Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit/Boji  (Read 15159 times)

Offline Gillzillia

• IceShanty Rookie
Spirit/Boji
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:34 AM »
Thinking about bringing the girls out for a day of fishing (Saturday AM).

Is anything happening on Spirit and/or Boji? Is the ice safe?

Thanks!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spirit/Boji
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:01 AM »
There is some safe ice. Its not hard to find, look for the shacks. I have been out a few times with good success but I like fishing dirty water. Many do not. God luck. Any bait shop will point you in the right direction.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:07 PM »
We fished Angler's Bay Mon morning and it was slow going. Used cameras down the holes and could hardly see a fish, kept a couple sumo perch and let small gills go and left. Went on Minnie and did alright late in the day. RH
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline fishwater45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Anglers bay yesturday afternoon.....6 inches of ice.   Slow fishing, saw lots. Water clarity wasn't too bad.

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Ice Report (per Kabele's):
Big Spirit: 6-8"
East O: 5"
Triboji: 2-3"
Miller's: 3"~
Minnewashta: 6"+

The report said to use caution on Miller's and Triboji.. That's a little thin for me yet, after this cold front pushes through it should make some good ice gains. Be safe!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Smith bay has good ice but dirty water and not many fish. Miller's has ice but slushy on top. Some perch with a lot of sorting but I didn't see any bluegills.  There was a pile of shacks in the canals , maybe there is some in there.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:26 AM »
My Dad actually fished the Canals yesterday, said it was slow going.. Picked up a few Bluegills but didn't see much. Said it had been good in there in previous days.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Got out from Marble on Spirit this morning for a little over an hour before work. Marked a few fish in 12-14' but action wasn't hot. Ice was 7-8" in the holes.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2016, 11:08 AM »
I don't fish the analysis ever since the day some guy set up so close we could see his jig. I was heading back up today to fish somewhere but the weather at Sheldon was nasty and I didn't feel like spending the night to end up there and have a cranky family.  We got hardly any snow in Sioux Center but it was coming down hard east of us with wind too.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
Okoboji/Spirit Lake
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Anyone been out on either of the IGL? I'm hoping to go tomorrow and wondering if the bite has been ok? Where did you go and where were some places people have been talking about? I've been out once on Big Spirit and caught a few perch and walleyes but the bite wasn't great.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:41 PM »
There must be a heck of a bite on the north end of West. There's shacks everywhere up there.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Was out last night on west side of Spirit from about 4:30-6. Got a few smaller walleye, 1 eater size, and a bonus jumbo perch. Ice was around 7-8" and saw 1 ATV out.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:49 AM »
Perch are coming off of the north end. A lot of atvs in use also. If your not catching anything, move.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:29 AM »
The reason there are people on the north end is because it has the best ice. I have limited everytime on spirit this year on oerch and walleyes. Atv with good tires or snowmobile is necessary there.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Any places that are walkable?

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:26 AM »
The reason there are people on the north end is because it has the best ice. I have limited everytime on spirit this year on oerch and walleyes. Atv with good tires or snowmobile is necessary there.

What do you mean by good tires?   Do you need studs or will chains on the rear of a n ATV work? 

Thanks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:15 AM »
What do you mean by good tires?   Do you need studs or will chains on the rear of a n ATV work? 

Thanks
X2?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:58 AM »
 If you look at some ATVs the owners have let the tires get pretty worn. There is some snow on the ice so slick tires won't work very well

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I was hoping to get an answer on the slush pockets. I'm wondering if an atv is good to go or if I will just be falling through slush pockets the whole time.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:25 AM »
If you look at some ATVs the owners have let the tires get pretty worn. There is some snow on the ice so slick tires won't work very well

Thanks.  Never had my ATV a big lake for fishing.  I use it to plow the snow off my neighbors farm pond.   He likes to let more light in.  I use chains on my tires, but saw some tires with studs for cheap on Craigslist a few weeks ago.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Spirit is pretty easy going with a wheeler. At least where we were. Not much snow at all and what was there was as hard as could be. Could of done it in two wheel drive if I wanted to.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:19 PM »
It's been awfully quiet here lately!

Spirit was super slow on Sunday. It was my first time trying for perch there this winter.  I think sunny days may be the key. It was pretty slow for us and we moved around quite a bit. A lot of folks driving on. Wheeler is the best option. I even watch a wheeler almost get stuck in a slush pocket. Stay away from the drifts. Ice was 12-15 inches. Absolutely crazy to be driving on it if you ask me. Seems like the bite on East and West is best before 10 am. Getting out early seems to help a lot on filling the bucket. A lot of people driving on West too. Still crazy. A pickup went through on West last weekend. I can't believe more haven't gone through yet. Especially on Spirit. Be careful out there folks. I had a friend drive out on a bay on West because other people were doing it and he measured 12 inches where he was at. Held his breath and turned around.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:54 PM »
Anyone notice how people are all over in unusual spots? I was on Emerson Sunday, got 15 bluegills, but there were people everywhere. In places I have never seen anyone fish before.

Offline Ken1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I'm heading up to Boji this weekend. Has any one been off Gull point where every one was killing the perch last year? I love catching Perch anyone got any tips/advise on where I should try on West Okoboji?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:52 AM »
I haven't fished there but I could see people there on Sunday

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:58 PM »
I'm heading up to Boji this weekend. Has any one been off Gull point where every one was killing the perch last year? I love catching Perch anyone got any tips/advise on where I should try on West Okoboji?
Pretty slow up there last I heard but getting a few.

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Saw 2 walleye 28"+ on Kabele's FB page this week looks like both were being kept for taxidermy... to each his own but doesnt seem like there is that many big fish in this lake lots of dink 12" every year

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Walleye fishing has taken a dump ever since the slot limit came into effect. I have caught one this year, about 14 1/2". Okoboji walleye have no trouble growing,  why not a 15 or 16" minimum. You would still get spawners, maybe 2-3 from every fish. As far as 28", might as well keep those from a management perspective. At least every other species is doing great.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Caught and cleaned so many fish off west lake since Monday I believe I'll go to Sioux county the rest of the week to visit friends.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Going to visit friends is the line I use when I skip church and go fishing.

Are you retired?  I have approximately 900 years before I retire. I am going the next 2 days at least and maybe Saturday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.