect, the Marcum, hand or power auger, rod bag, bait bucket, lantern, sunflower heater, and a fish bucket.  I really like this now, much more easy to get into the truck, easier access to gear, and lighter to pull.

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2010, 03:16 PM »
That will get it done buddy, Good job !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.