Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 2677 times)

Offline bbuenzow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Big Creek
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 06:17 PM »
 ???Has anyone been out on Big Creek lately and had any luck? Haven't been hearing many reports from there as compared to last year. Might head that way this weekend sometime. Thanks for any reports!!

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:33 PM »
The fish I found MOnday morning before work were relating to structure a little shallower than where I had found them during my last few trips a couple of weeks ago. Found fish on breaks and structure in around 20ft of water, where I had been contacting them in the 30+ foot range before. In two hours I managed a mixed bag of 30 fish...eyes, crappie, and gills. Good sized gills, decent to small crappies, and sublegal eyes. GOod luck out there as the snow SUCKS to trudge through right now (especially with getting more), and there are some spots up north that have iffy ice at best....however, there are vehicles in places on the southern half.
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline bbuenzow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2004, 09:11 AM »
Thanks for the update. May or may not head there today or tomorrow. Will post any results. Thanks.

buzzdpm

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:06 PM »
Fished Big Creek this evening for a couple hrs, caught 6 crappies, no one I talked to on the ice caught any more than 7.  They were only active for an hour or so, then went dead. Fun but cold and wet, lots of standing water under the snow.

fishfinger

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:32 PM »
Went to Big Creek before dark.....made holes from 45-15 foot of water.....nothing on the vex..was out from first boat dock off Polk City side....what's up?   anyone getting anything?

Offline bbuenzow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2004, 08:09 AM »
I wasn't able to get out this weekend. I have heard that some guys have been catching a variety of fish on the south end of the lake in the evenings. Not sure exactly where though. Nothing else to report.

fishfinger

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2004, 08:33 PM »
Went to Big Creek last night from 4 til 8...was in 37' of water off east side boat dock...lots of fish on the vexilar..right off bottom and 20' down...tried swedish pimple with a minnow head jigging off bottom..by the vex it had to be right in front of their noses but no hits...had one on for a few seconds but I think I just snagged it...wouldn't suggest anyone go near the beach area...it was open water from there to the rock jetty clear across the other side just 3-4 weeks ago..ducks and geese kept it open....saw one pickup parked not too far from that area last night

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:51 AM »
A guy i know droped a camera on fish that wont bite on big creek. They were drum.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

fishfinger

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2004, 01:34 AM »
Tried Big Creek from 5-10. Crappies 20' down in 40' of water on south end of lake....most barely cleaning size...6 of them 12" though....they didn't start biting til around 8.

fishfinger

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:58 PM »
On Big Creek last night from 6-10 PM...40' of water on west side of lake south of first boat dock...vex showed mass of fish from 28-36 ft down....couldn't get anything but small crappies....buddy had on something big for a couple of minutes...tard didn't have his drag loose enough and snapped his line when he got the fish up to the hole..sucks for him..whatever it was it was a good one...guys still driving on the ice with full size pickups..not this fat boy...I rigged a cheap ice sled out of a cement mixing pan I got at Home Depot...bungee cord everything down...haven't dumped it over yet..anyone getting anything anywhere?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.