Author Topic: How long a rod can you use for jigging inside a Clam Scout flip-over?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just picked up a Frabill straight line 101 combo.  This has a 32" quick-tip rod.  I am concerned that this may be too long to use for jigging in my Clam Scout TC flip-over shanty.  I can't try it out for size because my Scout is currently at my cottage 4 hrs away, waiting for ice.  How long a rod have you used in the Scout?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have used 28 inchers in there no issues. You will be fine with that quick tip.btw will be a fun rod to use.I have 2 27s and love them.getting a 32 and a 40 for hole hopping.the 40 is ice hunter series.
Fishin red lines

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
I like the 18"-20" in my scout. If I get to long I will be real close to my heater that I have in front of me. It should work OK for you, I would go any longer tho

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
The roof in the scout isn't very high, i own an otter with a 6' roof height and am wondering if i can get away with a 32". I'm thinking you can do it, but i would be pretty careful when setting the hook and also take care not to have a heater, flasher or camera stationed in front of you as you will likely hit it when setting the hook.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
The reason being i just watched an in depth outdoors episode where the host was fishing in an otter lodge (very high roof, i think 6 1/2') and he was fishing with a 36" quiver stick but was fishing on his knees on the ice. It occured to me after the video was over that quite possibly the reason he was kneeling on the ice was due to the length of the rod?

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fish in my otter lodge with all my 32" rods and have never had clearance issues. 

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
To be honest, I wasn't even considering the height issue - I was worried about the length of the rod as it relates to the fishable area in front of you.  Since the seat cannot be slid back, will a 32" rod have me jigging too close to (or even beyond!) the front door of the Scout?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 i use a 30 ice blue in mine no problem same with a 28 inch gander gsx 2 inch is not going to matter i have a frabill recon 1 man with aboutthe same sizes as yours. got to remember it is ware you position your holes at.  if you get a fish on it puts a bend in the rod so you can't hit the front wall with  the door most of the time . ya i like my shorter rods 14-18 inches casue i can  stare down the hole at fish and see when they bite the lure. any way best of luck hope this info helps.   

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline tdobb

• IceShanty Rookie
I have on numerous occasions used a 32" powernoodle in my scout without issue.  It might be a stretch, but can be done.  Ideally though, I think 28" is the max I would want to use if I fished inside all the time.

Take care,
Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.