The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shelburne and Proctor Shoal  (Read 7130 times)

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shelburne and Proctor Shoal
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Has anyone been out there?

I'd like to walk out there but I'm nervous about going solo.

Im thinking about Thursday or Friday.

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shelburne and Proctor Shoal
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:17 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Niceeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:18 AM »
I am working on the west side of the point over by queneska and the ice has been locked up in there for like two weeks. I haven’t seen anyone out there yet but the north wind the last few days didn’t seem to bother it. I would think it’s walkable but I don’t know for sure.  Let me know if you go I will be at work both days and have been itching to run tipups out there targeting lakers. 

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:19 AM »
I drove out to the point via the rd around to the shipyard, its solid to Juniper on broadlake side.  Someone was driving along the left side out towards the shipyard on the ice with a vehicle yesterday.  Im not sure where they came from but I went out and drilled a hole on the drop off by boat launch and my kdrill hit ground after 2 plus feet of ice.  That said I know oakledge/shoal area isn't 2 feet.  I work downtown and that area just locked up a couple weeks ago.  I would be willing to meet up with you and check that area with you if you want.  I have been monitoring it all winter.  DM me.

-B

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I'd also bee interested in how the ice conditions are as I'm looking to get out somewhere close by after work and jig lakers before sunset.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Also super interested! Would love to head there Saturday if anyone has a report!

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:47 PM »
I may go check tomorrow afternoon, and will keep everyone posted. Anyone know of a nearby access to Shelburne point/shoal? May just check over by red rocks.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:09 PM »
I have accessed from Oakledge in past years. Redrocks is a long hike to the ice and not much closer to the shoal. Wish I was going to be in town this weekend, looks like you guys might be able to fish out there.

I may go check tomorrow afternoon, and will keep everyone posted. Anyone know of a nearby access to Shelburne point/shoal? May just check over by red rocks.

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2019, 09:14 PM »
I have accessed from Oakledge in past years. Redrocks is a long hike to the ice and not much closer to the shoal. Wish I was going to be in town this weekend, looks like you guys might be able to fish out there.

I've been waiting years to fish out there! Hope its safe!

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:02 AM »
I can't imagine if the insane wind we had didnt break it all up that its not every bit of 6-8 inches of ice. Especially with the cold we have had the last 2 weeks. Only 2 days above freezing, and not much snow (lots of blowing) I bet its PRIME!

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Didn't walk to the shoal, but there was 7-9" everywhere i drilled off Red Rock Point!

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Nice work, DirtyDan!  Thanks !  I was planning to head out there tomorrow morning, but work is ruining my plan.

Offline macado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:55 PM »
I'm looking to head out to mouth of Shelburne Bay near Red Rock Point.   Have people been driving small trucks out there?    Last report above said 7-9" thick but it also looks like we're getting a week of cold weather.

https://imgur.com/8EN1gBT

Thoughts? I'm not actually ice fishing but ice diving.  :-) Thinking of heading up next Friday to scout out options.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:46 AM »
May be heading out from Oakledge tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up PM me

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:51 AM »

If I cannot get anyone to go perch fishing in the morning with me, I might go out there to jig lakers or smelt.

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:53 AM »
I'm looking to head out to mouth of Shelburne Bay near Red Rock Point.   Have people been driving small trucks out there?    Last report above said 7-9" thick but it also looks like we're getting a week of cold weather.

https://imgur.com/8EN1gBT

Thoughts? I'm not actually ice fishing but ice diving.  :-) Thinking of heading up next Friday to scout out options.

Not sure about the bay, but don't drive anywhere near the mouth... unless you hate your car! We've been driving on Malletts Bay for at least a month, so I'd head there.

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:53 AM »
We may be doing the same

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:01 AM »
We may be doing the same
same here - party at the shoals man!  everybody gets laid
Fish on

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:02 AM »
We will be getting there a little late but will see you all out there tomorrow. Looking forward to fishing my favorite summer spot through the ice for the first time!

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:16 AM »
Everyone be safe and check the ice as you go. Doesn't look like anyones been out that far yet.

Offline macado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Not sure about the bay, but don't drive anywhere near the mouth... unless you hate your car! We've been driving on Malletts Bay for at least a month, so I'd head there.

Thanks! Doesn't sound too promising then to try driving out then. :-(

There is a specific wreck we want to hit that is in that area and it's right off Red Rock Point.   We're probably going to head up next Friday and scout out available options and ice thickness, try to walk out there from Red Rocks Park / Queen City Park.   It's about .7 miles from beach area so that would kind of suck lugging gear that far.

If that looks too sketchy there are some shallow wrecks near the breakwater in downtown Burlington that we can walk to from shore.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Diving under the ice sounds terrifying. Make sure you mark the hole you dive through so someone not trying to dive doesnt haha

Offline macado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Will do!  We always mark it with orange cones and caution tape and try to fill it back in as best as possible

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Fished the shoal yesterday.  Few folks came out behind me.  I caught 2 Lakers in 4.5/5 hours, it was slow but sun was high.  Curious how the folks did since I left mid morning.  Ice was good.  Noisey with that high sun.  It's blocky but solid and consistent through the narrow crossing from oakledge.  Haven't been out on hard ice there for about 4-5 year's.  Felt good!  Easy 7-9" consistent.

B

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Slow day today. 4 landed, one break off on a tip up, and one freight train hit on he jig stick that I couldn’t stick the hook in. 15 or so flags lots of run and drops. There are a couple cracks near shore at oak ledge and then out on the shoal. Wouldn’t bring a wheeler out yet, but buddies snow dog went no problem!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:05 PM »
We stayed away from others and did OK.  One big fish and others medium.  First hole we cut I got hammered by a solid fish only to have him knock my jig out of his mouth when I got his head in the hole. 

Back out tomorrow!

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Fished the shoal yesterday.  Few folks came out behind me.  I caught 2 Lakers in 4.5/5 hours, it was slow but sun was high.  Curious how the folks did since I left mid morning.  Ice was good.  Noisey with that high sun.  It's blocky but solid and consistent through the narrow crossing from oakledge.  Haven't been out on hard ice there for about 4-5 year's.  Felt good!  Easy 7-9" consistent.

B
We were about the third group out with the red eskimo. Guys next to us landed one, but we got skunked  :(

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Well that was a bust. Went early afternoon and left at 3:30.
Fished 3 humps on the shoal, had only a single chase and missed the strike because some yahoo walked all that way out where I was to chat me up and distracted me from focusing on my flasher. didn't mark anything, bait or lakers on the humps.
Oh well left and went found some yellows as a consolation prize.
Was great fishing in a tee shirt! Weather was awesome, lots of people walking out from the park to Dunder Rock, guys fishing way over north of Juniper too.

Offline macado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:18 AM »
Walking out from Oakledge Park or Red Rocks Park?

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:55 AM »
We went from oak ledge and that seems to be where others accessed as well. There are a couple cracks that are about 50yds out. With the snow they may be covered but will still be visible. 9+ inches on both sides of them so shouldn’t be an issue crossing on foot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.