Author Topic: Buddy Heater Sometimes Works Sometimes Doesnt Model MH9B  (Read 2025 times)

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
I've had this older Buddy Heater and have always had issues with it.
Sometimes it works with out issues, sometimes it works for a bit then turns off and sometime I can't light it at all.
Always figured it was the tip over switch sticking or not working correctly but when I opened the heater up there doesn't seem to be one?
At least not in the same spot as the newer models

Does anyone know if this model has the tip over switch and where it is located?
If not does anyone else have any ideas what the issue could be?
Always use 1 pound tanks outside temperature should not be a issue as I have had the same issues in my heater garage.

Couple pictures attached
https://imgur.com/a/TV1lUtc

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Buddy Heater Sometimes Works Sometimes Doesnt Model MH9B
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:43 PM »
It has a tip over switch. You can hold it upright and smack it on one end a few times with your hand. The switch has a small ball in it that can get stuck in the wrong position and this may jar it loose.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:46 PM »
Any idea where it is?
Followed this video but there is nothing in this location

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:22 PM »
If you google an exploded view of that model heater you will know as much as I do. I thought about disabling the switch in my heater of the same model, but I don't have the problem and I'm not sure what would happen if I tipped the heater and liquid propane got to the burner. One of my friends tipped a sunflower heater  over and  it burned his Ontario shack in about ten seconds.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:55 AM »
 ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:28 AM »
Actually, yours may NOT have a tip switch.....when I bought my two heaters years ago, the salesman told me that there were some models mixed in that didn't have the switch. Was fine by me. Sure enough, fired both up when I got home, and one didn't. I actually like that...I use it in the garage (sitting on floor) when washing my truck. Can pick it up and move it around without it going out. It looks just like yours, date code is different of course, so you may have other issues....? I don't know when they started putting in tip switches or how to decipher their date code, though.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Easy to tell if it has one...tip it over while its lit.shuts off when tipped there is one.

Offline danger1337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:31 PM »
Easy to tell if it has one...tip it over while its lit.shuts off when tipped there is one.
Not if it sticking no?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:46 PM »
If it lights sometimes its not stuck closed.if it lights put it on its side and if it shuts off it has a tipover switch.ive never had a mr heater that the switch stuck open.if it was it fire up great.mr heater co recommended rapping it with your hand a few times if you think its stuck.not kidding either.lol ive had so many buddy heater problems lighting over the years.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:07 AM »
If it lights sometimes its not stuck closed.if it lights put it on its side and if it shuts off it has a tipover switch.ive never had a mr heater that the switch stuck open.if it was it fire up great.mr heater co recommended rapping it with your hand a few times if you think its stuck.not kidding either.lol ive had so many buddy heater problems lighting over the years.

Ya, but then you have trouble using a fork.... :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2021, 07:49 AM »
I often have a propane/air mixture issue.  I can't get the pilot light to light and stay on when starting.  So I put a torch to it trying to light the pilot.  I can see the air flow pushing when it's not lighting.  Once I get it burning, it stays on.  Thinking the horror if I ever go ice fishing without a little pocket torch lighter.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2021, 08:09 AM »
I fired mine up in the garage yday...and for the first time ever, didn't want to light. I know there's no issues with it, but I had put on a 1 lb'er that was really low on propane, just about done. Figured that might be it. Switched out for a new one, and it took right off. They seem touchy on starting if can is really cold or low, I've found.

Side note: the 1lber's are still non-existent at Walmart, Menards, Lowes, Northern Tool....everywhere around here. I scored a 4 pk at Home Deep-in-poo yday. Had a pile of 'em in the plumbing aisle on bottom shelf under the Mapp gas torches. Maybe that's why; no one could find 'em there.  ;D

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2021, 11:33 AM »
I use a line with a 20lbs tank. If there is any kind of air it wont light. When I first hook it up I have to purge the air out by holding down on the button for a while. Then for first light it takes multiple clicks of the pilot light before the pilot light is lit. After first use it shuts down and on great. Worth a try weather your connected to to a hose or directly to a tank try purging air out by holding down on the button for a little bit.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Good idea...I'll try that! Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.