The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shelburne and Proctor Shoal  (Read 7135 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shelburne and Proctor Shoal
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Walking out from Oakledge Park or Red Rocks Park?
Oakledge

Offline Dickeymodo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Just got done fishing out there. Hooked up with a big lakwe, saw him through the hole, then he shook loose. Oh well. Nice day.

Offline pikeslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Was out yesterday by Red Rock Point and came back empty handed. Had one follow on the flasher and one flag which was just a drag and drop and that was by shore. I'm debating on trying again, but at another hump nearby.

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Thinking of going and poking around out there this afternoon, anyone else
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:57 AM »
I'm tempted but looks a bit windy for my taste

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:44 PM »
any vehicles out there yet?
Fish on

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:03 AM »

Highly doubt that will happen this year, only 8” ice, strong currents and high in the sky sun with above freezing temps coming, that ice won’t be safe to even walk on for much longer.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2019, 06:18 AM »

What Mudchuck said. Only vehicles I have seen out there have been people on mountain bikes.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2019, 07:35 AM »
Any snow on the ice? Probably going to walk out there tomorrow morning.

Offline Profish169

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Could you drive a snowmobile out to dundar rock from the shelburne boat launch

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Could you drive a snowmobile out to dundar rock from the shelburne boat launch
You would certainly be the first this year.

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Any snow on the ice? Probably going to walk out there tomorrow morning.

Maybe an inch or two at the most... just enough so the fish can't see you and all this sunlight is reflecting off the snow

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:09 PM »
You would certainly be the first this year.

8” thick over the proctor 3 humps I fished last Sunday, atvs and sled tracks all over so I’d assume the ice is good for a sled...also to & from past juniper and people actually cross country skis to NY & Burlington and back...

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:51 PM »
I saw a pair of fat tire bikes go from Burlington out toward Juniper today. 

Offline macado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:58 PM »
It was about 9-10" out by Red Rock Point near mouth of Shelburne Bay.  I walked out from Red Rock Park.   Didn't see any cars but plenty of ATV tracks.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Fished from 7 to 11 on proctor. Landed a 22”, 25” and 28”. Lost another decent one at the hole. Lots of chases. Not that many people out. Beautiful morning.

Offline Dickeymodo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Was out at Proctor Shoal today. 30 tip-ups and a lot of jigging produced one lost laker on a tip-up and not much else. Gorgeous weather though, so we didn't mind shooting the crap and enjoying it.

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Has anyone crossed to the shoal from Oakledge today or yesterday? Planning on going tomorrow morning one more time before this warmup

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:36 PM »
Just got back from the shoal. Plenty of ice still, hasn't changed since Saturday. Landed a 19", 26" and 28.5". Had some other chases and big marks but they weren't as aggressive as this past weekend. I talked to the only other guy out there and he had caught four. Get it while the gettins good!

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:32 PM »
I wonder how long the ice will hold out once the 50+ degree weather hits us??   I’m hoping to make the trip after some lakers this weekend...

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:56 AM »
Was thinking of heading out from Oakledge tomorrow. But not excited about this snow and warmer temps. Anybody make it out there today?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:23 AM »
That ice will go FAST. I fished somewhere yesterday with 16" of ice and it was starting to honeycomb. The Lazer chewed it up like butter. Cracks were starting to open up as well.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:44 AM »
That ice will go FAST. I fished somewhere yesterday with 16" of ice and it was starting to honeycomb. The Lazer chewed it up like butter. Cracks were starting to open up as well.

Yes indeed, I saw a crack at Eagle Mtn. that was that was pretty stable and could navigate around it just a few days ago now starting sagging and has open water in it and getting sketchy to navigate around the end towards shore as the ice is looking like it's starting to heave from the end toward shore and has a couple smaller cracks developing.
My lazer also was going thru the 22" pretty easy on the holes I punched for tipups yesterday afternoon at that area too.

Near 60's by tomorrow into Saturday, so we all need to be careful from this point forward. Bringing planks & hoofing it probably after this weekend unless we get another cold snap...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Was out off oakledge yesterday afternoon. There's 10 inches of very hard ice all around. Honeycombing mainly is caused by the strong sun this time of year. There's a fresh inch or two of snow on the ice today, which should protect it from any sun today, but I expect it will melt by tomorrow (which looks mostly cloudy with showers). As long as we don't get a ton of sun tomorrow then it's likely the ice will remain safe until Saturday, when temps are expected to cool off again. See computer model temp graph for Burlington: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kbtv

Regardless, always good advice to be cautious on the ice this time of the year.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Thanks, wish I had gotten out there today. Feel like it just isn't a good idea tomorrow with the snow cover and cracks opening up. I went through 2 years ago in pretty much this same scenario. Not looking to repeat that. Will probably head to safer ice that I know better.

Keep the spuds, spikes, and boards handy guys.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Thanks, wish I had gotten out there today. Feel like it just isn't a good idea tomorrow with the snow cover and cracks opening up. I went through 2 years ago in pretty much this same scenario. Not looking to repeat that. Will probably head to safer ice that I know better.

Keep the spuds, spikes, and boards handy guys.

The only crack out there right now is close to shore at oakledge, and it's only about 2 inches wide. I would give it a go tomorrow, but I understand your hesitance!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:55 AM »
The only crack out there right now is close to shore at oakledge, and it's only about 2 inches wide. I would give it a go tomorrow, but I understand your hesitance!

Just to clarify, the crack I mentioned is near Eagle Mountain between the Sandbar SP and Van Everest Access points. I was just responding to what MattVT posted.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:17 PM »
Well I left work early today and made it out to a different walk-able spot on Champlain and holy cow it was one of the best laker days I have ever had flags wouldn't stay down all afternoon/evening. The ice was still in great shape. Might try to make it out to Oak Ledge tomorrow to see if the action keeps up.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #58 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:51 PM »
I fished Proctor Shoal today for the first time. There was about an inch of fresh snow on my walk out, but that was quickly reduced to large puddles of water by 2 pm. 10 inches of seemingly hard black ice. I had two chasers that bit, but my drag was too loose. Wasn't able to get a laker topside, but I'm a newbie when it comes to Champlain Lakers. Good luck to all who are willing to give it a try this weekend. Hope you have more success than I did!  :P  :tipup:
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:06 PM »
I may have lost a pair of gloves near the shore at Oakledge, or on a boulder right near the access on Thursday. I couldn't find them when I got home, but I know I had them coming off the ice. I may have left them on a boulder when I took off my spikes. Bit of a stretch, but if anyone finds some cabelas camo insulated gloves, please let me know!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.